Gender differences for nonfatal unintentional fall-related injuries

ArticleinInjury Prevention 11(2):115-9 · May 2005with29 Reads
DOI: 10.1136/ip.2004.005835 · Source: PubMed
Abstract
To quantify gender differences for non-fatal unintentional fall related injuries among US adults age 65 years and older treated in hospital emergency departments (EDs). The authors analyzed data from a nationally representative sample of ED visits for January 2001 through December 2001, available through the National Electronic Injury Surveillance System All Injury Program (NEISS-AIP). For each initial ED visit, coders record one principal diagnosis (usually the most severe) and one primary part of the body affected. Based on 22,560 cases, an estimated 1.64 million older adults were treated in EDs for unintentional fall injuries. Of these, approximately 1.16 million, or 70.5%, were women. Fractures, contusions/abrasions, and lacerations accounted for more than three quarters of all injuries. Rates for injury diagnoses were generally higher among women, most notably for fractures which were 2.2 times higher than for men. For all parts of the body, women's injury rates exceeded those of men. Rate ratios were greatest for injuries of the leg/foot (2.3), arm/hand (2.0), and lower trunk (2.0). The hospitalization rate for women was 1.8 times that for men. Among older adults, non-fatal fall related injuries disproportionately affected women. Much is known about effective fall prevention strategies. We need to refine, promote, and implement these interventions. Additional research is needed to tailor interventions for different populations and to determine gender differences in the underlying causes and/or circumstances of falls. This information is vital for developing and implementing targeted fall prevention strategies.
    • "Men on the other hand had a higher rate of falls on the same level. Of fall injuries treated in Emergency departments, fractures and injuries among older women are reported to be higher than for older men [44]. "
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: Background The role of sex as an important biological determinant of vulnerability to sustaining injury and gender as a social determinate of access to resources, referral for medical care and perceived disability remains conflicted in injured workers. The purpose of this study was to examine sex and gender disparity following a compensable work-related shoulder injury. Methods This study involved cross-sectional analyses of data of two independent samples of workers with shoulder injury. Measures of disability and pain were the Quick Disabilities of the Arm, Shoulder and Hand (QuickDASH) and Numerical Pain Rating Scale (NPRS) for patients seen at an Early Shoulder Physician Assessment (ESPA) program and the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons (ASES) assessment form and Visual Analogue Scale (VAS) for the sample who underwent surgery. Results The files of 1000 (443 females, 557 men) consecutive patients seen at an ESPA program and 150 (44 females, and 106 men) consecutive patients who underwent rotator cuff surgery (repair or decompression) were reviewed. Significant gender disparity was observed in the referral pattern of injured workers seen at the ESPA program who were referred for surgical consultation (22 vs. 78 % for females and males respectively, p < 0.0001). The independent rotator cuff surgical group had a similar gender discrepancy (29 % vs. 71 %, p < 0.0001). The timeframe from injury to surgery was longer in women in the surgical group (p = 0.01). As well, women waited longer from the date of consent to date of surgery (p = 0.04). Women had higher incidence of repetitive injuries (p = 0.01) with men reporting higher incidence of falls (p = 0.01). Women seen at the ESPA program were more disabled than men (p = 0.02). Women in both samples had a higher rate of medication consumption than men (p = 0.01 to <0.0001). Men seen at the ESPA program had a higher prevalence of full thickness rotator cuff tears (p < 0.0001) and labral pathology (p = 0.01). However, these pathologies did not explain gender disparity in the subsample of ESPA who were referred for surgical consultation or those who had surgery. Conclusions Sex and gender disparity exists in workers with shoulder injuries and is evident in the mechanism of injury, perceived disability, medication consumption, referral pattern, and wait time for surgery.
    Full-text · Article · Dec 2016
    • "The statistical analysis was conducted using SPSS (version 13.0, SPSS Inc., Chicago, Illinois). Because sex is an important confounding factor of osteoporotic fractures, we performed analyses separately in men and women [25]. The following skewed variables were normalized by logarithmic transformation before analyses in which they were treated as continuous variables: TG, eGFR and MET-h/wk. "
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: Background: Associations between metabolic syndrome (MetS) and osteoporotic fracture have been reported. However, the epidemiological studies are not conclusive. The objective of the study was to determine whether metabolic syndrome associates with osteoporotic fracture. Methods: This was a cross-sectional study of 9930 Chinese adults aged 40 year or older in the Chongming District, Shanghai, China. A questionnaire, anthropometric measurements and laboratory tests were conducted. MetS was defined according to the updated National Cholesterol Education Program Adult Treatment Panel III criteria for Asian-Americans. A history of fractures was collected with an interviewer-assisted questionnaire. Osteoporotic fractures were defined as fractures that occurred due to low-trauma in 2 years prior to the study. Results: Among women, the prevalence of osteoporotic fractures was significantly higher in those with MetS (3.5 vs. 2.6 %, P =0.028). However, the difference was not found in men (2.6 vs. 2.4 %, P =0.737). The presence of Mets was significantly associated with increased odds of osteoporotic fracture among women (odds ratio 1.22; 95 % confidence interval 1.12-1.54; P = 0.039) after controlling for potential confounders. The significant associations were not detected in men. Conclusions: The presence of MetS was significantly associated with a recent history of osteoporotic fracture in middle-aged and elderly Chinese women.
    Full-text · Article · Dec 2016
    • "A previous study suggested that 46% of healthy older people were afraid of falling, and 56% of them curtailed daily activities due to their fear [23]. Reduced physical capacity can also increase the risk of falls [19,20]. Thus, with the trend of multiple fall accidents increasing along with their fear of falling, community dwelling Korean people are expected to be at a greater risk of potential falls than previously. "
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: Objective To describe the longitudinal characteristics of unintentional fall accidents using a representative population-based sample of Korean adults. Methods We examined data from the Korean Community Health Survey from 2008 to 2013. Univariate analysis and multivariable logistic regression were used to identify the characteristics of fall accidents in adults. Results Between 2008 and 2013, the incidence rate of fall accidents requiring medical treatment increased from 1,248 to 3,423 per 100,000 people (p<0.001), while the proportion of indoor fall accidents decreased from 38.12% to 23.16% (p<0.001). Females had more annual fall accidents than males (p<0.001). The major reason for fall accidents was slippery floors (33.7% in 2011 and 36.3% in 2013). Between 2008 and 2010, variables associated with higher fall accident risk included specific months (August and September), old age, female gender, current drinker, current smoker, diabetes, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, and depression. A high level of education and living with a partner were negatively associated with fall accident risk. In 2013, people experiencing more than 1 fall accident felt more fear of falling than those having no fall accidents (odds ratio [OR] for 1 fall, 2.12; 95% confidence interval [CI], 2.04–2.12; OR for more than 2 falls, 2.97; 95% CI, 2.83–3.10). Conclusion The occurrence of fall accidents has consistently increased in Korea from 2008 to 2013. Future intervention studies are needed to reduce the increasing incidence rates of fall accidents in community dwelling adults.
    Full-text · Article · Aug 2016
Show more

Recommended publications

Discover more