The aim of this investigation was to evaluate the relation between body fat percentages determined by dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry (DXA) versus multi-frequency bioelectrical impedance analysis (MfBIA). One hundred and ten recreationally active individuals (72 male, 38 female) completed a 12-hr fast, refrained from exercise for a minimum of 12 hrs, and alcohol consumption 24 hrs prior to testing. After anthropometric measures were assessed, the subjects’ body fat percentage was determined from DXA and MfBIA subsequently. Each subject completed both body composition assessments in one visit to the Human Performance Laboratory. Pearson’s correlations and paired t tests were computed for fat tissue percentage from DXA and MfBIA. Subjects’ mean age, height, and weight were 20.72 ± 2 yrs, 174.61 ± 10.09 cm, and 77.94 ± 17.76 kg, respectively. Body fat percentages between the DXA (25.61 ± 10.56%) and MfBIA (20.99 ±
9.34%) were significantly related (r =.94, P<0.0001). Body fat percentage determined by DXA shares 88% of the variance with MfBIA, leaving 12% variance unexplained. However, the t tests displayed significant differences between modalities for each group comparison (P<0.0001). The results of the current study reveal if strict guidelines are adhered to MfBIA is a comparable method for determining body fat percentage when compared to DXA.