www.landesbioscience.com Cancer Biology & Therapy 8
6. Salaun B, Coste I, Rissoan MC, Lebecque SJ, Renno T. TLR3 can directly trigger apoptosis
in human cancer cells. J Immunol 2006; 176:4894-901.
7. Shir A, Ogris M, Wagner E, Levitzki A. EGF receptor-targeted synthetic double-stranded
RNA eliminates glioblastoma, breast cancer and adenocarcinoma tumors in mice. PLoS
Med 2006; 3:e6.
8. Hirabayashi K, Yano J, Inoue T, Yamaguchi T, Tanigawara K, Smyth GE, Ishiyama K,
Ohgi T, Kimura K, Irimura T. Inhibition of cancer cell growth by polyinosinic-poly-
cytidylic acid/cationic liposome complex: a new biological activity. Cancer Res 1999;
9. Alexopoulou L, Holt AC, Medzhitov R, Flavell RA. Recognition of double-stranded RNA
and activation of NF-kappaB by Toll-like receptor 3. Nature 2001; 413:732-8.
10. Yoneyama M, Kikuchi M, Natsukawa T, Shinobu N, Imaizumi T, Miyagishi M, Taira K,
Arika S, Fujta T. The RNA helicase RIG-I has an essential function in double-stranded
RNA-induced innate antiviral responses. Nat Immunol 2004; 5:730-7.
11. Liu S, Yu Y, Zhang M, Wang W, Cao X. The involvement of TNF-alpha-related apoptosis-
inducing ligand in the enhanced cytotoxicity of IFN-beta-stimulated human dendritic cells
to tumor cells. J Immunol 2001; 166:5407-15.
12. Le Bon A, Etchart N, Rossmann C, Ashton M, Hou S, Gewert D, Borrow P, Tough DF.
Cross-priming of CD8+ T cells stimulated by virus-induced type I interferon. Nat Immunol
13. Plate JM, Plate AE, Shott S, Bograd S, Harris JE. Effect of gemcitabine on immune cells
in subjects with adenocarcinoma of the pancreas. Cancer Immunol Immunother 2005;
14. Suzuki E, Sun J, Kapoor V, Jassar AS, Albelda SM. Gemcitabine Has Significant
Immunomodulatory Activity in Murine Tumor Models Independent of its Cytotoxic
Effects. Cancer Biol Ther 2007; Epub.
15. Suzuki E, Kapoor V, Jassar AS, Kaiser LR, Albelda SM. Gemcitabine selectively eliminates
splenic Gr-1+/CD11b+ myeloid suppressor cells in tumor-bearing animals and enhances
antitumor immune activity. Clin Cancer Res 2005; 11:6713-21.
16. Nowak AK, Robinson BW, Lake RA. Gemcitabine exerts a selective effect on the humoral
immune response: implications for combination chemo-immunotherapy. Cancer Res 2002;
17. Nowak AK, Lake RA, Marzo AL, Scott B, Heath WR, Collins EJ, Frelinger JA, Robinson
BW. Induction of tumor cell apoptosis in vivo increases tumor antigen cross-presentation,
cross-priming rather than cross-tolerizing host tumor-specific CD8 T cells. J Immunol
18. Lin KY, Guarnieri FG, Staveley-O’Carroll KF, Levitsky HI, August JT, Pardoll DM, Wu
T-C. Treatment of established tumors with a novel vaccine that enhances major histocom-
patibility class II presentation of tumor antigen. Cancer Res 1996; 56:21-6.
19. Le UM, Cui Z. Long-circulating gadolinium-encapsulated liposomes for potential applica
tion in tumor neutron capture therapy. Int J Pharm 2006; 312:105-12.
20. Chou TC, Talalay P. Quantitative analysis of dose-effect relationships: the combined effects
of multiple drugs or enzyme inhibitors. Adv Enzyme Regul 1984; 22:27-55.
21. Ren J, Zheng L, Chen Q, Li H, Zhang L, Zhu H. Co-administration of a DNA vaccine
encoding the prostate specific membrane antigen and CpG oligodeoxynucleotides sup-
presses tumor growth. J Transl Med 2004; 2:29.
22. Hwu P, Yang JC, Cowherd R, Treisman J, Shafer GE, Eshhar Z and Rosenberg, SA. In vivo
antitumor activity of T cells redirected with chimeric antibody/T-cell receptor genes. Cancer
Res 1995; 55:3369-73.
23. Cui Z, Qiu F. Synthetic double-stranded RNA poly(I:C) as a potent peptide vaccine adju
vant: therapeutic activity against human cervical cancer in a rodent model. Cancer Immunol
Immunother 2006; 55:1267-79.
24. Dings RP, Yokoyama Y, Ramakrishnan S, Griffioen AW, Mayo KH. The designed angio
static peptide anginex synergistically improves chemotherapy and antiangiogenesis therapy
with angiostatin. Cancer Res 2003; 63:382-5.
