IS THE “PRESENT DEFINITION, DIAGNOSIS & TREATMENT OF FEVER”
REFLECTS ONLY A PART OF FEVER?
Contemporary fever definition refers to just an elevation in body temperature. So the diagnosis of fever is limited to measuring temperature with thermometers and treating of fever completes with heat reduction methods. Based on this approach, can it give a satisfactory explanation to the following questions about fever?
• As we are aware, there will be more heat on the body during fever. But when we cover our body with a non-conductor of heat, like blankets during fever, we feel comfortable. (By exposed to sun light for some time, it can increase the body temperature. If we cover our body with a blanket, we will feel discomfort.) Why?
• During fever the body heat increases, but our body is involved in many heat increasing activities like, increased heart beat, shivering, etc. Why?
• Why the symptoms like fatigueness of mind and body, lack of appetite, lack of taste for food, decrease in motion, dislike of cold items, etc. are common in almost all fever patients?
As the current fever definition, diagnosis and treatment covers only a part of fever-“temperature”, none of the above questions can be answered. So we should have to rethink/analyse the fever definition, diagnosis and treatment.
• Fever is not just a mere increase in temperature. In some fever there is no increment in temperature at all (e.g.: Inner fever). There may not be any increment in temperature in the beginning and ending days of fever. The Increment in temperature is just a part of the fever.
• Fever consists of increased temperature, fatigue to mind and body, shivering of muscles, reduced appetite, reluctance to cold items, liking of warmth by covering the body, reduced motion, indigestion, etc.
• When we correlate and compare the definition, diagnosis and treatment of fever, with the *rudimentary knowledge, we can find that there is no scientific base. It necessitates comprehensive approach to the fever. After observation and practice for a long time, we have developed a fever definition, diagnosis and treatments, which can explain all queries related with fever. It correlates the messages from our body, matching with scientific approach and our traditional/conservative knowledge.
So we can arrive at a new definition for fever. “When the body or its parts are affected with some fatigue, it undergoes a self defence mechanism that allows it to take rest and prevent the heat from further deterioration”.
(To prevent loss of heat from the body, heat is kept in different planes. It can be understood in a simple manner as the inner heat and the outer heat. The internal heat of the body or a part of it may decrease due to physiological, mental and circumstantial reasons. For maintaining proper health, a certain level of heat is mandatory. If the heat decreases than a certain level, it is fatal for the organ or the body and there is a threat for even life. So when we lose heat, body will watch it till a limit and then will initiate its life saving act. To avoid further loss from the existing heat of the body, rest is necessary. Body achieves rest, by making many difficulties for the normal functioning).
* “Our understanding of the neural basis of thermoregulation and fever is still rudimentary. The role of fever in the defence reaction is not clear. paracetamol may cause fever” (Page 159,160, 170)
Pharmacology and Pharmacotherapeutics. R.S. Satoskar, - Revised xix Edition.