Publications (18)43.53 Total impact
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: Vascular manifestations can be seen early in the pathogenesis of inflammatory rheumatic diseases. Animal experiments, laboratory and clinical findings indicated that acute or long-term vibration exposure can induce vascular abnormalities. Recent years, in addition to Raynaud's phenomenon (RP), vibration as a risk factor for other rheumatic diseases has also received corresponding considered. This review is concentrated upon the role of vibration in the disease of systemic sclerosis (SSc). In this review, we are going to discuss the main mechanisms which are thought to be important in pathophysiology of vascular injury under the three broad headings of “vascular”, “neural” and “intravascular”. Aspects on the vibration and vascular inflammation are briefly discussed. And the epidemiological studies related to vibration studies in SSc and other rheumatic diseases are taken into account.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: The distribution of prevalent HIV-1 strains are still complex in China. Men who have sex with men (MSM) play an important bridging role in spreading HIV. The aim of our study was to quantitatively evaluate the prevalence of HIV-1 subtypes among the MSM population in China from published studies. Relevant studies were searched by selection criteria from CNKI, CBM, Pubmed, etc. We computed the estimates of the pooled proportion of HIV-1 subtypes. Heterogeneity between studies was investigated and measured using Cochran’s Q statistic and the I 2 statistic. All analyses were conducted by the R statistical package version 2.13.1. A meta-analysis was performed, which included 19 articles. For comprehensive analysis of env, gag and pol genes, the pooled estimates for the prevalence of subtype B was 28.25% (95% CI: 18.10-39.66%), CRF01_AE was 53.46% (95% CI: 46.11-60.74%), CRF07_BC was 18.66% (95% CI: 13.06-25.01%) and CRF08_BC was 5.85% (95% CI: 2.73-10.07%), respectively. In subgroup analysis, the proportion of subtype B decreased, while the proportion of CRF01_AE and CRF07_BC showed an increasing tendency. Beijing, Guangdong and Henan provinces had high proportions of subtype CRF01_AE while Guangdong and Hebei provinces had the highest proportions of subtype B and CRF07_BC, respectively. A high genetic variability of HIV-1 presents a serious challenge for HIV prevention and treatment strategies among MSM in China.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: Previous research has shown inconsistent effect of systemic sclerosis (SSc) on bone mineral density (BMD). The objective of this study was to perform a meta-analysis of previous articles to investigate the differences in BMD (g/cm(2) ) between SSc and non-SSc populations and to discuss potential underlying mechanisms. Twelve full-text articles (including an outlier study and two studies with identical data) with 662 SSc patients and 886 controls were identified by searching Medline prior to 10 September, 2013 using search terms 'Systemic sclerosis' OR 'scleroderma' and 'osteoporosis' OR 'bone density' OR 'bone mass'. BMD (mean and standard deviation), T-scores and Z-scores at lumbar spine, femoral neck and total hip measured by dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry were extracted. Meta-analysis showed that a lower level of BMD was found in SSc patients, with weighted mean difference of -0.343 (95% CI: -0.500 to -0.186) at femoral neck, -0.084 (95% CI: -0.110 to -0.057) at total hip and -0.104 (95% CI: -0.135 to -0.073) at the lumbar spine. We conclude that patients with SSc may have a lower BMD level than healthy controls.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: Systemic sclerosis is a connective tissue disease characterized with fibrosis of skin and/or internal organs, and its specific pathological mechanism remains incompletely understood. IL-1 family, whose biological properties are typically pro-inflammatory and pro-fibrosis, has been associated with systemic sclerosis (SSc). Interleukin (IL)-1 family has 11 members, IL-1α, IL-1β, IL-1Ra, IL-18, IL-33, IL-36α, IL-36β, IL-36γ, IL-36Ra, IL-37, and IL-38. With the exception of IL-1Ra and IL-36Ra, each member has its own receptor signal. Abnormal expression of IL-1 and its potential role in the fibrosis process have been probed earliest, as well as its gene polymorphisms with SSc. IL-33 and IL-18 have also been discussed in the recent years, and IL-33 may contribute to the fibrosis of SSc, while IL-18 remains to be researched to confirm its role in fibrosis process. There is a lack of studies on the association of the other members of the IL-1 family, which might provide us the future study area; much more efforts need to be put on this matter.