- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: We report on a widely tunable passively Q-switched photonic crystal fiber (PCF) laser with wavelength tuning range up to 80 nm. The PCF laser utilizes an AlGaInAs quantum well/barrier structure as a saturable absorber and incorporates an external-cavity optical parametric oscillator (OPO) to achieve wavelength conversion. Under a pump power of 13.1 W at 976 nm, the PCF laser generated 1029-nm radiation with maximum output energy of 750 μJ and was incident into an external-cavity OPO. The output energy and peak power of signal wave was found to be 138 μJ and 19 kW, respectively. By tuning the temperature of nonlinear crystal, periodically poled lithium niobate (PPLN), in the OPO, the signal wavelength in eye-safe regime from 1513 to 1593 nm was obtained. (© 2011 by Astro Ltd., Published exclusively by WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA) (© 2011 by Astro Ltd., Published exclusively by WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA)
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: The large third-order nonlinearity of GdVO4 crystals is employed to realize the compact efficient continuous-wave self-mode locking in the range of several GHz in a Nd:GdVO4 laser with a simple linear cavity without the need of any additional components. With a pump power of 2.5 W, the compact laser cavity produces average output powers greater than 0.7 W with a pulse width as short as 23ps in the range of 2–6 GHz.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: An efficient Q-switched dual-wavelength laser with self-frequency Raman conversion in composite Nd:YVO(4) and intracavity sum-frequency generation in BBO is reported. With an input pump power of 17.5 W, average power of 0.53 W at the first-Stokes 1176 nm and average power of 1.67 W at the sum-frequency mixed 559 nm are simultaneously generated at a pulse repetition rate of 100 kHz, corresponding to a total conversion efficiency of 12.5%.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: We have demonstrated an efficient high-peak-power AlGaInAs eye-safe wavelength disk laser at 1555 nm. The quantum defect and the thermal load are significantly reduced by pumping the quantum well directly. The overall conversion efficiency is enhanced over three times compared with the barrier pumping method. With a pump peak power of 3.7 kW, an output peak power of 0.52 kW is generated at a pulse repetition rate of 20 kHz.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: We report on an efficient Q-switched eye-safe laser at 1525 nm with a double-end diffusion-bonded Nd:YVO4 crystal as a self-Raman gain medium. A diffusion-bonded crystal not only reduces the thermal effects but also increase the interaction length for the stimulated Raman scattering. With an input pump power of 17.2 W, average power of 2.23 W at the first-Stokes wavelength of 1525 nm is generated at a pulse repetition rate of 40 kHz, corresponding to a conversion efficiency of 13%. (C) 2009 Optical Society of America
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: We theoretically verify that the threshold of an intracavity optical parametric oscillator pumped by a passively Q-switched laser is entirely controlled by the bleach of the saturable absorber not by the signal output reflectivity. We use a series of different output couplers to optimize the output performance. With a signal output reflectivity of 15%, we experimentally achieve an efficient subnanosecond eye-safe laser with 3.3 mJ pulse energy and 1.5 MW peak power. @ 2008 Optical Society of America
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: An AlGaInAs quantum-well structure grown on a Fe-doped InP transparent substrate is developed to be a gain medium in a high-peak-power nanosecond laser at 1570nm. Using an actively Q-witched 1064nm laser to pump the gain chip, an average output power of 135mW is generated at a pulse repetition rate of 30kHz and an average pump power of 1.25W. At a pulse repetition rate of 20kHz, the peak output power is up to 290W at a peak pump power of 2.3kW.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: We report the use of AlGaInAs quantum wells (QWs) as a saturable absorber in the Q-switching of a high-power diode-pumped Nd-doped 1064nm laser. The barrier layers are designed to locate the QW groups in the region of the nodes of the lasing standing wave for avoiding damage. With an incident pump power of 22 W at 878nm, an average output power of 6.8 W with a Q-switched pulse width of 0.85 ns at a pulse repetition rate of 105kHz was obtained.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: A high-performance AlGaInAs quantum-well saturable absorber is developed for passively Q-switched Er-Yb double-clad fiber lasers at 1560 nm. With an incident pump power of 13.5 W, an average output power of 1.26 W with a pulse repetition rate of 12 kHz is obtained. The maximum peak power is greater than 500 W.