Sustainable roofs are an important element in environmentally sustainable architecture, as they are an effective and practical way to increase the efficiency of thermal performance in building spaces and thus achieve energy conservation in them, and what this concept contribute to reduce the consumption of electrical energy which is depends mainly on fossil fuels especially in Iraq.
In fact that the administrative buildings, consume large amounts of energy because of the functional nature, higher occupancy throughout the day period, especially in Iraq with the hot dry climate, which is characterized by long summer, frequent solar radiation, high temperatures, and a large amount of the thermal loads on the envelop of building, specially the roof which is a bears a large amount of it and it has become necessary to use a sustainable roofs on administrative buildings, specially university administrative buildings, to achieve energy conservation for indoor environment of buildings, as well as improve air quality ,and increase thermal comfort ranges in them
The general problem is to look for: the lack of a holistic perception of knowledge about the patterns and the role of the sustainable roof in energy conservation according to the climate of the region and the pattern of buildings. While the special problem: there is a lack of knowledge about the utilize the efficient sustainable roofs in the field of energy conservation for university administrative buildings in Iraq.
Then, the general aim of the research is: To clarify the most comprehensive strategies related to utilize the sustainable roofs for energy conservation in hot dry regions such as Iraq. As for the secondary aims of the research, they are defined as:
• Clarifying the types of sustainable roofs and the importance of each type to increasing the efficiency of thermal performance, and then achieving the concept of energy conservation for indoor spacing of university administrative buildings .
• Finding practical strategies to explore the most efficient sustainable roofs in the field of energy conservation for each type of them, while clarifying the possibility of its application in contemporary Iraqi university administrative buildings.
• Providing a hypothetical application to test a university administrative building block that is identical in design, with different sustainable roofs and in line with Baghdad's hot dry climate in order to enrich the architectural experience in general, and the university administrative buildings in particular.
The research lays the following basic hypothesis: “Sustainable roofs are considered one of the efficient design solutions and one of the most effective ways to achieve energy conservation within administrative buildings in general, and Iraqi university administrative buildings in particular.”
The general hypothesis of the research included a set of secondary hypotheses, which included the following:
• the roofs effect on overall of thermal performance, and as a result, on achieving energy conservation for university administrative building.
• Contributed all of types of the Sustainable roofs and the results of their applications a fundamental role in achieving the concept of energy conservation in the university administrative buildings.
• using the environmental simulation programs to recognize the most efficient sustainable roofs which it's achieving conservation energy in university administrative buildings.
The research is based in its methodology for the purpose of achieving its goals, on a theoretical study supported by a practical application of a university administrative building in the hot and dry city of Baghdad. Many sources related to the main concepts of the research were reviewed and discussed in three chapters, namely: The first chapter dealing with the concept and strategies of achieving "Energy conservation in the building", and the second chapter discussed: requirements, importance and advantages of "university administrative building and energy conservation", then the third chapter dealt with: all types of roofs that achieve energy conservation, which are "sustainable roofs". After extracting the theoretical indicators from the previous chapters, from Then the practical aspect was implemented in the fourth semester: "Application of sustainable roofs in university administrative buildings" using a computer program for environmental simulation. As a result, the research reached a number of conclusions, the most important of which are: Energy conservation is a concept that is applicable in the hot and dry climate of Iraq sustainable roofs, and the high efficiency of the Intensive Green Roof and the Ponds roofs in improving the internal environment of the university administrative building in Baghdad is specifically by reducing the energy consumed for Cooling and heating, which is reflected positively in reducing energy demand and then saving it.