Masoud Moradi

Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Teheran, Tehrān, Iran

Are you Masoud Moradi?

Claim your profile

Publications (2)1.88 Total impact

  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Burn wound infection is a major cause of morbidity and mortality in burn victims. Pseudomonas and Acinetobacter species are among the most common organisms complicating burn wounds. Presence of extended spectrum β-lactamase (ESBL) and metallo-β-lactamase (MBL) genes plays an important role in spreading β-lactam resistant strains of these organisms and is a serious condition in the treatment of the affected patients. As a result, we aimed to determine the prevalence of SHV, TEM, PER and VIM β-lactamases in Pseudomonas and Acinetobacter species isolates from burn wound swabs of children with burn injury. In this descriptive observational study, 107 Pseudomonas and Acinetobacter isolates collected from burn patients were subjected to PCR assay. Using PCR method and DNA sequencing, the existence of SHV-, TEM-, PER- and VIM-type β-lactamase encoding genes were determined. Out of the 107 Pseudomonas and Acinetobacter isolates, 66 (77.6%) were ESBL positive, 26.2% were positive for SHV gene, 37.4% were positive for TEM gene, 14% were positive for PER gene and 15.9% of them harbored VIM gene. More than half of the Pseudomonas and Acinetobacter strains in our pediatric burn unit harbor β-lactamase encoding genes that make them resistant to a wide range of β-lactam antibiotics. Consequently, it is suggested to choose an appropriate antibiotic regimen based on the antibiogram pattern of the strains. © 2015, Mediterranean Club for Burns and Fire Disasters. All rights reserved.
    No preview · Article · Sep 2015
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Infections remain the leading cause of death in burn patients. Immune responses play an important role in patient's defense mechanism against infection and decreasing morbidity and mortality associated with burn. Our goal was to determine serum immunoglobulin levels in pediatric burn patients in order to understand role of humoral immune defense in these patients. During this analytic cross sectional study from January 2011 to February 2012, all patients with burn and younger than 6 years old that were referred to Shahid Motahari burn and reconstruction center were enrolled. Patients had no inhalation injury or sepsis. Immunoglobulin levels were measured once on 3–5 days after burn. The burn size in 12 patients (24%) was less than 30%, in 30 patients (60%) were between 30% and 50% and in the remained 8 patients (16%) were more than 50%. In 45 patients (90%) depth and severity of burn were 2nd degree (superficial and deep) and in the remaining 5 patients (10%), it was 3rd or 4th degree. In 28 (56%), 1 (2%), 3 (6%), 35 (70%), 48 (96%), 19 (38%) and 6 (12%) patients IgG, IgM, IgA, IgG1, IgG2, IgG3 and IgG4 were lower than normal values, respectively. No significant correlation was seen between burn size (TBSA) and value of immunoglobulin (P > 0.05). Although the drop in the serum concentration of immunoglobulins is irrespective to the burn size, more severe burn is associated with more decrease in the serum levels of IgA, IgM, IgG and its subclasses. However, further studies are needed to provide complementary data on this issue.
    No preview · Article · May 2013 · Burns: journal of the International Society for Burn Injuries