Publications (15)25.19 Total impact
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: To explore the relationship between the external validity and the internal validity of hypertension RCTs conducted in China.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: To examine the reporting characteristics and key methodological factors of RCTs in the field of traditional Chinese medicine and assess whether use of the CONSORT statement is associated with improvement in the quality of reports of RCTs. RCTs published in two major traditional Chinese medicine journals were retrieved and were systematically reviewed. Of those journals, one adopted the CONSORT statement (Journal of Chinese Integrative Medicine, JCIM) and one did not (Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine, CJIM). Items within the CONSORT 2001 and the CONSORT 2010 statements were taken to develop a 63-item coding manual. The Jadad scale was also used to assess methodological quality of RCTs. Two observers assessed the reporting of reports and extracted data independently. P<0.05 was considered statistically significant. SPSS was used for all analyses. A total of 76 RCTs were included for the analysis (38 from JCIM and 38 from CJIM). Significant improvements both in the overall quality of reporting (CONSORT score) and reporting of methodological items (Jadad scale) over time were observed in adopter journal (JCIM) (P = 0.001). Overall CONSORT score of studies published during 2010ཞ2011 (post-CONSORT) increased 15.30 averagely with 95%CI 8.34 to 22.26 (P = 0.001). Of those, items addressed on reporting of methodological quality were different significantly too. JCIM had more 1.30 items addressed than CJIM in average (95% CI 0.52 to 2.08, P = 0.003) . In the multivariate analysis regression, the page length and CONSORT-promoting status have statistically significant associated with the (P = 0.001, P = 0.040 respectively). Although a large room needs to improve the reporting of randomized clinical trials in traditional Chinese medicine, the impact for improvement of reporting of TCM RCTs has been proven in some extent. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: To find a credible nutritional screening tool for evaluating relationship between nutritional status and diseases in Chengdu female residents, the reliability and validity of a revised semi-quantitative food frequency questionnaire (SQFFQ) were tested. The validity was assessed by comparing the SQFFQ with the 'standard' method of 3 days' dietary recall, and the reliability was assessed by comparing the first SQFFQ with the second SQFFQ at 4 weeks interval. Correlation analysis showed that, for reliability, the average correlation coefficient (CC) of 22 kinds of nutrients was 0.66 and reduced to 0.60 after adjusting for energy; the average of intra-class correlation coefficients (ICC) was 0.65. For validity, the average CC was 0.35 and remained stable after adjusting for CC of energy or nutrients. Validity of 17 nutrients in SQFFQ survey had correlation with result of 3 days' dietary recall. The results showed that the revised SQFFQ can be used for investigating the role of nutrients in development of disease in Chengdu female residents.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: Background: Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is one of the most common endocrine disorders in women. The data on this syndrome in a Chinese community are limited. Methods: A community-based cross-sectional survey was undertaken. Cluster-randomized sampling was used. Female residents of Chengdu aged between 12 and 44 were included according to the constituent ratio of the female population of Sichuan province. We used three diagnostic criteria to determine the prevalence: the National Institutes of Health diagnostic criteria of PCOS (NIH-1990), the revised Rotterdam diagnostic criteria of PCOS (Rott-2003), and the recommended diagnostic criteria of PCOS by the Androgen Excess Society (AES-2006). Results: 1,645 participants were included. The prevalence of PCOS in women aged between 12 and 44 was 7.1, 11.2 and 7.4%, respectively, according to the three different criteria. After the onset of puberty, the prevalence of PCOS increased rapidly from 12 to 14 years of age, peaked between 15 and 24 and decreased gradually thereafter and reached its lowest point before menopause. Conclusions: The prevalence of PCOS in this study was in the PCOS prevalence range from existing studies. According to the trend of prevalence, PCOS might be a temporary condition.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: Objectives: Shuganjieyu capsule is a pure herbal pharmaceutical product for depression. Our objective was to explore the effectiveness and safety of Shuganjieyu capsule for the treatment of major depressive disorder in adults. Method: Eight computerized databases were searched. In addition, randomized controlled trials (RCTs) on Shuganjieyu capsule were hand-searched on seven key Chinese journals. Data were extracted and evaluated by two reviewers independently. Analysis was performed by intention-to-treat where possible. Prespecified subgroup analyses were different-dose regimens, patient spectrum, publication status, and treatment duration. Results: Seven RCTs with 595 participants were included. Shuganjieyu capsule was superior than placebo in terms of response rate (RR = 2.42, 95% CI: 1.55-3.79; P = 0.0001), remission rate (RR = 4.29, 95% CI: 1.61-11.45; P = 0.004), the scores of the mean change from baseline of the HAM-D17 (MD = -4.17, 95% CI: -5.61 to -2.73; P < 0.00001) and from baseline of traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) syndrome score scale scores (MD = -6.00, 95% CI: -8.25 to -3.75; P < 0.00001). In addition, Shuganjieyu plus venlafaxine had a significantly higher response rate (RR = 1.56, 95% CI: 1.29-1.88; P < 0.00001) and was superior in terms of the scores of the mean change from baseline of the treatment emergent symptoms scale scores (MD = -0.74, 95% CI:-1.12 to -0.35; P = 0.0002) than venlafaxine alone. Conclusion: Shuganjieyu capsule is superior to placebo in terms of overall treatment effectiveness and safety. Both response rate and remission rate among patients treated with the combination of Shuganjieyu plus venlafaxine were significantly higher than those treated with venlafaxine alone. Due to the considerable risk of bias in majority of trials, recommendations for practice should be cautious, and additional, well-designed RCTs are needed in next step.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: To explore external validity of randomized controlled trials (RCTs) of hypertension within China from the view of sample representation. Comprehensive literature searches were performed in Medline, Embase, Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials (CCTR) et al and advanced search strategies were used to locate hypertension RCTs as well as observational studies conducted in China during 1996 to 2009 synchronously. The risk of bias in RCTs and observational studies was assessed by two modified scales respectively, and then both types of studies with 3 or more grading scores were included for the purpose of evaluating of external validity. Following that the study characteristics relative to sample representation were extracted from RCTs and observational studies synchronously, and the later were taken as external references for validating sample representation of RCTs. 226 hypertension RCTs and 21 observational studies were included for final analysis. Comparing samples with observational studies, the mean age of samples within RCTs was 54.46 years, significantly lower than that of observational studies (66.35 years) (P=0.002). The average disease course in patients of RCTs was 3.89 years and grade III hypertensive patients accounted for 17%; both were lower than that of the observational studies (12.96 years, P<0.001; 34%, P=0.026 respectively). In addition, the proportions of patients with complications due to heart failure, stroke, diabetes, or coronary heart disease in RCTs were 8%, 5%, 12% and 11% correspondingly, all of which were significantly less than that of observational studies (11%, 18%, 17% and 29%). Sample characteristics within hypertension RCTs were significantly different from those in observational studies. The samples in most RCTs were under-represented. It's feasible to take samples of observational studies as a mirror of the actual composition of hypertension patients in the real world, if the reporting of observational studies is abundant and available.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: La prevalencia de depresión en pacientes con síndrome de ovario poliquístico (SOPQ) es alta; un estudio ha revelado que supera en cuatro veces la de las pacientes sin SOPQ. Por lo tanto, es importante la evaluación sistemática de la efectividad y la seguridad de los antidepresivos para las pacientes con SOPQ.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: Thymic carcinoma or advanced thymoma is a rare cancer of the thymus gland that tends to be aggressive and infiltrate neighbouring organs, making total resection very difficult. Induction or adjuvant chemotherapy, or both, are often used in a multimodality approach to treat people affected by this condition, but the effectiveness of chemotherapy for thymic carcinoma or advanced thymoma remains uncertain. To assess the role of chemotherapy in adults with thymic carcinoma or advanced thymoma. We searched the Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials (CENTRAL 2012, Issue 7), MEDLINE (accessed via Ovid from 1966 to July 2012), EMBASE (accessed via Ovid, from 1980 to July 2012), Latin American and Caribbean Literature on Health Sciences (LILACS), the Chinese Biological Medicine Database (CBM, 1978 to July 2012), China National Knowledge Infrastructure (CNKI, 1980 to July 2012) and the Chinese scientific periodical database VIP Information (VIP, 1989 to July 2012). There was no language restriction in searching for studies. We planned to include randomised controlled trials (RCTs) of trials using chemotherapy (either single-agent or combination chemotherapy plus surgery, radiotherapy or not) for thymic carcinoma and/or advanced thymoma. We planned to include all adults (aged 18 years and over) diagnosed with thymic carcinoma and/or with Masaoka stage III or IV thymic tumours. The intended primary outcomes were overall survival (OS) and progression-free survival (PFS). Two review authors independently evaluated the search results according to the inclusion and exclusion criteria. There were no studies identified for inclusion and therefore no data extraction was completed. No RCTs were eligible for inclusion in this review. We report details of excluded prospective studies in an additional table and try to provide some useful evidence regarding current practice. There were no RCTs eligible for inclusion in this review. In current practice the most common regimen for adult patients with thymic carcinoma or advanced thymoma is cisplatin-based chemotherapy. Considering the condition is rare, it is suggested that an international group is set up to organise and evaluate prospective collection of data from cohorts of patients to inform current clinical practice.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: BACKGROUND: The prevalence of depression in women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is high; one study has shown it to be four times that of women without PCOS. Therefore, systematic evaluation of the effectiveness and safety of antidepressants for women with PCOS is important. OBJECTIVES: To evaluate the effectiveness and safety of antidepressants in treating depression and other symptoms in women with PCOS. SEARCH METHODS: We searched the following databases from inception to June 2012: the Cochrane Menstrual Disorders and Subfertility Group Trials Register, the Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials, MEDLINE, EMBASE, PsycINFO and Chinese National Knowledge Infrastructure, the metaRegister of Controlled Trials (controlled-trials.com), the National Institute of Health Clinical Trials register (clinicaltrials.gov) and the World Health Organization International Trials Registry Platform search portal (www.who.int/trialsearch/Default.aspx). SELECTION CRITERIA: Only randomised controlled trials (RCTs) studying the effectiveness and safety of antidepressants for women with PCOS were included in this review. DATA COLLECTION AND ANALYSIS: The methodological quality of the trials was assessed independently by two review authors, in parallel with data extraction. The risk of bias in the included study was assessed in six domains: 1. sequence generation; 2. allocation concealment; 3. blinding of participants, personnel and outcome assessors; 4. completeness of outcome data; 5. selective outcome reporting; 6. other potential sources of bias. MAIN RESULTS: We found no studies reporting any of our primary review outcomes (depression and allied mood disorder scores, quality of life and adverse events). Only one study with 16 women was eligible for inclusion. This study compared sibutramine versus fluoxetine in women with PCOS, and reported only endocrine and metabolic outcomes. It was unclear whether the participants had psychological problems at baseline. No significant difference was found between the groups for any of the measured outcomes. AUTHORS' CONCLUSIONS: There is no evidence on the effectiveness and safety of antidepressants in treating depression and other symptoms in women with PCOS.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: This paper is aimed to analyze the correlation between serum free testosterone (FT) and total testosterone (TT) to acquire a cutoff about using total testosterone to diagnose hyperandrogenism in Chengdu females. We investigated 1854 women by cluster sampling method, detected their serum FT levels and TT levels, scored relative items, analyzed the correlation and made the ROC curve to get a cutoff of TT levels. Serum FT had a linear correlation with serum TT (r = 0.597, r2 = 0.356, P < 0.001). The cutoff value was 0.635 ng/mL. The specificity and sensitivity were 76.3% and 77.24%, respectively. No correlation found between serum FT and Ferriman-Gallway Score (P = 0.392). Positive correlations were seen between serum FT and Plewig-Kligman Score (r = 0.137, P < 0.001), serum TT and Ferriman-Gallway Score (r = 0.069, P = 0.003) and serum TT and Plewig-Kligman Score (r = 0.092, P < 0.001). There is a linear correlation between serum FT and TT. We can diagnose hyperandrogenism according to the serum TT cutoff value (0.635 ng/mL). Its clinical symptoms are not paralleled with the biochemical test results.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: Objective. The aim of this study is to measure the reliability and external validity of AMSTAR by applying it to a sample of TCM systematic reviews. Study Design and Methods. We tested the agreement, reliability, construct validity, and feasibility of AMSTAR through comparisons with OQAQ. Statistical analyses were performed by using SPSS 13.0. Results. A random of sample with 41 TCM systematic reviews was selected from a database. The interrater agreement of the individual items of AMSTAR was moderate with a mean kappa of 0.50 (95% CI: 0.26, 0.73). The ICC for AMSTAR against OQAQ (total score of 9 items, excluding item 10) was 0.87 (95% CI: 0.76, 0.93). Conclusions. Although there is room for improvement on few items, the new tool is reliable, valid, and easy to use for methodological quality assessment of systematic reviews on TCM.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: Traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) is one of the rarely existing ancient traditional medicines that hold systematic theories as well as preventative and therapeutic methods for diseases in practice. From the 1950s, such research methods as mathematics, statistics, and data mining (DM) have been gradually introduced to TCM studies, making it more scientific. Meanwhile, the distinct features of TCM theories and diagnostic-model have constantly challenged the methodology of statistics. This paper introduces the following scientific features of traditional Chinese therapeutics: 1) its goal is to balance the functions and conditions of human body; 2) it emphasizes on holism and individualization; 3) it stresses the longitudinal regulation and evaluation mode, which is a circle of syndrome diagnosis, treatment and evaluation; 4) the interventions of TCM are abundant, compound and natural; and 5) humanistic thought is everywhere. Some statistical problems are raised based on these features. First, complex statistical methods that can analyze subjective indexes and latent variables, multidimensional and multistage data, non-equilibrium designed studies, and longitudinal data are required. Second, comprehensive evaluation on multiple-target mechanism has been brought in by combination treatment. Third, there is a need to analyze how humanity and related cultural factors may influence the effect of interventions. Thus, promoting implemented studies of statistics as well as carrying out the TCM scientific propositions have become the common expectations of both TCM and modern medicine.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: Early childhood caries (ECC) is the presence of caries in primary teeth in children 71 months of age or younger. Despite a decreasing prevalence of caries in China, ECC and related risk factors in China have not been well studied. This study aimed to investigate the status of ECC in children living in Xiamen city in China and to analyse the associated social and behaviour determinants. A stratified random sample consisted of 1523 children with normal birth records. Clinical examination was performed to record caries at the surface level. Parents filled in questionnaires regarding eating habits, family status, childcare provider, and oral intervention. Prevalence of ECC in studied child population was 56.8-78.31%, with an increasing tendency with age. The following factors were found to be significantly associated with ECC: age, candy, carbonated drink, bedtime eating, late start of brushing, low education of parents, private childcare, increased number of siblings, rural residence, and lack of oral health knowledge. Using a stepwise forward logistic regression analysis, a prediction model was established. Early childhood caries in children living in Xiamen city was strongly associated with eating habits, family- and childcare-related factors and tooth-brushing. The ECC-high-risk group is children in rural private childcare facilities.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: To examine the clinical characteristics, treatment, and survival of adult patients with renal sarcoma treated at our institution during the past 2 decades. A retrospective review of the demographic, presentation, treatment, and outcome data for 41 adult patients with renal sarcoma treated at our institution from January 1989 to December 2009 was performed. The clinicopathologic parameters were analyzed to determine their effect on survival. Of the 41 patients, 18 were women and 23 were men. Their median age was 42 years (range 19-76). The median tumor size was 13 cm (range 4-35); 29 cases (70.7%) were high grade. The predominant histologic subtype was leiomyosarcoma (39.0%). At diagnosis, 6 patients (14.6%) had metastatic disease. Surgical resection was performed in 34 patients (82.9%), with negative margins in 22 (53.7%). After a median follow-up of 24 months (range 3-80), 3 patients (8.1%) had survived disease free, 11 (29.7%) were alive with disease, and 23 (62.2%) had died of disease. The overall 1-, 3-, and 5-year survival rate was 86.3%, 40.7%, and 14.5%, respectively, and the median survival was 28 months. The median survival after recurrence was 10 months (range 4-24) and that after metastasis 8 months (range 0-22). On univariate analyses, nonmetastatic disease (P = .001) and surgical resection (P = .000) were predictive of a favorable outcome. On multivariate analyses, surgical resection was the only independent predictor of survival (hazard ratio 35.629, P = .022). Adult renal sarcoma accounts for 0.8% of renal cancer cases and has a poor prognosis. Early diagnosis and surgical resection offer patients the best chance of survival.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: To explore the life style and diet of pregnant women related to gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) in order to provide scientific evidences for the prevention of GDM. A total of 450 subjects were recruited in a 1:2 matched case-control study including 150 pregnant women diagnosed as GDM and 300 normal pregnant women. All subjects participated in a questionnaire survey on socio-demographic characteristics, pregnancy relevant status, dietary structure and lifestyle. Conditional logistic regression analysis and t-test were used for the evaluation of relevant factors. There was a statistic significance of the difference between the two groups on total calorie, carbohydrate, fat and protein intakes per day (P < or = 0.01). Twenty-three factors based on univariate analysis were associated with the occurrence of GDM. Seven factors were entered into the last logistic multivariate regression model. High blood pressure (OR = 28.50), adverse pregnant history (OR = 3.10), obesity before pregnancy (OR = 2.80), too much consumption of fruits (OR = 2.40), family history of DM (OR = 1.86) and favorite of sweets (OR = 1.68) were risk factors for GDM, while the consumption of more white meat was a protective factor (OR = 0.62). The occurrence of GDM was influenced by some adverse lifestyles, unreasonable dietary structure and other factors, such as hypertension, over weight before gestation and family history of DM. Measures should be taken to avoid and eliminate these risk factors.
Hua-yang, Sichuan, China
- Department of Epidemiology