The cultural identity in the novel "The American Granddaughter"
by writer Inam Kaghi
Dr. bayda' Mohi Eddin Miro
University of Mustansiriyah
College of Basic Education
Department of Arabic Language
Do you speak English ?-
Yes I do
1) Arab Culture and Globalization, Mohamed Hassan Al-Barghathi, Arab
Institution for Studies, Beirut, 1st edition, 2007, p. 116.
2) - The question of identity in the novel "The American Granddaughter",
Sadiq Nasser Al-Sakr, 2013, Cultures website, 382.
3) The same source.
4) The American granddaughter, Inaam Kajji, Dar Al-Jadeed, Lebanon, 4th
floor, 2016, p. 9.
5) Aesthetics of cultural analysis, pre-Islamic poetry as a model, d. Yousef
Alimat, Central Press, Amman / Jordan, 1st edition, 2004, p. 35.
6) Cultural criticism: reading in Arab cultural contexts, Abdullah Al-
Ghazhami, Arab Cultural Center, Beirut / Lebanon, Casablanca /
Morocco, 3rd edition, 2005, p. 78.
7) The Question of Identity, Arabism, Islam and the West, Muhammad
Abid Al-Jabri, Center for Arab Unity Studies, Beirut, 3rd floor, 2006, p.
8) Looking: Education and the Crisis of Cultural Identity, Mohamed
Abdel-Raouf Attia, Thebes Institution for Publishing and Distribution,
Cairo, Ed. 1, 2009, p. 19.
9) Culture and globalization between adaptation and interaction, in Algeria
and globalization, Mourad Zaimi, publications of the University of
Constantine, Algeria, 2001, p. 120.
10) The American Granddaughter, p. 17.
11) The same source, pp. 17-18.
12) Language, identity and globalization, the battle of concepts, Abu Bakr
Jilali, within the book The Question of Identity in Establishment ... and
Criticism ... and the Future, a group of authors, Publications of Banks,
Beirut, Difference Publications, Algiers, I 1, 2016, p. 162.
13) Education and the Crisis of Cultural Identity, p. 46.
14) The American Granddaughter, p. 11.
15) The same source, p. 12.
16) The same source, p. 21.
17) The same source, p. 21.
18) Sociology of Culture and Identity, Harlemps and Holborn, Ter: Hatem
Hamid Hassan, Kennoan Printing and Publishing House, Damascus /
Syria, 1st edition, 2010, p. 14.
19) The American Granddaughter, p. 21.
20) The same source, pp. 29-30 .
21) The same source, p. 180.
22) The same source, p. 150.
23) The same source, pp. (102-104).
24) The same source, p. 50.
25) The problem of the ego and the other, "Arab Novelistic Models",
Magda Hammoud, The National Council for Culture, Arts and Letters,
Kuwait, I 1, 2013, p. 15.
26) Education and the Crisis of Cultural Identity, p. 44.
27) Islam and Contemporary Issues, Abdul Malik Murtada, Herma House
for Publishing and Distribution, Bouzarea / Algeria, (DT), 2009, p. 83.
28) The American Granddaughter, p. 12.
29) The same source, p. 40.
30) The same source, p. 15.
31) Al-Durrar scattered in the famous hadiths, Jalal al-Din al-Suyuti (d. 911
AH), d: Mohammed bin Lutfi Al-Sabbagh, Deanship of Library Affairs,
King Saud University, Riyadh, (D.T) (D.T.), Bab Al-Hamzah, vol. 8 / p.
32) Sahih Muslim, "The correct and shortest datum for transferring justice
from justice to the Messenger of God (may God bless him and his family
and grant them peace), Muslim bin Al-Hajjaj Abu Al-Hassan Al-
Qushairi Al-Nisaboori (d. 261 AH). D.T., Book of Faith / Chapter on the
Prophet (PBUH) saying, "Whoever cheats, it is not from us," part 1, p.
33) The same source, p. 21.
34) The same source, p. 45.
35) The same source, p. 117.
36) The same source, p. 115.
37) The Other Bank (Studies in Culture, Literature, and Criticism), Hosni
Mahmoud, Wael Publishing House, Amman / Jordan, 1st edition, 2008,
38) Education and the Crisis of Cultural Identity, p. 49.
39) The American Granddaughter, p. 23.
40) The same source, p. 12.
41) The same source, 12.
42) The same source, pp. 12-13.
43) The same source, pp. (108-109).
44) The same source, pp. (112-113).
45) The same source, pp. (113-114).
46) See: The same source, p. 115.
47) The same source (116-117).
48) Culture of globalization and globalization of culture, Burhan Ghalioun
and Samir Amin, Dar Al-Fikr and Contemporary House of Thought,
Damascus, Beirut, I 1, 1999, p. 234.
49) See: American granddaughter, p. 116.
50) The same source, p. 50.
51) The same source, p. 50.
52) The same source, p. 107.
53) The same source, p. 138.
54) The same source, p. 50.
55) The same source, p. 60.
56) The same source, p. 69.
57) The same source, pp. (96-97).
58) The same source, p. 22.
59) The phenomenon of alienation in Arab criticism, Mustafa El-Shadly,
Angoprint Press, Fes, Morocco, 1st edition, 2009, pp (109-110).
60) The American Granddaughter, p. 139.
61) The same source, p. 139.
62) The same source, pp. (142-143).
63) The same source, p. 139.
64) The same source, p. 133.
65) The same source, p. 128.
66) The same source, p. 130, and see: p. 131.
67) The same source, pp. (19-20).
68) The same source, p. 39.
69) The same source, p. 38.
70) The same source, pp. (45-46).
71) The same source, p. 46.
72) The same source, pp. (144-145).
73) The same source, p. 190.
74) The same source, p. 190.
75) The same source, pp. (135-138).
The cultural identity in the novel "The American Granddaughter" by
writer Inam Kaghi
Journal Islamic Sciences College
Identity poses a cultural crisis on both sides (the ego and the other)
during a package of questions subject to the transformations of
history and the process of culture. The search for identity and its
articulations within the narrative discourse calls for addressing the
cultural impact a communication discourse that aims to reveal the
functional and intellectual relationships that contributed to the
formation of the cultural identity and stand at its most important
manifestations And its secretions, which simulate a world, a part of
which remains present in the imagination of the producer of the text,
moving in a manner consistent with his comprehensive
understanding of his tacit world between the lines of the tale.
Dwelling on the issue of identity as an intellectual dimension in order
to investigate the cultural foundations upon which the narrative text
was held does not preclude the dismantling of the centralization of
the text and its conceptual destabilization, as the search for identity
is also a search for culture, and each culture has an identity, it is the
one that creates the identity and pigments it with its fixed features
and principles Starting from being in direct contact with the human
being, which is the basic component of society, according to his
knowledge of himself and others the social and cultural awareness of
him belongs, so identity is "the awareness of the human being and
his sense of his belonging to a community, nation, group or class
within the framework of general human belonging, it is our
knowledge of what and where we are, And from where we came, to
where we go, and what we want for ourselves and others, and our
position in the map of relationships, contradictions and existing
The novel (The American Granddaughter) of the writer (Inaam
Kajji) represents a narrative narrative text that directs many
problems regarding what identity is and how its features crystallize
through that attraction between the ego / Iraqi - American, and for
this reason this study seeks to reveal the dilemma and fragmentation
of identity during what it has presented ( Kggg) from cultural