684 Tod, Hardy, and Oliver
Goodger, K., Gorely, T., Lavallee, D., & Harwood, C. (2007). Burnout in sport: A systematic
review. The Sport Psychologist, 21, 127–151.
* Goudas, M., Hatzidimitriou, V., & Kikidi, M. (2006). The effects of self-talk on throwing-
and jumping-events performance. Hellenic Journal of Psychology, 3, 105–116.
Guyatt, G.H., Oxman, A.D., Vist, G.E., Kunz, R., Falck-Ytter, Y., Alonso-Coello, P., et al., for
the GRADE Working Group. (2008). GRADE: an emerging consensus on rating quality
of evidence and strength of recommendations. British Medical Journal, 336, 924–926.
* Hamilton, R.A., Scott, D., & MacDougall, M.P. (2007). Assessing the effectiveness of
self-talk interventions on endurance performance. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology,
* Harbalis, T., Hatzigeorgiadis, A., & Theodorakis, Y. (2008). Self-talk in wheelchair bas-
ketball: The effects of an intervention program on dribbling and passing performance.
International Journal of Special Education, 23, 62–69.
Hardy, J. (2006). Speaking clearly: A critical review of the self-talk literature. Psychology
of Sport and Exercise, 7, 81–97.
Hardy, J., Hall, C.R., & Alexander, M.R. (2001). Exploring self-talk and affective states in
sport. Journal of Sports Sciences, 19, 469–475.
* Hardy, J., Hall, C.R., Gibbs, C., & Greenslade, C. (2005). Self-talk and gross motor skill
performance: An experimental approach? Athletic Insight, 7, 1–13. Retrieved 26 August,
2005, from http://www.athleticinsight.com/Vol7Iss2/SelfTalkPerformance.htm
Hardy, J., Oliver, E., & Tod, D. (2009). A framework for the study and application of self-talk
within sport. In S.D. Mellalieu & S. Hanton (Eds.), Advances in applied sport psychol-
ogy: A review (pp. 37–74). London: Routledge.
Hardy, L., Jones, G., & Gould, D. (1996). Understanding psychological preparation for
sport: Theory and practice of elite performers. Chichester, England: Wiley.
* Harvey, D.T., Van Raalte, J.L., & Brewer, B.W. (2002). Relationship between self-talk and
golf performance. International Sports Journal, 6, 84–91.
* Hatzigeorgiadis, A., Theodorakis, Y., & Zourbanos, N. (2004). Self-talk in the swimming
pool: The effects of self-talk on thought content and performance on water-polo tasks.
Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 16, 138–150.
* Hatzigeorgiadis, A., Zourbanos, N., Goltsios, C., & Theodorakis, Y. (2008). Investigating
the functions of self-talk: The effects of motivational self-talk on self-efcacy and per-
formance in young tennis players. The Sport Psychologist, 22, 458–471.
* Hatzigeorgiadis, A., Zourbanos, N., Mpoumpaki, S., & Theodorakis, Y. (2009). Mechanisms
underlying the self-talk-performance relationship: The effects of motivational self-talk
on self-condence and anxiety. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 10, 186–192.
* Hatzigeorgiadis, A., Zourbanos, N., & Theodorakis, Y. (2007). The moderating effects of
self-talk content on self-talk functions. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 19, 240–251.
Higgins, E.T. (1999). When do self-discrepancies have specic relations to emotions? The
second generation question of Tangney, Neidenthal, Covert, & Barlow (1998). Journal
of Personality and Social Psychology, 77, 1313–1317.
Higgins, J.P.T., & Green, S. (2009). Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Inter-
ventions Version 5.0.2. Retrieved 4 December, 2010, from www.cochrane-handbook.org
Highlen, P.S., & Bennett, B.B. (1983). Elite divers and wrestlers: A comparison between
open- and closed-skill athletes. Journal of Sport Psychology, 5, 390–409.
Howard, W.L., & Reardon, J.P. (1986). Changes in the self-concept and athletic performance
of weight lifters through a cognitive-hypnotic approach: An empirical study. The American
Journal of Clinical Hypnosis, 28, 248–257.
* Johnson, J.J.M., Hrycaiko, D.W., Johnson, G.V., & Halas, J.M. (2004). Self-talk and female
youth soccer performance. The Sport Psychologist, 18, 44–59.
Kendall, P.C. (1984). Cognitive processes and procedures. In C. Franks, G. Wilson, P.
Kendall, & K. Browne, Annual review of behavior therapy (Vol. 10, pp. 123–163). New
York: Guilford Press.