704 DeFranco et al.
W. Hansen (Lexington, KY), M. Newman (Baton Rouge,
LA), B. Rosenn (New York, NY), S. Dabak (Pune, India),
L. Parker, (Winston-Salem, NC), J. Stern (Memphis, TN),
L. Bayer-Zwirello (Boston, MA), L. Cousins (San Diego,
CA), A. Kekre (Vellore, India), R. McDufﬁe, (Denver,
CO), J. Schucker (Danville, PA), C. Barrera (Santiago,
Chile), C. Goldberg (Tucson, AZ), A. Jiratko (Zlinska,
Czech Republic), K. Swenson (Austin, TX), A. Evans
(Lubbock, TX), G. Gross (St. Louis, MO), M. Short
(Baltimore, MD), S. Sunderji (Toledo, OH), R. Artal (St.
Louis, MO), M. Binstock (Bedford, OH), J. Hibbard
(Chicago, IL), R Kelly (Odessa, TX), X. Sandovol-Lopez
(San Salvador, El Salvador), L. Smith (Livingston, NJ),
M. Stitley (Morgantown, WV), E. Wang (Chicago, IL),
M. Beall (Torrence, CA), J. Carvajal (Santiago, Chile),
V. Rappaport (Albuquerque, NM), L. Wilkins-Haug
(Boston, MA), B. Sibai (Cincinnati, OH).
1. Hamilton BE, Mini
no AM, Martin JA, Kochanek KD,
Strobino DM, Guyer B. Annual summary of vital statistics:
2005. Pediatrics 2007; 119: 345–360.
2. Steer P. The epidemiology of preterm labour. BJOG 2005; 112:
3. Saigal S, Stoskopf B, Streiner D, Boyle M, Pinelli J, Paneth N,
Goddeeris J. Transition of extremely low-birth-weight infants
from adolescence to young adulthood: comparison with normal
birth-weight controls. JAMA 2006; 295: 667–675.
4. Marlow N, Wolke D, Bracewell MA, Samara M, for the
EPICure Study Group. Neurologic and developmental disability
at six years of age after extremely preterm birth. NEngJMed
2005; 352: 9–19.
5. March of Dimes. United States: infant mortality overview.
6. Mercer BM. Preterm premature rupture of the membranes.
Obstet Gynecol 2003; 101: 178–193.
7. Iams JD, Goldenberg RL, Meis PJ, Mercer BM, Moawad A, Das
A, Thom E, McNellis D, Copper R, Johnson F, Roberts JM, and
the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
Maternal Fetal Medicine Unit Network. The length of the cervix
and the risk of spontaneous premature delivery. NEnglJMed
1996; 334: 567–572.
8. Dodd JM, Flenady V, Cincotta R, Crowther CA. Prenatal
administration of progesterone for preventing preterm birth.
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006; January 25; CD004947–.
9. Keirse MJNC. Progestogen administration in pregnancy may
prevent preterm delivery. BrJObstetGynaecol1990; 97:
10. Yemini M, Borenstein R, Dreazen E, Apelman Z, Mogilner BM,
Kessler I, Lancet M. Prevention of premature labor by
hydroxyprogesterone caproate. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1985;
11. Johnson JWC, Austin KL, Jones GS, Davis GH, King TM.
17α-hydroxyprogesterone caproate in the prevention
of premature labor. NEnglJMed1975; 293: 675–680.
12. Meis PJ, Klebanoff M, Thom E, Dombrowski MP,
Sibai B, Maowad AH, Spong CY, Hauth JC, Miodovnik M,
Varner MW, Leveno KJ, Caritis SN, Iams JD, Wapner RJ, Con-
way D, O’Sullivan MJ, Carpenter M, Mercer B, Ramin SM,
Thorp JM, Peaceman AM, for the National Institute of Child
Health and Human Development Maternal-Fetal Medicine
Units Network. Prevention of recurrent preterm delivery by
17 alpha-hydroxyprogesterone caproate. NEnglJMed2003;
13. da Fonseca EB, Bittar RE, Carvalho MHB, Zugaib M. Prophy-
lactic administration of progesterone by vaginal suppository to
reduce the incidence of spontaneous preterm birth in women at
increased risk: a randomized placebo-controlled double-blind
study. Am J O bstet Gynecol 2003; 188: 419–424.
