Autologous 111 In-labelled platelet sequestration studies in patients with primary immune thrombocytopenia (ITP) prior to splenectomy: A report from the United Kingdom ITP Registry

Department of Public Health and Primary Care, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK.
British Journal of Haematology (Impact Factor: 4.71). 10/2010; 151(5):477-87. DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-2141.2010.08377.x
Source: PubMed


While splenectomy is an effective therapy for primary immune thrombocytopenia (ITP), possible complications and observed non-complete response (CR) in one-third of patients demonstrate the need for further research into potential pre-surgical predictors of outcomes. Past investigations into platelet sequestration studies, a hypothesized predictive test, have adopted heterogeneous methods and varied widely with regard to power. By studying patients with primary ITP who underwent autologous (111) In-labelled platelet sequestration studies at Barts and The London NHS Trust between 1994 and 2008, we evaluated the effectiveness of sequestration site in predicting short, medium, and long-term CR (platelet count >100 × 10(9) /l) to splenectomy through multivariate (gender, age at splenectomy, and mean platelet lifespan) logistic regression modelling. In total, 256 patients with primary ITP underwent scans; 91 (35·5%) proceeded to splenectomy. Logistic regression revealed significant adjusted odds ratios for CR of 7·47 (95% confidence interval [CI], 1·89-29·43) at 1-3 months post-splenectomy, 4·85 (95% CI, 1·04-22·54) at 6-12 months post-splenectomy, and 5·39 (95% CI, 1·34-21·65) at last follow-up (median: 3·8 years [range: 0·5-13·1 years]) in patients with purely or predominantly splenic versus mixed or hepatic sequestration. These findings demonstrate the utility of autologous (111) In-labelled platelet sequestration studies as an adjunct predictive instrument prior to splenectomy.

  • Source
    • "A simple exponential (random) consumption model is also sometimes used when the platelet consumption curve appears (by eye) to be purely exponential [24], [25], [26], an approach recommended in the 1970’s by an international panel [27]. There are however no agreed upon criteria for deciding when platelet consumption is sufficiently non-exponential to invalidate this method. "
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Unlike anemias, most thrombocytopenias cannot be separated into those due to impaired production and those due to accelerated consumption. While rapid clearance of labeled platelets from the bloodstream can be followed in thrombocytopenic individuals, no model exists for quantitatively inferring from autologous or allogeneic platelet consumption data what changes in random consumption, lifespan dependent consumption, and platelet production rate may have caused the thrombocytopenia. Here we describe a numerical analysis model which resolves these issues. The model applies three parameter values (a random consumption rate constant, a lognormally-distributed platelet lifespan, and the standard deviation of the latter) to a matrix comprising a series of platelet cohorts which are sequentially produced and fractionally consumed in a series of time intervals. The cohort platelet counts achieved after equilibration of production and consumption both enumerate the population age distribution and sum to the population platelet count. Continued platelet consumption after production is halted then serves to model in vivo platelet consumption data, with consumption rate in the first such interval defining the equilibrium platelet production rate. We use a least squares fitting procedure to find parameter values which best fit observed platelet consumption data obtained in WT and thrombocytopenic WASP(-) mice. Equilibrium platelet age distributions are then 'grafted' into the matrix to allow modeling of the consumption of WT platelets in WASP(-) recipients, and vice versa. The optimal parameter values obtained indicate that random WT platelet consumption accounts for a larger fraction of platelet turnover than was previously suspected. Platelet WASP deficiency accelerates random consumption, and a trans effect of recipient WASP deficiency contributes to this. Application of the model to clinical data will allow distinctions to be made between thrombocytopenias due primarily to impaired platelet production and those due to acceleration of random or lifespan-dependent platelet consumption.
    Preview · Article · Jan 2013 · PLoS ONE
  • Source
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Romiplostim, a thrombopoietic agent with demonstrated efficacy against immune thrombocytopenia (ITP) in prospective controlled studies, was recently licensed for adults with chronic ITP. Only France has allowed romiplostim compassionate use since January 2008. ITP patients could receive romiplostim when they failed to respond to successive corticosteroids, intravenous immunoglobulins, rituximab, and splenectomy, or when splenectomy was not indicated. We included the first 80 patients enrolled in this program with at least 2 years of follow-up. Primary platelet response (platelet count ≥ 50 × 10(9)/L and double baseline) was observed in 74% of all patients. Long-term responses (2 years) were observed in 47 (65%) patients, 37 (79%) had sustained platelet responses with a median platelet count of 106 × 10(9)/L (interquartile range, 75-167 × 10(9)/L), and 10 (21%) were still taking romiplostim, despite a median platelet count of 38 × 10(9)/L (interquartile range, 35-44 × 10(9)/L), but with clinical benefit (lower dose and/or fewer concomitant treatment(s) and/or diminished bleeding signs). A high bleeding score and use of concomitant ITP therapy were baseline factors predicting romiplostim failure. The most frequently reported adverse events were: arthralgias (26%), fatigue (13%), and nausea (7%). Our results confirmed that romiplostim use in clinical practice is effective and safe for severe chronic ITP. This trial was registered at as #NCT01013181.
    Full-text · Article · Aug 2011 · Blood
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: T-cell abnormalities are considered important in the pathogenesis of immune thrombocytopenia (ITP). Th1 polarization of the immune response in peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMC) has been observed in ITP patients. However, whether the polarization of T-cell subsets exists in splenocytes remains unclear. In the present study, we detected T-cell subsets and macrophage phagocytosis capacity in the spleens of ten ITP patients failing first-line treatment. Compared with traumatic patients, ITP patients had similar percentages of Th1, Tc1, and T1 (Th1 + Tc1) cells, but lower percentages of Th2 and Tc2 cells, which did not, however, reach significant difference. ITP patients had significantly lower percentages of T2 (Th2 + Tc2) cells than the control group (P = 0.035). The ratios of Th1/Th2 and T1/T2 were significantly higher in ITP patients than the control group (P = 0.025 and 0.027, respectively). Splenic macrophages from ITP patients presented significant increase in phagocytic capacity (P < 0.001). The phagocytosis rate in splenic macrophages positively correlated with the ratio of Th1/Th2 (r = 0.767, P = 0.010), but negatively correlated with percentage of Th2 cells (r = -0.804, P = 0.005). The skewed T-cell subsets and enhanced macrophage phagocytosis in the spleen may be closely related to the disease onset and status of ITP.
    No preview · Article · Aug 2011 · International journal of hematology
Show more