Julian Granberry's scientific contributions

Publication (1)

Article
This work formulates a testable hypothesis of the origins and migration patterns of the aboriginal peoples of the Greater Antilles (Cuba, Jamaica, Hispaniola, and Puerto Rico), the Lucayan Islands (the Commonwealth of the Bahamas and the Crown Colony of the Turks and Caicos), the Virgin Islands, and the northernmost of the Leeward Islands, prior to...

Citations

... Of the interviews I was able to conduct, the interviewees overwhelmingly supported language restoration -90% of interviewees said they strongly support the idea of Taíno language restoration programs, with the remaining 10% moderately supporting such work. However, after centuries of genocide, there is no consensus on how Taíno was even spoken and crafted in pre-colonial times, let alone how to revitalize its usage in modern times (Feliciano-Santos, 2017; Granberry & Vescelius, 2004;Keegan & Carlson, 2008;Rat, 1898) . Taíno is a "sleeping language" in that it isn't fully "extinct" -there is a diverse lexicon recorded in texts and maintained through persisting place names and facets of Caribbean dialects -but the language isn't robustly "living" either in that it isn't widely spoken and there are many unknowns about its linguistic dynamics (Leonard, 2008) . ...