25. Farrell PJ, Sen GC, Dubois MF, Ratner L, Slattery E, Lengyel P. Interferon Action: Two
Distinct Pathways for Inhibition of Protein Synthesis by Double-Stranded RNA. PNAS
26. Absher M, Stinebring WR. Toxic properties of a synthetic double-stranded RNA.
Endotoxin-like properties of poly I. poly C, an interferon stimulator. Nature 1969;
27. Chawla-Sarkar M, Leaman DW, Borden EC. Preferential induction of apoptosis by inter
feron (IFN)-beta compared with IFN-alpha2: correlation with TRAIL/Apo2L induction in
melanoma cell lines. Clin Cancer Res 2001; 7:1821-31.
28. Sidky YA, Borden EC. Inhibition of angiogenesis by interferons: effects on tumor- and
lymphocyte-induced vascular responses. Cancer Res 1987; 47:5155-61.
29. Meier H, Myers DD, Huebner RJ. Ineffectiveness of poly rI:rC on transplanted tumors
induced by methylcholanthrene. Naturwissenschaften 1970; 57:248-9.
30. Larson VM, Panteleakis PN, Hilleman MR. Influence of synthetic double-stranded ribonucleic
acid (poly I:C) on SV40 viral oncogenesis and transplant tumor in hamsters. Proc Soc Exp Biol
Med 1970; 133:14-9.
31. Pimm MV, Embleton MJ, Baldwin RW. Treatment of transplanted rat tumours with
double-stranded RNA (BRL 5907). I. Influenced of systemic and local administration. Br J
Cancer 1976; 33:154-65.
32. Anderson KM, Evans A, Kellen JA. Unimpaired development of DMBA-induced mam
mary tumors in rats treated with poly(I)-poly(C). Res Commun Chem Pathol Pharmacol
33. Weinstein AJ, Gazdar AF, Sims HL, Levy HB. Lack of correlation between interferon induc-
tion and antitumour effect of poly I-poly C. Nat New Biol 1971; 231:53-4.
34. Sakurai M, Iigo M, Sasaki Y, Nakagawa K, Fujiwara Y, Tamura T, Ohe Y, Bungo M, Saijo
N. Lack of correlation between interferon levels induced by polyribonucleotides and their
antimetastatic effect. Oncology 1990; 47:251-6.
35. DuBuy HG. Effect of local or distal therapeutic treatment with polyinosinic-polycytidylic
acid on survival of mice with Ehrlich carcinoma. J Natl Cancer Inst 1972; 48:1525-7.
36. Park JH, Baron S. Herpetic keratoconjunctivitis: therapy with synthetic double-stranded
RNA. Science 1968; 162:811-3.
37. Verdijk RM, Mutis T, Esendam B, Kamp J, Melief CJ, Brand A, Goulmy E. Polyriboinosinic
polyribocytidylic acid (poly(I:C)) induces stable maturation of functionally active human
dendritic cells. J Immunol 1999; 163:57-61.
38. Schmidt KN, Leung B, Kwong M, Zarember KA, Satyal S, Navas TA, Wang F, Godowski
PJ. APC-independent activation of NK cells by the Toll-like receptor 3 agonist double-
stranded RNA. J Immunol 2004; 172:138-43.
39. Sivori S, Falco M, Della Chiesa M, Carlomagno S, Vitale M, Moretta L, Moretta A. CpG
and double-stranded RNA trigger human NK cells by Toll-like receptors: induction of
cytokine release and cytotoxicity against tumors and dendritic cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA
40. Gelman AE, Zhang J, Choi Y, Turka LA. Toll-like receptor ligands directly promote acti
vated CD4+ T cell survival. J Immunol 2004; 172:6065-73.
41. Salem ML, Kadima AN, Cole DJ, Gillanders WE. Defining the antigen-specific T-cell
response to vaccination and poly(I:C)/TLR3 signaling: evidence of enhanced primary and
memory CD8 T-cell responses and antitumor immunity. J Immunother 2005; 28:220-8.
42. Schulz O, Diebold SS, Chen M, Naslund TI, Nolte MA, Alexopoulou L, Azuma Y-T,
Flavell RA, Liljestrom P, Sousa CR. Toll-like receptor 3 promotes cross-priming to virus-
infected cells. Nature 2005; 433:887-92.
43. Cui Z, Le UM, Qiu F, Shaker DS. Learning from Viruses: The Necrotic Bodies of Tumor
Cells with Intracellular Synthetic dsRNA Induced Strong Anti-tumor Immune Responses.
Pharm Res 2007; 24:1645-52.
44. Fujimura T, Nakagawa S, Ohtani T, Ito Y, Aiba S. Inhibitory effect of the polyinosinic-
polycytidylic acid/cationic liposome on the progression of murine B16F10 melanoma. Eur
J Immunol 2006; 36:3371-80.
45. Nowak AK, Robinson BW, Lake RA. Synergy between chemotherapy and immunotherapy
in the treatment of established murine solid tumors. Cancer Res 2003; 63:4490-6.
46. Pratesi G, Petrangolini G, Tortoreto M, Addis A, Belluco S, Rossini A, Selleri S, Rumio C,
Menard S, Balsari A. Therapeutic synergism of gemcitabine and CpG-oligodeoxynucleotides
in an orthotopic human pancreatic carcinoma xenograft. Cancer Res 2005; 65:6388-93.