Publications (31)15.39 Total impact
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: Cardiopulmonary bypass (CPB) is often associated with renal dysfunction, as measured by plasma creatinine levels and hemodialysis rates. Aim. To compare creatinine clearance (CrCl), estimated with the Cockroft and Gault formula, between patients undergoing off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting (OPCAB) versus on-pump CABG (on-CAB). Material and methods. Between April 2008 and April 2009, 119 patients underwent coronary bypass graft surgery. Fifty-eight (58) of these patients underwent OPCAB while 61 had on-CAB. Creatinine clearance, plasma creatinine levels, and clinical outcome were compared between the groups. A creatinine clearance value of 50 mL/minute was accepted as the lowest limit of normal renal function. Results. There were two hospital deaths caused by sepses after pulmonary infection. Creatinine clearance (Preoperative OPCAB 73,64±33,72 x on-CAB 75,70±34,30mL/min; discharge OPCAB 75,73±35,07 × on-CAB 79,07±34,71 mL/ min; p=0,609), and creatinine levels (Preoperative OPCAB 1,04±0,38 × on-CAB 1,13±0,53 mg/dL; discharge OPCAB 1,12±0,79 × on-CAB 1,04±0,29mg/dL; p=0,407) did not show statistically inter-group differences. Conclusion. Deterioration in renal function is associated with higher rates of postoperative complications. No significant difference in CrCl could be demonstrated between the groups.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: Background The aim of this study was evaluate the late-onset repercussions of heart alterations of patients with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) after a 13-year follow up. Methods A historical prospective study was carried out involving the analysis of data from the charts of patients with a confirmed diagnosis of lupus in follow up since 1998. The 13-year evolution was systematically reviewed and tabulated to facilitate the interpretation of the data. Results Forty-eight patient charts were analyzed. Mean patient age was 34.5 ± 10.8 years at the time of diagnosis and 41.0 ± 10.3 years at the time of the study (45 women and 3 men). Eight deaths occurred in the follow-up period (two due to heart problems). Among the alterations found on the complementary exams, 46.2% of cases demonstrated worsening at reevaluation and four patients required a heart catheterization. In these cases, coronary angioplasty was performed due to the severity of the obstructions and one case required a further catheterization, culminating in the need for surgical myocardial revascularization. Conclusion The analysis demonstrated progressive heart impairment, with high rates of alterations on conventional complementary exams, including the need for angioplasty or revascularization surgery in four patients. These findings indicate the need for rigorous cardiac follow up in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: We assessed the effect of the topical application of epsilon-aminocaproic antifibrinolytic acid (EACA) on the pericardium of patients submitted to coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) without the use of cardiopulmonary bypass (CPB). This is a prospective, randomized, and double-blind study. We evaluated 26 patients with chronic coronary heart disease indicated for CABG without CPB (EACA and placebo groups). The analysis of the postoperative hematological results showed no difference between groups in hemoglobin and hematocrit. There was no difference between the groups regarding the postoperative bleeding through the drains in the first 24 hours, 48 hours, and accumulated loss until removal of drains. The use of EACA in patients undergoing CABG without CPB presented no difference in the reduction of the amount of bleeding and the need for blood transfusions.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: Transhiatal Esophagectomy offers the advantage of not requiring thoracotomy or thoracoscopy. Nevertheless, it has the disadvantage of having to be performed, at least in part, with blind, blunt dissection, with high frequency of pleural lesions, increased bleeding, among other complications. The association of median diaphragm transection with partial sternotomy allows the isolation of the esophagus completely under direct vision. The authors present the technique of transhiatal esophagectomy with partial sternotomy.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: A esofagectomia trans-hiatal oferece a vantagem de não necessitar da toracotomia ou toracoscopia. Apresenta a desvantagem de ter que ser realizada, pelo menos em parte, com dissecação romba, às cegas, ocorrendo com frequência lesão pleural, maior sangramento, entre outras complicações. A associação da transecção mediana do diafragma com a esternotomia parcial permite o isolamento do esôfago totalmente sob visão direta. Os autores apresentam a técnica da esofagectomia trans-hiatal com esternotomia parcial.