Taqwa Al-Khateeb

Princess Basma Teaching Hospital, Arbēla, Irbid, Jordan

Are you Taqwa Al-Khateeb?

Claim your profile

Publications (1)3.1 Total impact

  • Source
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency is one of the most common genetic enzyme deficiencies leading to haemolytic anaemia. This study aimed to investigate the precipitating factors for haemolytic crisis in G6PD-deficient paediatric patients in Jordan. A retrospective study of data from the records of 258 paediatric patients admitted to a major paediatric hospital in North Jordan from January 2001 until April 2007. Patients included were G6PD-deficient children who were admitted to the hospital secondary to an episode of haemolytic anaemia. Of 258 paediatric patients, 244 (94.2%) had developed a haemolytic episode secondary to ingestion of fava beans. The remaining 14 children (5.8%) developed a haemolytic episode triggered by other factors, such as drugs and upper respiratory infections. Fava bean ingestion is the major precipitating factor for haemolytic anaemia episodes among G6PD-deficient children in Jordan.
    Full-text · Article · Dec 2009 · Journal of Medical Screening