Giant Inflammatory Polyposis of the Cecum With Repeated Intussusception in Ulcerative Colitis: Report of a Case

The American Journal of Gastroenterology (Impact Factor: 10.76). 11/2009; 104(11):2873-4. DOI: 10.1038/ajg.2009.400
Source: PubMed


The American Journal of Gastroenterology is published by Nature Publishing Group (NPG) on behalf of the American College of Gastroenterology (ACG). Ranked the #1 clinical journal covering gastroenterology and hepatology*, The American Journal of Gastroenterology (AJG) provides practical and professional support for clinicians dealing with the gastroenterological disorders seen most often in patients. Published with practicing clinicians in mind, the journal aims to be easily accessible, organizing its content by topic, both online and in print., *2007 Journal Citation Report (Thomson Reuters, 2008)

9 Reads
  • Source
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: In the management of Crohn's disease, earlier aggressive treatment is becoming accepted as a strategy to prevent or retard progression to irreversible bowel damage. It is not yet clear, however, if this same concept should be applied to ulcerative colitis. Hence, we review herein the long-term structural and functional consequences of this latter disease. Disease progression in ulcerative colitis takes six principal forms: proximal extension, stricturing, pseudopolyposis, dysmotility, anorectal dysfunction, and impaired permeability. The precise incidence of these complications and the ability of earlier, more aggressive treatment to prevent them have yet to be determined.
    Full-text · Article · Jul 2012 · Inflammatory Bowel Diseases
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: Giant inflammatory polyposis (GIP), characterized by mass-like agglomerations of inflammatory polyps, is a rare complication of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). We reviewed a series of cases of GIP to determine its diagnostic impact on the clinical and pathologic distinction between ulcerative colitis (UC) and colonic Crohn's disease (CD). All colons with GIP resected over a 13-year period were identified prospectively and the corresponding clinical and pathologic records were reviewed. Twelve cases of GIP were identified, accounting for 0.8% of colectomies for IBD during the same time interval. Preoperatively, 6 (50%) patients were diagnosed with UC, 2 (17%) with CD and 4 (33%) with indeterminate colitis (IC). Postoperatively, 6 of the diagnoses (50%) were revised based on strict histopathologic criteria: all 4 diagnoses of IC to UC, one diagnosis of CD to UC, and one diagnosis of UC to CD, for a total of 10 diagnoses of UC (83%) and two of CD (17%). Significantly, 7 of 10 cases with postoperative diagnoses of UC (70%) had Crohn's-like transmural inflammation exclusively within the polyposis segments attributed to fecal entrapment and stasis and accounting for the Crohn's-like clinical complications in these cases. This case series of GIP, the largest reported from a single center, highlights the high rate of Crohn's-like clinical and pathological manifestations of GIP and their potential to confound the accurate classification of patients with IBD. A diagnosis of UC should not be amended to CD based on the findings of the polyposis segment alone.
    No preview · Article · Dec 2013 · Journal of Crohn s and Colitis
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: The enteric nervous system consists of about one hundred million of neurons. In big mammals (including humans) intestinal enteric neuronal cells are grouped into three types of intramural ganglia located within myenteric, as well as outer and inner submucosal plexuses, which are connected by numerous nerve fibres. Both nerve fibres and cell bodies located in the gastrointestinal tract utilise a broad spectrum of active substances. One of them is cocaine- and amphetamine-regulated transcript peptide (CART). The goal of the current study was to determinate the distribution and degree of co-localisation of CART with substances taking part in intestinal motor activity by double labelling immunofluorescence technique. During the study CART-, neuronal isoform of nitric oxide synthase (nNOS)-, vasoactive intestinal peptide (VIP)- and/or galanin (GAL) - like immunoreactive (LI) nerve fibres in the circular muscle layer of the human caecum were observed in all patients studied. The degree of co-localisation of particular substances with CART depended on their type. The majority of CART-LI fibres contained simultaneously nNOS, slightly lower degree of co-localisation was observed in the case of the VIP, while simultaneously CART- and GAL-positive nerve fibres were observed less often.
    No preview · Article · May 2015 · Folia morphologica
Show more