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: In this study we evaluated the performance of bovine pericardium preserved in glutaraldehyde used as a vascular patch. Fourteen young pigs, six females and eight males, weighting 10.3 - 18.4 kg were used in our study. We implanted three remnants in each pig, two in the abdominal aorta and one was juxtaposed to the peritoneum. The smooth face (SF) and rough face (RF) of each remnant were implanted turned to the vessel inner portion and one remnant was juxtaposed to the peritoneum. The animals were sacrificed in 4.5 - 8 months after surgery (75 - 109 kg). The remnants were assessed for aorta wall, fibroses formation in inner apposition and calcification related to the face turned to the vessel inner portion. The rough face showed a lower dilatation level compared to the face implanted in adjacent aorta. There was no difference between intensity and/or incidence of graft calcification when the superficies were compared. The bovine pericardium preserved in glutaraldehyde did not show alterations in its structure when implanted with different faces turned to the inner portion of vessel. When turned to the inner portion of the vessel, the rough face of the remnant presented a lower dilatation in relation to the adjacent aorta and a better quality of endothelium layer and did not show a difference between intensity and/or incidence of graft calcification.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: Atrial fibrillation (AF) is the most commonly sustained cardiac rhythm disturbance. Surgical ablation techniques were developed involving the left atrium only and modifications of the maze procedure in ablating both atria. The aim of this study was to compare, in patients with permanent AF, the efficacy of uniatrial versus biatrial radiofrequency ablation procedure in the treatment of chronic atrial fibrillation in patients with associated cardiac disease. Between September 2003 and May 2009, 30 patients were submitted to the radiofrequency ablation procedure for AF associated with concomitant cardiac surgery; 15 patients underwent a uniatrial procedure, and 15 patients underwent biatrial ablation. The mean age was 47.73 ± 9.85 years, and 53.4% were men. The average followup time was 12.16 ± 10.89 months for the uniatrial group and 7.0 ± 4.0 months for the biatrial group. Neither hospital mortality nor complications related to radiofrequency ablation were was registered. At the time of hospital discharge, 9 patients (60%) were in a state of sinus rhythm in both groups. However, patients undergoing biatrial ablation (range 73.3% versus 46.7%) demonstrated complete freedom from atrial fibrillation at all times. Biatrial ablation surgical procedures were more effective in controlling atrial fibrillation than procedures limited to the left atrium.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: The classical view of adipose tissue as a passive reservoir for energy storage is no longer valid. In the past decade, adipose tissue has been shown to have endocrine functions and the most abundant peptide secreted by adipocytes is adiponectin. Pericardial adipose tissue (PAT) is distributed around coronary arteries and endovascular injury, caused by the presence of intracoronary bare-metal stent (BMS), could promote inflammatory changes in the periadvential fat, contributing to vascular restenosis. We sought to determine gene expression of inflammatory mediator in pericardial adipose tissue after bare-metal stent implantation and vascular restenosis that had been referred to operative treatment. Paired samples of PAT were harvested at the time of elective coronary artery bypass surgery (CABG) in 11 patients (n = 22), one sample was obtained of the tissue around BMS area and another sample around coronary artery without stent. Local expression of adiponectin was determined by real-time polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) using Taq DNA polymerase. In two samples, there was no gene expression of adiponectin. We are able to identify adiponectin in 20 samples, however, the pattern of gene expression were heterogeneous.We did not notice specificity when we compared PAT obtained near BMS area or far from BMS area. There were no correlation between adiponectin gene expression and presence of BMS.