Publications (8)33.12 Total impact
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: Epidemiologic studies are inconsistent regarding the association between folate and coronary heart disease (CHD) risk. The aim was to perform a meta-analysis to determine whether an association exists between folate and total CHD endpoints in prospective studies. We searched the PUBMED and EMBASE databases for studies conducted from 1966 through August 2010. Data were independently abstracted by 2 investigators using a standardized protocol. Study-specific risk estimates were combined by using a random effects model. A total of 14 studies were included in the meta-analysis: 7 studies on dietary folate intake and 8 studies on blood folate levels. For dietary intake, the summary relative risk (RR) indicated a significant association between the highest folate intake and reduced risk of CHD (summary RR: 0.69; 95% CI: 0.60, 0.80). Furthermore, an increase in folate intake of 200 ug/day was associated with a 12% decrease in the risk of developing CHD (summary RR: 0.88; 95% CI: 0.82, 0.94). For blood folate levels, we also found a borderline inverse association of highest blood folate levels on CHD risk (summary RR: 0.74; 95% CI: 0.53, 1.02); our dose-response analysis indicated that an increment in blood folate levels of 5 mmol/l was associated with an 8% decrease in the risk of developing CHD (summary RR: 0.92; 95% CI: 0.84, 1.00). This meta-analysis suggests that dietary folate intake and blood folate level are inversely associated with CHD risk.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: The Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI) recommends testing coagulase-negative staphylococci (CoNS) strains to determine resistance against oxacillin by testing for mecA, PBP2a, or with cefoxitin disk. However, discrepant results of resistance to oxacillin and susceptibility to cefoxitin were found. In this study, we aimed to investigate the oxacillin resistance and cefoxitin susceptibility of CoNS in Taiwan. Of 9,017 strains collected from 2005 to 2010, 131 (1.5%) of the isolates were oxacillin-resistant and cefoxitin-susceptible. Species identification was carried out using the Vitek 2 system or 16S ribosomal RNA sequencing. Oxacillin minimum inhibitory concentrations (MICs) were examined by the agar dilution method. The presence of mecA and the activity of β-lactamase were performed by polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and Cefinase disks, respectively. Overall, 33% (43/129) of the strains carried mecA and 43% (37/86) of mecA-negative isolates tested positive for β-lactamase. The remaining 49 isolates were negative for both mecA and β-lactamase, and were mainly Staphylococcus cohnii ssp. urealyticus and S. saprophyticus (oxacillin MICs 0.5-2 μg/ml) obtained from bloodstream and urinary tract infections. Our study suggests that incorrect reporting can be found in CoNS using cefoxitin disk alone to determine the susceptibility to oxacillin, and the strains should be further tested for oxacillin MICs and detection of the mecA gene or β-lactamase activity.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: The Clinical Laboratory Standards Institute recommends that if both cefoxitin and oxacillin are tested against Staphylococcus aureus and either result is measured as resistant, the organism should be reported as oxacillin resistant. This indicates that discrepancies may be present between oxacillin and cefoxitin sensitivities in S. aureus. In this study, we aimed to investigate the discrepancy between oxacillin and cefoxitin susceptibility in S. aureus clinical isolates. Of 10,980 S. aureus isolates recovered from 2005 to 2010, 27 (0.3%) isolates with discordant results between oxacillin and cefoxitin were collected. Fourteen (oxacillin diameters 10-12 mm) of the 27 strains were susceptible (MICs = 0.5-2 μg/ml) and 13 (6-13 mm) were resistant (4->256 μg/ml) to oxacillin. The cefoxitin MICs of 14 oxacillin-susceptible and 13 oxacillin-resistant strains ranged between 4 and 8 and 8 to 32 μg/ml, respectively. Discrepancies were present between oxacillin and cefoxitin in S. aureus, and these strains should be further tested for oxacillin MICs and for the mecA gene or β-lactamase activity.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: Malignant pleural effusion (MPE) accompanying lung adenocarcinoma indicates poor prognosis and early metastasis. This study aimed to identify genes related to MPE formation. Three tissue sample cohorts, seven from healthy lungs, 18 from stage I-III lung adenocarcinoma with adjacent healthy lung tissue and 13 from lung adenocarcinomas with MPE, were analysed by oligonucleotide microarray. The identified genes were verified by quantitative real-time PCR (qRT-PCR), immunohistochemical staining, and immunofluorescence confocal microscopy. 