Han Ul Song

CHA University, Seoul, Seoul, South Korea

Are you Han Ul Song?

Claim your profile

Publications (3)1.29 Total impact

  • Source
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Hepatitis A virus (HAV) has been a leading cause of acute hepatitis in Korea. The reported genotypes of acute hepatitis A in Korea are the subgenotype IA and IB. The aim of the present study is to investigate HAV genotypes in the south-east area of Gyeonggi-do in Korea. From June 2004 to June 2006, 46 acute hepatitis A patients were enrolled prospectively. All had sporadic acute hepatitis A patients. All suspected cases of acute hepatitis A were tested for IgM anti-HAV antibodies. We sequenced 168 bp of nucleotides of the putative VP1/P2A junction and determined the HAV genotype with reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction. The clinical and laboratory results of all patients were recorded. HAV-ribonucleic acid (RNA) was detected in 41 samples out of 46 samples. Among the 41 samples, 25 (60%) were shown to have subgenotype IIIA and the other 16 (40%) were subgenotype IA. Several amino acid substitutions were found. In these HAV sporadic cases, IIIA and IA were identified, and this may reflect co-circulation of various genotypes in Korea. This study provides valuable new data on the genetic distribution of HAV and important information to help design appropriate public health measures.
    Full-text · Article · Sep 2009 · Yonsei medical journal
  • Han Ul Song · Seong Gyu Hwang
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) is one of the most common malignant tumors and has the third highest mortality rate among malignancies in South Korea. Despite the continuing efforts for the early detection of HCC, the mortality rate and prognosis have not been improved yet. Its clinical behavior is quite different from other cancers. High recurrence rate after curative treatment might be the reason for poor prognosis. Several methods including chemoprevention, blocking the development of HCC, have been under investigations. The vaccine for hepatitis, in the form of primary prevention, is considered to be the most effective one inhibiting the development of liver disease. Furthermore, keeping away from hepatotoxic agents is another way for preventing liver cell injuries. Secondary prevention is to stop the development of HCC in chronic liver diseases. Since the level of DNA in hepatitis B virus (HBV) hepatitis patients is closely related with the development of HCC, it is helpful to lower the DNA level using anti-viral agents. In addition, IFN, one of the anti-viral agents, can inhibit HCV hepatitis from tumorigenesis. Cyclo-oxygenase (COX)-2 inhibitors are also alleged to have a function in interrupting the development of HCC. Tertiary prevention means the prevention of recurrence of HCC after successful treatment. Because of high recurrence rate, the prevention of recurrence should be one of the important factors affecting the prognosis of HCC. Up to now, COX inhibitors, retinoic acids, vitamin K2, glycyrrhizin epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG), and ginseng had been reported to be effective for the chemoprevention of HCC. Further studies are required for an advancement in the prevention of HCC.
    No preview · Article · May 2007 · The Korean journal of gastroenterology = Taehan Sohwagi Hakhoe chi
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: The failure rates of first and second line therapies of Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) eradication range from 15 to 20%. This study was aimed to evaluate the efficacy and safety of levofloxacin based triple therapy compared with standard triple or quadruple therapy for H. pylori eradication in Korea. We enrolled two hundred and sixty seven patients with presence of H. pylori infection. One hundred and forty-one patients were treated with levofloxacin based triple therapy (LAP; levofloxacin, amoxicillin, proton pump inhibitor; PPI), and 126 patients were treated with standard triple therapy (CAP; clarithromycin, amoxicillin, PPI). We retreated the patients who had failed in H. pylori eradication with standard quadruple second-line therapy (MTPB; metronidazole, tetracycline, PPI, bismuth subcitrate) or levofloxacin based therapy (LAP or LCP; levofloxacin, clarithromycin, PPI). In first line therapy of H. pylori eradication, the eradication rates of levofloxacin based triple therapy and standard triple therapy were 69.8% and 74.0% respectively (p=0.52). In second-line therapy, the eradication rate of levofloxacin based triple therapy and standard quadruple therapy were 62.5% and 40.0% respectively (p=0.34). Levofloxacin based triple therapy is effective as standard regimen to eradicate H. pylori infection and is useful for an alternative rescue therapy as well.
    No preview · Article · Aug 2006 · The Korean journal of gastroenterology = Taehan Sohwagi Hakhoe chi