AN UPDATE IN TARGETED THERAPY IN HEAD AND NECK CANCER 141
17. Mimeault M, Batra SK: Functions of tumorigenic and mi-
grating cancer progenitor cells in cancer progression and
metastasis and their therapeutic implications. Cancer
Metastasis Rev, 26: 203-214, 2007.
18. Fodde R, Brabletz T: Wnt/beta-catenin signaling in cancer
temness and malignant behavior. Curr Opin Cell Biol, 19:
19. Zhang Q, Chen G, Liu X, Qian Q: Monoclonal antibodies as
therapeutic agents in oncology and antibody gene therapy.
Cell Res, 17: 89-99, 2007.
20. Goerner M, Seiwert TY, Sudhoff H: Molecular targeted ther-
apies in head and neck cancer - An update of recent devel-
opements. Head Neck Oncol, 2: 8-10, 2010.
21. Razak AR, Siu LL, Le Tourneau C: Molecular targeted ther-
apies in all histologies of head and neck cancers: an up-
date. Curr Opin Oncol, 22: 212-220, 2010.
22. Le Tourneau C, Siu LL: Molecular-targeted therapies in the
treatment of squamous cell carcinomas of the head and
neck. Current Opinion in Oncology, 20: 256-263, 2008.
23. Vermorken JB, Trigo J, Hitt R, Koralewski P, Diaz-Rubio E,
Rolland F, Knecht R, Amellal N, Schueler A, Baselga J:
Open-label, uncontrolled, multicenter phase II study to
evaluate the efficacy and toxicity of cetuximab as a single
agent in patients with recurrent and/or metastatic squa-
mous cell carcinoma of the head and neck who failed to re-
spond to platinum-based therapy. J Clin Oncol, 25: 2171-
24. Kirby AM, A’Hern RP, D’Ambrosio C, Tanay M, Syrigos KN,
Rogers SJ, Box C, Eccles SA, Nutting CM, Harrington KJ:
Gefitinib (ZD1839, Iressa) as palliative treatment in recur-
rent or metastatic head and neck cancer. Br J Cancer, 94:
25. Stewart JSW, Cohen EEW, Licitra L: A phase III randomized
parallel group study of gefitinib (RESSA) versus methotrex-
ate (IMEX) in patients with recurrent squamous cell carci-
noma of the head and neck [abstract]. In: American Asso-
ciation for Cancer Research Annual Meeting: Proceedings;
14-18 Apr 2007; Los Angeles, Philadelphia: AACR; 2007, Ab-
26. Baselga J, Trigo JM, Bourhis J, Tortochaux J, Cortés-Funes
H, Hitt R, Gascón P, Amellal N, Harstrick A, Eckardt A:
Phase II multicenter study of the antiepidermal growth
factor receptor monoclonal antibody cetuximab in combi-
nation with platinum-based chemotherapy in patients
with platinum-refractory metastatic and/or recurrent
squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. J Clin On-
col, 23: 5568-5577, 2005.
27. Herbst RS, Arquette M, Shin DM, Dicke K, Vokes EE, Azar-
nia N, Hong WK, Kies MS: Phase II multicenter study of the
epidermal growth factor receptor antibody cetuximab and
cisplatin for recurrent and refractory squamous cell carci-
noma of the head and neck. J Clin Oncol, 23: 5578-5587,
28. Burtness B, Goldwasser MA, Flood W, Mattar B, Forastiere
AA: Phase III randomized trial of cisplatin plus placebo
compared with cisplatin plus cetuximab in metastatic / re-
current head and neck cancer: an Eastern Cooperative On-
cology Group study. J Clin Oncol, 23: 8646-8654, 2005.
29. Siu LL, Soulieres D, Chen EX, Pond GR, Chin SF, Francis P,
Harvey L, Klein M, Zhang W, Dancey J, Eisenhauer EA, Win-
quist E: Phase I/II trial of erlotinib and cisplatin in patients
with recurrent or metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of
the head and neck: a Princess Margaret Hospital phase II
consortium and National Cancer Institute of Canada Clin-
ical Trials Group Study. J Clin Oncol, 25: 2178-2183, 2007.
30. Cohen EE, Davis DW, Karrison TG, Seiwert TY, Wong SJ,
Nattam S, Kozloff MF, Clark JI, Yan DH, Liu W, Pierce C,
Dancey JE, Stenson K, Blair E, Dekker A, Vokes EE: Erlotinib
and bevacizumab in patients with recurrent or metastatic
squamous-cell carcinoma of the head and neck: a phase
I/II study. Lancet Oncol, 10: 247-257, 2009.
31. Matta A, Ralhan R: Overview of current and future biologi-
cally based targeted therapies in head and neck squamous
ell carcinoma. Head Neck Oncol, 1: 6-10, 2009.
32. Slaughter DP, Southwick HW, Smejkal W: “Field canceriza-
tion” in oral stratified squamous epithelium. Cancer, 6:
33. Leemans CR, Tiwari R, Nauta JJ, van der Waal I, Snow GB:
Recurrence at the primary site in head and neck cancer
and the significance of neck lymph node metastases as a
prognostic factor. Cancer, 73: 187-190, 1994.
34. Braakhuis BJ, Brakenhoff RH, Leemans CR: Gene expres-
sion profiling in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.
Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 18: 67-71, 2010.
35. Ha PK, Califano JA: The Molecular Biology of Mucosal Field
Cancerization of the Head and Neck. Critical Reviews in
Oral Biology & Medicine, 14: 363-369, 2003.
36. Mahfouz ME, Rodrigo JP, Takes RP, Elsheikh MN, Rinaldo A,
Brakenhoff RH, Ferlito A: Current potential and limitations
of molecular diagnostic methods in head and neck cancer.
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol, 267: 851-860, 2010.
37. Langer CJ: Targeted therapy in head and neck cancer: state
of the art 2007 and review of clinical applications. Cancer,
112: 2635-2645, 2008.
38. Mimeault M, Batra SK: Recent insights into the molecular
mechanisms involved in aging and the malignant transfor-
mation of adult stem/progenitor cells and their therapeu-
tic implications. Ageing Res Rev, 8: 94-112, 2009.
39. Szakács G, Paterson JK, Ludwig JA, Booth-Genthe C,
Gottesman MM: Targeting multidrug resistance in cancer.
Nat Rev Drug Discov, 5: 219-234, 2006.
40. Kim S, Grandis JR, Rinaldo A, Takes RP, Ferlito A: Emerging
perspectives in epidermal growth factor receptor targeting
in head and neck cancer. Head Neck, 30: 667-674, 2008.
41. Barnes CJ, Ohshiro K, Rayala SK, El-Naggar AK, Kumar R:
Insulin-like growth factor receptor as a therapeutic target
in head and neck cancer. Clin Cancer Res, 13: 4291-4299,
42. Hong DY, Lee BJ, Lee JC, Choi JS, Wang SG, Ro JH: Expres-
sion of VEGF, HGF, IL-6, IL-8, MMP-9, telomerase in pe-
ripheral blood of patients with head and neck squamous
cell carcinoma. Clin Exp Otorhinolaryngol, 2: 186-192,
43. Wang X, Hao MW, Dong K, Lin F, Ren JH, Zhang HZ: Apop-
tosis induction effects of EGCG in laryngeal squamous cell
carcinoma cells through telomerase repression. Arch
Pharm Res, 32: 1263-1269, 2009.
44. Kurihara Y, Watanabe Y, Onimatsu H, Kojima T, Shirota T,
Hatori M, Liu D, Kyo S, Mizuguchi H, Urata Y, Shintani S,
Fujiwara T: Telomerase-specific virotheranostics for hu-
man head and neck cancer. Clin Cancer Res, 15: 2335-2343,
45. Rubin Grandis J, Melhem MF, Gooding WE, Day R, Holst
VA, Wagener MM, Drenning SD, Tweardy DJ: Levels of TGF
alpha and EGFR protein in head and neck squamous cell
carcinoma and patient survival. J Natl Cancer Inst, 90: 824-
46. Grandis JR, Chakraborty A, Zeng Q, Melhem MF, Tweardy
DJ: Down modulation of TGF-alpha protein expression
with antisense oligonucleotides inhibits proliferation of
head and neck squamous carcinoma but not normal mu-
cosal epithelial cells. J Cell Biochem, 69: 55-62, 1998.
47. Lin DT, Subbaramaiah K, Shah JP, Dannenberg AJ, Boyle JO:
Cyclooxygenase-2: a novel molecular target for the preven-
tion, treatment of head, neck cancer. Head Neck, 24: 792-