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: The analysis of hemodialysis services is relevant for the quality of life of patient. In this study we investigated the profile of vascular access used for hemodialysis patients in our Unit. We evaluated 219 patients of both genders aged over 18 years old who have undergone implant or manufacture of vascular hemodialysis access. We excluded patients on renal replacement therapy by peritoneal dialysis. Associated diseases were hypertension and diabetes mellitus. 161 had arteriovenous fistula, with 153 held by the same dialysis and nine of them were still maturing. 27 patients on dialysis used central venous catheter. 148 were indigenous and five were made using polytetrafluoroethylene prosthesis (PTFE). Among the 27 patients with central venous catheters, ten used short-term catheter and 17 used long-term catheter. The most frequent type of fistula use was on the radio distal cephalic, in 85 patients (52.5%), followed by radio cephalic proximal in 26 patients (16%). The number of fistulas in dialysis patients conducted by this kind of therapy ranged from one to ten and in 64 patients (41.83%) fistula was the first and only to be made. Among the fistula for dialysis patients, the highest prevalence was radio cephalic fistula in 111 patients (72.5%) and mean duration of use was 48.1 months, ranging from two months to 17 years. Our Unit of hemodialysis is above the limits established by international norms.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: Background: The evaluation of dialysis services is important for its adequacy and improvement in patient's quality of life. We evaluated the profile of vascular access used for hemodialysis patients in our Unit. Methods: We evaluated 164 patients of both genders aged over 18 years old who have undergone implant or manufacture of vascular hemodialysis access. We excluded patients on renal replacement therapy by peritoneal dialysis. Results: 155 patients had arteriovenous fistula, 149 were performed by the same dialysis and six were still maturing. 15 patients were using central venous catheter. Among the patients under hemodialysis for arteriovenous fistula, 143 were native and six were prepared using polytetrafluoroethylene prosthesis. Among the 15 patients with central venous catheters, ten used short-term catheter and five used long-term catheter. The average time of using was seven days. Patients on dialysis for long-term catheter and without maturing fistula had a mean time of 4.4 months of use and had exhausted their chances of making fistulas. The most frequent type of fistula was the distal radio cephalic in 82 patients, followed by proximal radio cephalic in 24 patients. Among the fistula for dialysis patients, the highest prevalence was radio cephalic fistula in 106 patients. Among the most frequent complications observed in fistulas, the pseudoaneurysm after puncture and venous hypertension were the most common. Conclusion: Our Unit of hemodialysis is above the limits established by international norms.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: An upper limb arteriovenous (AV) fistula is the access of choice for haemodialysis (HD). There have been few reports of saphenofemoral AV fistulas (SFAVF) over the last 10-20 years because of previous suggestions of poor patencies and needling difficulties. Here, we describe our clinical experience with SFAVF. SFAVFs were evaluated using the following variables: immediate results, early and late complications, intraoperative and postoperative complications (up to day 30), efficiency of the fistula after the onset of needling and complications associated to its use. Fifty-six SFAVF fistulas were created in 48 patients. Eight patients had two fistulas: 8 patent (16%), 10 transplanted (20%), 12 deaths (24%), 1 low flow (2%) and 20 thrombosis (39%) (first two months of preparation). One patient had severe hypotension during surgery, which caused thrombosis of the fistula, which was successfully thrombectomised, four thrombosed fistulae were successfully thrombectomised and revised on the first postoperative day. After 59 months of follow-up, primary patency was 44%. SFAVF is an adequate alternative for patients without the possibility for other access in the upper limbs, allowing efficient dialysis with good long-term patency with a low complication rate.