INFORMATION ABOUT THE STUDY
1. This study regards mental training in sports and subjective well-being.
2. We invite all participants of 18 years of age who practice actively or used to practice sport.
3. Completion of the set of questionnaires takes about 10 minutes. Thank you for your effort and
contribution. Your answers are very valuable for us. We appreciate your desire to help. We will be
able to use your results in further analysis only when you complete the whole questionnaire. We
encourage you, therefore, to complete this questionnaire once you start.
4. Your participation in the survey is anonymous, voluntary and at any time (even after the start of the
study), you can withdraw from the survey without giving a reason.
5. You can ask questions about your role in the study. The researcher is obliged to answer your
questions. In some cases, because of the purpose of research, you may be asked, to wait for the
response until the end of the study. If the required information is important to you to take a decision
about the participation, you can refuse to participate in the study.
6. The researchers ensure the security of all data.
7. Before the research you will be asked for signing consent form for participants involved in research.
The consent form is required by test document ensuring respect for the rights of research
participants. It also helps in maintaining high standards of research by enhancing the operational
control of researchers.
8. Any questions about your participation in this project may be directed to the researcher Maciej
Behnke, Institute of Psychology, Adam Mickiewicz University, Poznan, Poland. Szamarzewskiego
Street 89, 60 – 568 Poznań, e-mail: email@example.com.
Research Topic: Mental Skills Level among the Athletes.
1. I declare that criteria for objectiveness of the study, together with any risks and reservations
associated with the procedures listed hereunder to be carried out in the research, have been fully
explained to me.
2. I declare that I have had the opportunity to receive an answer to any of my questions. I understand
that I can withdraw from this study at any time, and that this withdrawal will not result in any
disadvantage. me in any way.
3. I have been informed that the information I provide will be kept confidential and I freely consent to
participation in this study.
I, (please print your name)......................................................
am voluntarily giving my consent to participate in this study.
Maciej Behnke .......................................
researcher participant signature
SPORT MENTAL TRAINING QUESTIONNAIRE – SMTQ
Below are twenty statements. They concern specific experience that can be described as mental skills
associated with training process and sport competitions. Using the following scale from 1 to 5 indicate your
agreement with each statement. Numbers (1-5) describe how much you agree or disagree with each
1 - strongly disagree,
2 - disagree,
3 - neutral,
5 - strongly agree.
Please note that in this study there is no right or wrong answers. Please be open and honest in your
responding. Often the first intuitive answer is most accurate.
1. I can control my emotions when I am under pressure. 12345
2. I use self-talk to improve my actions, focusing my attention on key-elements of the performance (technique,
tactics, body sensations, etc.). 12345
3. I have a high level of self-confidence that makes me believe I can achieve anything I put my mind into. 12345
4. I know and I follow the rules established in the training group. 1 2 3 4 5
5. When I am under pressure during a competition I’m able to relax physically and mentally, so I am ready to
6. I use self-talk to help myself overcome hard times. 12345
7. I am able to "bounce back" and overcome any failure, it does not discourage me from further action. 1 2 3 4 5
8. During a competition I am able to adapt quickly to changes in performance situation and to distracting factors. 1 2 3 4 5
9. During the preparation for the competition I create real and accurate "inner films," planning possible obstacles
and feeling sensations associated with the imagery situation. 12345
10. I know my own value, my strengths and weaknesses, I plan how to improve them. 12345
11. I accept my role in the group, and I see it clearly. 1 2 3 4 5
12. Whenever I lose my self-control during a competition, I can regain control of my own actions in the right
13. I talk to myself to regulate my own thoughts, emotions and arousal. 12345
14. I have an unshakable belief in my athletic skills. 1 2 3 4 5
15. I am aware that I am part of my team, the staff and know the role of each person. 1 2 3 4 5
16. I can relax, reduce my arousal level during competition if the situation requires so. 1 2 3 4 5
17. I use mental imagery to control my own emotions. 12345
18. I am able to communicate effectively with my team, and staff during the competition. 1 2 3 4 5
19. I’m able to concentrate my attention on my performance and maintain it during the performance and in case of
any disruption, I can quickly restore my focus. 12345
20. Before the start I rehearse my performance in my mind going exactly the way I want it to look like during the
real competition. 12345
Cite: Behnke, M., Tomczak, M., Kaczmarek, L. D., Komar, M., & Gracz, J. (2017). The Sport Mental Training Questionnaire: Development and
Validation. Current Psychology, 1-13
1. To what extent mental preparation helps you achieve the best possible result during the competition in your discipline?
2. How many hours do you spend in training process (per week)
3. Current performance level:
International - qualifications to WC, Olympic Games, National Teams
National – finalist of National Championship (Individual events 1-16, teams 1-4)
Club - competition in club level sport events
Recreational - amateur sport events.
4. Sport discipline: ………………………………. Age: ……………..
Years participating in sport : …………… Gender: F / M
Country of origin: ……………………………..
If you are interested in obtaining your results and the final report of the study, please enter your e-mail. We'll send them to you if
research is completed.
e-mail: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
oFoundation skills : 3, 7, 10, 14
oPerformance skills : 1, 5, 8, 12, 16, 19
oInterpersonal skills: 4, 11, 15, 18
oSelf-talk: 2, 6, 13
oImagery: 9, 17, 20
M sd Very low low mean high very high
14,86 2,87 below 10 from 10 to 12 from 13 to 17 from 18 to 20 -
21,20 4,18 below 14 from 14 to 17 from 18 to 24 from 25 to 29 30
16,31 2,95 below 11 from 11 to 13 from 14 to 19 20 -
Self-talk 11,42 2,52 below 7 from 7 to 9 from 10 to 13 from 14 to 15 -
Imagery 10,62 3,07 below 5 from 5 to 8 from 8 to 13 from 14 to 15 -
74,42 11,41 below 54 from 54 to 65 from 66 to 83 from 84 to 94 Over 95