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: Background Illicit drug trade has re-emerged in China since 1979 and the number of drug addicts had increased much. Syphilis is a chronic infectious disease mainly spread through sexual contact and blood. The incidence of syphilis was 27.9% among drug users. Methadone maintenance treatment clinics were implemented in China since 2004. Although methadone maintenance treatment clinic was set up in order to prevent the HIV/AIDS epidemic, we found that there were a lot of drug addicts with syphilis. The aim of this study was to estimate the prevalence and risk factors of syphilis among drug users at methadone maintenance treatment clinics in China between 2004 and 2013.Methods Chinese and English database (CBM, CNKI, Weipu, Pubmed) of literature were searched for studies reporting syphilis among drug users in methadone maintenance treatment clinics from 2004 to 2013. The prevalence estimates and risk factors were summarized through a systematic review and meta-analysis of published literatures. All analyses were carried out using the statistical software package R version 2.13.1.ResultsIn all, 29 eligible articles with a total of 8899 drug users, study year from 2004 to 2012, were selected in this review. The pooled prevalence of syphilis infection was 7.78% (95%CI: 5.83%-9.99%). The meta-analyses demonstrated significant difference in syphilis infection rates between men and women (OR = 0.34 [95%CI: 0.26-0.45]) and not significant difference between drug users and non-intravenous drug users (OR = 0.82 [95%CI: 0.51-1.32]).Conclusions Enhance the detection of syphilis at methadone maintenance treatment clinics, strengthen the protection of female and non-intravenous drug users should be the key point of our work in future. We should strengthen the propaganda education and behavioral interventions among drug users.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: Over the past years, several evidences have supported an important role of specific micronutrients, including vitamin A, vitamin D and vitamin E in immune dysfunction, vascular involvement and fibrotic changes involved in systemic sclerosis (SSc) development. In PubMed, eight clinical trials about the therapy of micronutrients on SSc patients were searched out using medical subject headings terms (SSc: "scleroderma, localized", "scleroderma, systemic", "scleroderma, diffuse" and "scleroderma, limited"; vitamins "vitamin A", "thiamin", "riboflavin", "niacin", "pantothenic acid", "vitamin B 6", "biotin", "folic acid", "vitamin B 12", "inositol", "choline", "ascorbic acid", "vitamin D", "vitamin E", "tocopherols", "vitamin K" and "vitamin P"; and minerals: "calcium", "magnesium", "potassium", "sodium", "phosphorus", "sulfur", "chlorine", "iron", "copper", "iodine", "zinc", "selenium", "manganese", "molybdenum", "cobalt", "chromium", "tin", "vanadium", "silicon", "nickel" and "fluorine"). This brief review will summarize current understanding on that for the further prospect of future studies. Though the clinical trials for the treatment of SSc with micronutrients are still in their infancy, more researches are needed to substantiate the current results and accelerate the knowledge in this field.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: Transforming growth factor-β1 (TGF-β1) plays an important role in the pathogenesis of systemic sclerosis (SSc). To investigate whether TGF-β1 gene promoter polymorphisms were associated with the susceptibility of SSc, we performed a meta-analysis based on all available studies through PubMed, Elsevier Science Direct, Embase, and Chinese Biomedical, China National Knowledge Infrastructure and Google Scholar with the last report up to March 15, 2013. Crude odds ratios with 95 % confidence intervals were used to estimate the strength of the association. A fixed or random effects model was adopted according to heterogeneity test. Heterogeneity among studies was evaluated using I 2 . Meta-regression was used to explore potential sources of between-study heterogeneity. Publication bias was estimated using Begg’s and Egger’s test. Totally, seven papers with 663 SSc patients and 908 healthy controls were subjected to the final analysis. These studies encompass seven for TGF-β1 codon 10, three for codon 25 and three for −509C/T. We failed to detect any association of these promoter polymorphism with SSc susceptibility. For TGF-β1 codon 10 polymorphism, subgroup analyses by race, genotype testing method and classification of SSc were further performed. Similarly, no association was observed. Significant heterogeneity was detected among the studies in all genetic models of TGF-β1 codon 10 polymorphism. Publication bias was absent. Taken together, our meta-analysis did not provided an evidence of confirming association between TGF-β1 (codon 10, codon 25, −509C/T) gene polymorphism and SSc. Nevertheless, due to smaller sample sizes, larger sample studies including different ethnic groups should be considered in future to confirm our results.