Hodgkin lymphoma: a curable disease: what comes next?
Diehl V, Klimm B, Re D. Hodgkin lymphoma: a curable disease: what comes next? Eur J Haematol 2005: 75 (Suppl. 66): 6–13. © Blackwell Munksgaard 2005. Bonadonna Lecture at the Sixth International Hodgkin Lymphoma Congress Cologne, 19 September 2004.
Available from: Mário Henrique Magalhães Barros
Available from: Argiris Symeonidis
[Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
ABSTRACT: Pure infradiaphragmatic Hodgkin's lymphoma (HL) is a rare disease. The prognostic impact of a purely infradiaphragmatic localization of this lymphoma is controversial. We aimed to evaluate the baseline clinicopathologic features, prognostic factors and outcome of a large series of consecutive patients with pure infradiaphragmatic HL.
We analyzed 131 patients with clinical stage I/II infradiaphragmatic HL treated with ABVD or equivalent regimens with or without radiotherapy, and compared 54 of them with 444 patients with pure supradiaphragmatic disease, who were treated at the same center.
Older age, clinical stage II (borderline), involvement of > or =3 sites, lymphocyte predominant histology, elevated serum beta2-microglobulin and higher International Prognostic Score were more frequent in patients with infradiaphragmatic disease than in those with supradiaphragmatic disease, while nodular sclerosis was less frequent. The complete remission rate was 100%, 97% and 82% for stages I, IIA and IIB, respectively. Only B-symptoms independently predicted for inferior failure-free survival, while inferior overall survival was independently associated with the involvement of > or =3 sites. At 10 years failure-free survival was 82+/-6% (vs. 85+/-2% for patients with supradiaphragmatic disease, p=0.45), overall survival was 74+/-8% (vs. 91+/-2%, p=0.0006), and disease-specific survival 87+/-5% (vs. 94+/-1%, p=0.04). In multivariate analysis the differences between infradiaphragmatic and supradiaphragmatic disease were obscured by older age and B-symptoms.
Pure infradiaphragmatic HL presents with distinct clinicopathologic characteristics. The previously reported poorer outcome may be explained by the unfavorable profile of the patients rather than the infradiaphragmatic presentation per se. Patients with stage IIB disease should probably be classified as having advanced HL because of the unacceptable rate of primary refractory disease.
Available from: Theofanis Economopoulos
[Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
ABSTRACT: The prognostic factors, treatments and outcomes of 55 young adults (16-23 years old) with Hodgkin lymphoma (HL) treated in the Second Department of Internal Medicine Propaedeutic, Medical Oncology Unit, Athens University, over the past 25 years, are reviewed. Patients were treated with the chemotherapy regimens available at each time period which were MOPP (Group A; 1978-1987), MOPP/ABVD (Group B; 1988-1993) and BEACOPP or ABVD (Group C; 1994-2003). The eligible patients, received radiotherapy (RT) according to treatment consensus. Additionally, the patients were retrospectively divided according to risk factors (abnormal erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR), bulky mediastinal disease, > 3 involved nodes and extranodal involvement) into low [stage I/II; five patients (9%)], intermediate [stage III with adverse prognostic factors; 18 patients (33%)] and high risk categories [stages IIB bulky and III/IV; 32 patients (58%)]. A total of 21 (38%) patients experienced relapse (three intermediate and 19 high risk). The 5-year survival and the 5-year event free survival (EFS) figures were Group A: 65% and 53%, Group B: 80% and 65%, Group C: 100% and 88.5%, respectively, the improvements between Group B and C were statistically significant (p = 0.04 and p = 0.005, respectively) among the three time periods. The overall survival (OS) and EFS differed significantly between intermediate and high risk categories (OS: p = 0.04, EFS: p = 0.005). The sequential use of RT did not influence OS and EFS but there was a trend of improvement with RT in the later periods. Survival of young patients with HL is significantly improving most probably due to improved chemotherapy treatment and understanding of the risk factors. Current controversial issues surrounding this disease, including the role of radiotherapy, positron emission tomography (PET), bone marrow biopsy and stem cell transplantation are discussed.
Data provided are for informational purposes only. Although carefully collected, accuracy cannot be guaranteed. The impact factor represents a rough estimation of the journal's impact factor and does not reflect the actual current impact factor. Publisher conditions are provided by RoMEO. Differing provisions from the publisher's actual policy or licence agreement may be applicable.