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: To evaluate the results of intraoperative radiofrequency ablation with biatrial procedure in the treatment of chronic atrial fibrillation in patients with associated cardiac disease. Between February 2008 and May 2009, 15 consecutive patients were underwent mitral valve procedure plus modified radiofrequency biatrial ablation of chronic atrial fibrillation. The mean age was 47.73 +/- 9.85 years and 60% were male. The mean left atrial diameter was 55.06 +/- 7.56 mm. There were no hospital mortality or complications related to radiofrequency ablation. The mean follow-up period was 7 +/- 4 months. At the time of hospital discharge nine (60%) patients were in sinus rhythm. After a mean follow-up period 11 (73.3%) were in sinus rhythm. Intraoperative biatrial radiofrequency ablation is a safe and effective technique for the treatment of chronic atrial fibrillation, with satisfactory midterms outcomes in terms of conversion to sinus rhythm.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: One case of transdiafragmatic intercostal hernia after intense coughing fit followed by rib fractures in patient with history of pneumonia is presented. He had a severe coughing fit, developed a right toracoabdominal hematoma and then a tumor that was gradually enlarging. Image exams confirmed the diagnosis. Treatment consisted of surgical repair with the use of a polypropylene prosthetic mesh. It is a rare type of hernia. Only four cases were found in literature. The sooner the disease is diagnosed and treated the better the prognoses will be since it will prevent hernia from strangulation and incarceration.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: The literature did not evidence yet with which age spontaneously hypertensive rats (SHR) start to present baroreflex reduction. We endeavored to evaluate the baroreflex function in eight-week-old SHR. Male Wistar Kyoto (WKY) normotensive rats and SHR aged eight weeks were studied. Baroreflex was calculated as the variation of heart rate (HR) divided by the mean arterial pressure (MAP) variation (DeltaHR/DeltaMAP) tested with a depressor dose of sodium nitroprusside (SNP, 50 microg/kg) and with a pressor dose of phenylephrine (PHE, 8 microg/kg) in the right femoral venous approach through an inserted cannula in the animals. Significant differences for p < 0.05. Baseline MAP (p < 0.0001) and HR (p = 0.0028) was higher in SHR. Bradycardic peak was attenuated in SHR (p < 0.0001), baroreflex gain tested with PHE was also reduced in the SHR group (p = 0.0012). PHE-induced increase in MAP was increased in WKY compared to SHR (p = 0.039). Bradycardic reflex responses to intravenous PHE was decreased in SHR (p < 0.0001). Eight weeks old SHR already presents impairment of the parasympathetic component of baroreflex.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: The following report describes the experience of the Cardiovascular Surgery Team of the ABC Medical School with coronary-coronary bypass grafting. Four patients undergone off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting, with coronary-coronary bypass of the right coronary artery, by using great saphenous vein graft. The follow-up period was 3 to 5 years without any intra- or postoperative recurrence. One patient presented anginal symptoms four years after the surgery and underwent cinecoronariography that revealed patent anastomosis. The coronary-coronary bypass is a good option for patients undergone coronary artery bypass grafting.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: Antifibrinolytic agents reduce bleeding after cardiac surgery, but there are adverse effects after their systemic use. These effects are avoided by topical application of antifibrinolytic agents in pericardial cavity. We compared the effects of topically applied epsilon-aminocaproic acid (EACA) and placebo on postoperative bleeding and transfusion requirements after coronary artery bypass surgery. In this single center prospective, randomized, double-blind trial, 53 patients were randomized into two groups to receive EACA (24 g in 250 ml of saline solution) or placebo (250 ml of saline solution) before sternal closure. Groups were comparable with respect to all preoperative and intraoperative variables. Postoperative bleeding, transfusion requirements and hematologic parameters were evaluated. Postoperative bleeding within first 24 hours (h) period (EACA group 154.66+/-74.64 x Placebo group 220.21+/-136.42 ml; P=0.031) showed statistically significant inter-group difference, within 48 h (EACA group 259.14+/-420.07 x Placebo group 141.67+/-142.58 ml; P=0.614), as well as cumulative blood loss (EACA group 832.07+/-576.86 x Placebo group 827.50+/-434.12 ml; P=0.975), not showed statistically inter-group differences. Inter-group difference of blood product requirements was statistically significant (EACA group 185.90+/-342.07 x Placebo group 439.42+/-349.07 ml; P=0.016). Laboratory analyses showed no differences between the two groups postoperative (hematologic characteristics: hemoglobin (g/dl)- EACA group 9.18+/-0.92 x Placebo group 8.85+/-1.48 g/dL; P=0.11; hematocrit (%)-EACA group 28.15+/-3.35 x Placebo group 26.67+/-4.15%; P=0.06). Topical use of epsilon aminocaproic acid reduces postoperative bleeding in the first 24 hours and requirements of blood transfusion after coronary artery bypass graft surgery.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: OBJETIVO: Verificar o efeito do uso tópico do ácido epsilon-aminocapróico (AEAC), aplicado na cavidade pericárdica, na redução do sangramento e necessidade de transfusão sanguínea no pós-operatório de revascularização cirúrgica do miocárdio. MÉTODOS: Entre outubro de 2007 e outubro de 2008, 53 pacientes da mesma instituição foram alocados em um estudo prospectivo, randomizado e duplo-cego. Foram selecionados portadores de insuficiência coronariana crônica com indicação para revascularização cirúrgica do miocárdio. Os pacientes foram divididos em dois grupos: grupo AEAC e grupo Placebo, comparados de acordo com as características clínicas, demográficas e variáveis operatórias. Foram avaliados o volume de sangramento pelos drenos, a necessidade de transfusão e os níveis de hemoglobina e hematócrito de pós-operatório. RESULTADOS: O sangramento pós-operatório pelos drenos nas primeiras 24 horas (grupo AEAC 154,66±74,64 x grupo placebo 220,21±136,42 ml; P=0,031) foi menor no grupo AEAC, porém, em 48 horas (grupo AEAC 259,14±420,07 x grupo placebo 141,67±142,58 ml; P=0,197) e a perda acumulada até a retirada dos drenos (grupo AEAC 832,07±576,86 x grupo placebo 827,50±434,12 ml; P=0,975) não apresentou diferença estatística significante. Houve menor necessidade de transfusão no grupo AEAC, com diferença estatística significante (grupo AEAC 185,90±342,07 x grupo placebo 439,42±349,07 ml; P=0,016). Os valores de hemoglobina (grupo AEAC 9,18±0,92 x grupo placebo 8,85±1,48 g/dL; P=0,331) e hematócrito (grupo AEAC 28,15±3,35 x grupo placebo 26,67±4,15%; P=0,162) não mostraram diferença estatística significante na comparação entre os grupos. CONCLUSÕES: O uso tópico do ácido epsilon-aminocapróico apresentou efeito favorável na redução do sangramento nas primeiras 24 horas de pós-operatório e na necessidade de transfusão sanguínea após revascularização cirúrgica do miocárdio. Trabalhos adicionais com maior número de pacientes serão necessários para confirmar estes resultados.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: Objective: The following report describes the experience of the Cardiovascular Surgery Team of the ABC Medical School with coronary-coronary bypass grafting. Methods: Four patients undergone off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting, with coronary-coronary bypass of the right coronary artery, by using great saphenous vein graft. Results: The follow-up period was 3 to 5 years without any intra- or postoperative recurrence. One patient presented anginal symptoms four years after the surgery and underwent cinecoronariography that revealed patent anastomosis. Conclusion: The coronary-coronary bypass is a good option for patients undergone coronary artery bypass grafting.
- [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: To evaluate the effect of ventral cardiac denervation in the incidence of atrial fibrillation after coronary artery bypass surgery. Between September and November, 50 patients without history or previous diagnosis of atrial arrhythmia from the same institution presenting coronary heart disease with indication for coronary artery graft bypass surgery were enrolled in a prospective and randomized study. The exclusion criteria were: patients older than 75 years of age, previous history of atrial arrhythmia and associated heart surgeries. Denervation was performed before cardiopulmonary bypass and it was achieved by removing the adipose tissues around the superior vena cava, aorta and pulmonary artery. The groups were compared regarding demographic, clinical and operative variables. There were no hospital mortalities. The additional time for the denervation was 7.64+/-2.33 minutes, and there were no associated complications. Postoperative atrial fibrillation was present in two (8%) patients of the Control Group and in three (12%) patients who underwent ventral cardiac denervation. The risk of postoperative atrial fibrillation in patients undergoing ventral cardiac denervation was 22% higher than in the Control Group (0.56-2.66,confidence interval); however, this outcome was not statistically significant (p=0.64). Ventral cardiac denervation, despite being a fast and low-risk procedure, does not significantly reduce the incidence of atrial fibrillation after coronary artery bypass graft surgery.
Faculdade de Medicina do ABCSanto André, São Paulo, Brazil