20 up- or down-regulated genes with a two-fold change in MPE cancer cells compared to healthy tissues were differentially expressed from early- to late-stage lung cancer. Of 13 genes related to cellular metabolism, aldolase A (ALDOA), sorbitol dehydrogenase (SORD), transketolase (TKT), and tuberous sclerosis 1 (TSC1) were related to glucose metabolism. qRT-PCR validated their mRNA expressions in pleural metastatic samples. Immunohistochemical staining confirmed aberrant TKT, ALDOA, and TSC1 expressions in tumour cells. Immunofluorescence confirmed TKT co-localisation and co-distribution of ALDOA with thyroid transcription factor 1-positive cancer cells. TKT regulated the proliferation, vascular endothelial growth factor secretion in vitro and in vivo vascular permeability of cancer cell. Glucose metabolic reprogramming by ALDOA, SORD, TKT and TSC1 is important in MPE pathogenesis.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: The prevalence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in nosocomial staphylococcal infections in Taiwan has exceeded 50% since 2000. However, little relevant data has been available concerning vancomycin-intermediate S. aureus (VISA) and heteroresistant VISA (hVISA). We collected 1,000 MRSA isolates from ten medical center hospitals in Taiwan during 2003. All were initially screened for reduced susceptibility to vancomycin on brain heart infusion (BHI) agar containing 5 mg/L vancomycin. Among 34 MRSA isolates that grew on the screening plates, two VISA isolates (0.2%) and seven hVISA isolates (0.7%) were evident. Vancomycin-resistant S. aureus was not detected. The accessory gene regulator (agr) typing of all 1,000 MRSA strains were typed by multiplex polymerase chain reaction (PCR); 919 strains (91.9%) including the VISA and hVISA isolates belonged to agr group I, 78 strains (7.8%) were agr group II, two strains (0.2%) were agr group III, and one isolate (0.1%) was agr group IV. There was no relationship between sample sites and agr typing. In 2003, the incidence of hVISA and VISA in Taiwan was low. Continued surveillance is recommended, given the implementation of new Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI) criteria for S. aureus and the increasing clinical use of glycopeptides.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: Melioidosis has been well known to be endemic in Thailand and Northern Australia, and was reported sporadically in Taiwan before 2005. We retrospectively analyzed 58 patients with melioidosis in southern Taiwan from 2000 to 2005, including 40 clustered and 18 sporadic cases, for clinical characteristics and antimicrobial susceptibility. Fifty-one (88%) cases were found during the rainy season, and there was a significant correlation between the average monthly rainfalls and the case number (r = 0.37; p = 0.001). Diabetes mellitus was the most common underlying disease (35 cases, 60%). The majority (52 cases, 90%) had never traveled abroad before illness, indicating indigenous acquisition of Burkholderia pseudomallei. In comparison, clustered cases were older, less often had underlying diabetes mellitus and had a shorter duration of clinical symptoms before admission than sporadic cases. Acute form of melioidosis predominated, and shock at admission was independently associated with a grave prognosis. Overall, 22% of 58 patients died in hospitals. Ceftazidime, imipenem, meropenem, amoxicillin/clavulanic acid, co-trimoxazole, and doxycycline, as previously recommended, were the potentially therapeutic choices. The role of piperacillin/ tazobactam for melioidosis remains undefined. Melioidosis can occur sporadically or in a cluster in diabetic patients during rainy seasons in Taiwan.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: Skin and soft tissue infections are the most common presentations of invasive Streptococcus agalactiae infections. This study reviewed 71 patients in a medical centre in southern Taiwan with S. agalactiae soft tissue infections. The mortality rate was 7%, and 11% of patients lost their extremities following extensive tissue necrosis. Critical illness and the presence of cutaneous ulceration heralded a fatal prognosis. Risk-factors for amputation of limbs included advanced age, cutaneous ulceration and polymicrobial infection. It was concluded that invasive S. agalactiae soft tissue infections, as with infections caused by Streptococcus pyogenes, can also lead to substantial morbidity and mortality in non-pregnant adults.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: Two bacteraemic isolates of Aeromonas hydrophila and Klebsiella pneumoniae, Ah-2743 and Kp-129, respectively, were studied for their relative pathogenicity in comparison with Escherichia coli ATCC 25922. Ah-2743 caused significantly higher serum levels of tumour necrosis factor-alpha, interleukin (IL)-1beta or IL-6 in human whole blood, and higher serum IL-1beta and IL-6 levels in infected mice, than did Kp-129 and E. coli ATCC 25922. In addition, in BALB/c mice infected by intraperitoneal inoculation, Ah-2743 caused a higher fatality rate (80%) than did Kp-129 (0%). With intramuscular inoculation, Ah-2743 caused more rapid and intense local accumulation of inflammatory cells than did Kp-129, and myonecrosis was present only in Ah-2743-infected mice. These data indicate that Ah-2743 is more pathogenic than Kp-129 or E. coli ATCC 25922 for BALB/c mice. The cellular components or extracellular factors associated with increased cytokine induction and pathogenicity of A. hydrophila in mice merit further investigation.
National Cheng Kung University Hospital臺南市, Taiwan, Taiwan
National Cheng Kung University
臺南市, Taiwan, Taiwan
- Department of Medicine