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: Many case-control studies have investigated the role of TGF-β1 gene +869C/T promoter polymorphism in autoimmune diseases, but the results are inconsistent. To clarify this point, we performed a meta-analysis based on all available studies in Pubmed, Elsevier Science Direct, Google Searching, Chinese Biomedical Literature Database, Chinese National Knowledge Infrastructure. Crude odds ratios (ORs) with 95 % confidence intervals were calculated to estimate the strength of the association. A fixed or random effects model was used on the basis of heterogeneity. A total of 21 papers including 2,693 cases and 3,036 controls were considered in the current meta-analysis. These studies encompass two ankylosing spondylitis (AS), eight rheumatoid arthritis (RA), four systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), and seven systemic sclerosis (SSc). The results showed that TGF-β1 +869C/T promoter polymorphism were associated with susceptibility to RA (CC vs. TT: OR = 0.65, 95 % CI = 0.48-0.88, P = 0.005; CC vs. CT + TT: OR = 0.56, 95 % CI = 0.45-0.69, P = 0.000; C vs. T: OR = 0.81, 95 % CI = 0.71-0.93, P = 0.003). When stratified by race, significant association was observed only in Asian population. However, we failed to reveal the association between this gene promoter polymorphism and AS, SLE, and SSc. Therefore, this meta-analysis suggests a possible association between TGF-β1 +869C/T promoter polymorphism and RA, especially in Asian population.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: Introduction: Systemic sclerosis (SSc) is a systemic autoimmune disease of unknown cause characterized by microvasculopathy, fibroblast activation, and excessive production of collagen, causing tissue and organ damage. Effective medical treatment for SSc is lacking because the etiology and pathogenesis of SSc are not fully understood. MicroRNAs (miRNAs) are endogenous, regulatory, single-stranded, noncoding RNAs that negatively modulate gene expression by either promoting the degradation of mRNA or down-regulating the protein production by translational repression. Among them, miRNA-29 is recently discovered as a class of miRNAs which is related to fibrotic disease. Numerous evidences have confirmed that miRNA-29 involved in the expression of extracellular matrix (ECM) and regulated organ fibrosis. These findings revealed a potential and appealing role for miRNA-29 as SSc therapeutic targets. Areas covered: This review provides a comprehensive view on the biogenesis and functions of miRNAs. We also discuss the aberrant expression of miRNA-29 in SSc, and summarize current understanding of miRNA-29 involved in the process of fibrosis. Finally, we discuss the therapeutic potential of targeting miRNA-29 in SSc. Expert opinion: Although the exact pathogenesis of SSc still remains to be clarified, Targeting miRNA-29 may serve as a promising therapy strategy.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: Matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) are the main enzymes involved in arterial wall extracellular matrix (ECM) degradation and remodeling, whose activity has been involved in various normal and pathologic processes, such as inflammation, fibrosis. As a result, the MMPs have come to consider as both therapeutic targets and diagnostic tools for the treatment and diagnosis of autoimmune diseases, including systemic lupus erythematosus and rheumatoid arthritis. Systemic sclerosis (SSc) is a rare autoimmune disease of unknown etiology characterized by an excessive over-production of collagen and other ECM, resulting in skin thickening and fibrosis of internal organs. In recent years, abnormal expression of MMPs has been demonstrated with the pathogenesis of SSc, and the association of different polymorphisms on MMPs genes with SSc has been extensively studied. This review describes the structure, function and regulation of MMPs and shortly summarizes current understanding on experimental findings, genetic associations of MMPs in SSc.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: The role of matrix metalloproteinase 9 (MMP-9) expression in non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) remains controversial. We performed a systematic review of the literature with meta-analysis. Electronic databases were used to identify published studies before December 1, 2011. Pooled hazard ratio (HR) with 95% confidence interval (95% CI) was used to estimate the strength of the association between MMP-9 expression survival of NSCLC patients. Heterogeneity and publication bias were also assessed. The final analysis of 2029 NSCLC cases from 17 studies is presented. The combined HR of 1.84 (95% CI: 1.62-2.09) suggested that MMP-9 over-expression had a poor prognosis in patients with NSCLC. Subgroup analyses also detected significant association. Heterogeneity and publication bias was absent in current meta-analysis. Sensitivity analyses suggested that the summary statistics obtained should approximate the actual average. High MMP-9 expression is associated with a poor prognosis in patients with NSCLC.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: Many environmental and genetic factors have been contributed to the development of systemic sclerosis (SSc). To determine whether IL-10 gene polymorphisms are associated with SSc, we conducted a meta-analysis approach. A total of eight studies involving 1,034 SSc cases and 1,815 controls were obtained by electronic database, i.e. Embase, Blackwell, Scopus, China National Knowledge Infrastructure database, Chinese Biomedical database, Google searching. We analyzed three gene polymorphisms, including IL-10 -1082G/A (rs1800896), IL-10 -819C/T (rs1800871), IL-10 -3575T/A (rs1800890). The combined odds ratio (OR) with its 95% confidence interval (95% CI) was calculated using fixed or random effect models. We found that IL-10 819C allele might contribute to SSc susceptibility by fixed effect model and IL-10 3575A allele could be an important risk factor for SSc, especially in European descent. No significant heterogeneity were observed. Under random effect model, there was no evidence of statistically significant association between IL-10 1082G/A polymorphism and SSc. Publication bias was absent in all analyses. However, larger scale primary studies are required to further evaluate the IL-10 polymorphism and SSc.