14. Mackenzie R, Walker M, Armson A, Hannah ME. Proges-
terone for the prevention of preterm birth among women at
increased risk: a systematic review and meta-analysis of ran-
domized controlled trials. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2006; 194:
15. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. ACOG
Committee opinion. Use of progesterone to reduce preterm
birth. Obstet Gynecol 2003; 102: 1115–1116.
16. Iams JD. Supplemental progesterone to prevent preterm birth.
Am J Obstet Gynecol 2003; 188: 303.
17. O’Brien JM, Adair CD, Lewis DF, Hall DR, DeFranco EA,
Fusey S, et al. Progesterone vaginal gel for the reduction of
recurrent preterm birth: primary results from a randomized,
double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Ultrasound Obstet
Gynecol 2007; 30: 687–696.
18. Hoenig JM, Heisey DM. The abuse of power: the pervasive
fallacy of power calculations for data analysis. Am Stat 2001;
19. Lenth RV. Some practical guidelines for effective sample size
determination. Am Stat 2001; 55: 187–193.
20. To MS, Skentou CA, Royston P, Yu CKH, Nicolaides KH.
Prediction of patient-speciﬁc risk of early preterm delivery
using maternal history and sonographic measurement of cervical
length: a population-based prospective study. Ultrasound
Obstet Gynecol 2006; 27: 362–367.
21. Grimes-Dennis J, Berghella V. Cervical length and prediction
of preterm delivery. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol 2007; 19:
22. Berghella V, Owen J, MacPherson C, Yost N, Swain M,
Dildy GA III, Miodovnik M, Langer O, Sibai, for the National
Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD)
Maternal-Fetal Medicine Units Network (MFMU). Natu-
ral history of cervical funneling in women at high risk
for spontaneous preterm birth. Obstet Gynecol 2007; 109:
23. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. ACOG
Practice Bulletin. Assessment of risk factors for preterm birth:
clinical management guidelines for obstetrician-gynecologists.
Number 31, October 2001. Obstet Gynecol 2001; 98:
24. Institute of Medicine. Preterm Birth: Causes, Consequences, and
Prevention, Behrman RE, Butler AS (eds). National Academies
Press: Washington, DC, 2007.
25. Romero R, Espinoza J, Kusanovic JP, Gotsch F, Hassan S,
Erez O, Chaiworapongsa T, Mazor M. The preterm parturition
syndrome. BJOG 2006; 113 (Suppl 3): 17–42.
26. Rajabi MR, Dodge GR, Solomon S, Poole AR. Immunochem-
ical and immunohistochemical evidence of estrogen-mediated
collagenolysis as a mechanism of cervical dilatation in the
guinea pig at parturition. Endocrinology 1991; 128: 371–378.
27. Ito A, Imada K, Sato T, Kubo T, Matsushima K, Mori Y.
Suppression of interleukin 8 production by progesterone in
rabbit uterine cervix. Biochem J 1994; 301: 183–186.
28. Chwalisz K, Quing SS, NeeF G, Elger W. The effect of
antigestagen ZK 98.299 on the uterine cervix. Acta Endocrino
Logica 1987; (Suppl 283): 113–114, Abstract 133.
29. Fonseca E, Celik E, Parra M, Singh M, Nicolaides K, for the
Fetal Medicine Foundation Second Trimester Screening Group.
Progesterone and the risk of preterm birth among women with
a short cervix. New Engl J Med 2007; 357: 462–469.
30. Landon MB, Hauth JC, Leveno KJ, Spong CY, Lein-
decker S, Varner MW, Moawad AH, Caritis SN, Harper M,
Wapner RJ, Sorokin Y, Miodovnik M, Carpenter M, Peace-
man AM, O’Sullivan MJ, Sibai B, Langer O, Thorp JM,
2007 ISUOG. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2007; 30: 697–705.