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: We conducted a comprehensive meta-analysis to quantitatively evaluate the association of cytokine gene polymorphisms with systemic sclerosis (SSc) susceptibility. Electronic databases were used to identify published studies before July 2011. In total, 23 case-control studies including 3524 SSc cases and 6086 healthy controls were included in the meta-analysis. We examined the relationship between five gene polymorphisms [cytotoxic T lymphocyte associated antigen 4 (CTLA-4) -1722T/C, CTLA-4 -318C/T, CTLA-4 +49A/G, angiotensin-converting enzyme I/D, STAT-4 rs7574865] and susceptibility to SSc. The combined odds ratio (OR) with 95% confidence interval (95% CI) was calculated to estimate the strength of the association in a fixed or random effect model. Heterogeneity and publication bias were also assessed. We found a significant association between SSc and STAT rs7574865 (TT vs. GG: OR 0.44, 95% CI 0.36-0.54; TT vs. TG + GG: OR 0.48, 95% CI 0.39-0.59; TT + TG vs. GG: OR 0.74, 95% CI 0.66-0.83; T vs. G: OR 0.72, 95% CI 0.66-0.79), but there were no other statistically significant associations with other gene polymorphisms. Our study suggested that SSc is associated with STAT gene rs7574865 polymorphism.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: The aim of this study was to evaluate the association between various cytokine gene polymorphisms and lung cancer (LC) susceptibility. We searched Pubmed, Elsevier Science Direct, China National Knowledge Infrastructure database, Chinese Biomedical database, Google scholar. Totally, 20 studies involving 6,467 cases and 8,320 controls were included in the meta-analysis. The effects of eight polymorphisms, i.e. TNF-α 308G/A, IL-6 174G/C, IL-1β 31T/C, IL-1β 511C/T, COX-2 8473T/C, IL-10 1082G/A, IL-10 819C/T, and IL-10 592C/A were evaluated. The combined odds ratio (OR) with 95% confidence interval (95% CI) was calculated to estimate the strength of the association in a fixed or random effect model. Heterogeneity and publication bias were also assessed. We found a significant association between IL-10 polymorphism and LC. For IL-10 1082G/A, the overall ORs (95% CI) of the G versus A, GG versus AA, and GG/GA versus AA were 2.35 (1.16-4.76), 2.07 (1.16-3.70) and 3.17 (1.31-7.68), respectively. For IL-10 819C/T, the pooled ORs (95% CI) of the C versus T and CC versus TT were 1.27 (1.01-1.58) and 2.27 (1.32-3.89). For IL-10 592C/A, the comparison of subjects in the CC or CC/CA genotype versus AA homozygotes showed significant results (OR = 2.00, 95% CI: 1.24-3.23; OR = 1.80, 95% CI: 1.28-2.54). But, other gene polymorphisms did not reach statistical associations. IL-10 1082G/A, 819C/T and 592C/A polymorphisms might be risk factors for LC. TNF-α 308G/A, IL-6 174G/C, IL-1β 31T/C, IL-1β 511C/T, COX-2 8473T/C polymorphisms were not detected to be related to the risk for LC. Due to the limitation of the number of the studies, we should take the conclusion with caution. While, further studies are necessary for more precise association.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: This study aims at deriving a general description of the prevalence of unprotected anal intercourse among HIV-positive MSM in China using published epidemiological research. Comprehensively searching Wanfang, Weipu, China Biological Medicine (CBM), Chinese National Knowledge Infrastructure (CNKI) and Pubmed databases in the systematic review. Meta-analysis were conducted over a final set of nineteen studies (n=1603). The pooled prevalence of unprotected anal intercourse among HIV-positive MSM was 75.4% (95% CI: 67.5%∼82.5%) and unprotected vaginal intercourse was 68.0% (95% CI: 46.0%∼86.4%). The prevalence of unprotected anal intercourse differed significantly in sampling method, data collection method, sample size, location, recruitment setting and data collection period. Studies with the following features had a higher prevalence of unprotected anal intercourse: recruiting participants from 2005 to 2007, sample size being below 50, recruiting participants from MSM venues/internet, using convenience sampling, study location being Chongqing city, and using interviewer administered questionnaire. Findings from this meta-analysis indicate that a majority percentage of HIV-positive MSM engage in unprotected sexual behavior. So that place their sex partners at risk for infecting HIV and also place themselves at risk for other sexually transmitted diseases. An effective strategy for prevention and control is required for this specific population in China.
Anhui Medical University
Luchow, Anhui Sheng, China
- Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics