Iranmanesh F et al.
Zahedan J Res Med Sci. 2015;17(6):e9904
All authors had equal role in design, work, statistical
analysis and manuscript writing.
Kerman University of Medical Sciences.
1. Samadi S, Ebrahimi HA. Evaluation of electrophysiologic ﬁnd-
ings with median nerve condition during surgery in carpal tun-
nel syndrome. Iran J Plast Reconst Surg. 2003;6:23.
2. Mondelli M, Giannini F, Giacchi M. Carpal tunnel syndrome in-
cidence in a general population. Neurology. 2002;58(2):289–94.
3. Graham B. The value added by electrodiagnostic testing in
the diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome. J Bone Joint Surg Am.
4. Bland JD. The relationship of obesity, age, and carpal tunnel
syndrome: more complex than was thought? Muscle Nerve.
5. Yazdanpanah P, Aramesh S, Mousavizadeh A, Ghaﬀari P, Khosravi
Z, Khademi A. Prevalence and severity of carpal tunnel syndrome
in women. Iran J Public Health. 2012;41(2):105–10.
6. Atroshi I, Lyren PE, Gummesson C. The 6-item CTS symptoms
scale: a brief outcomes measure for carpal tunnel syndrome.
Qual Life Res. 2009;18(3):347–58.
7. Farmer JE, Davis TR. Carpal tunnel syndrome: a case-control
study evaluating its relationship with body mass index and hand
and wrist measurements. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2008;33(4):445–8.
8. Farzan M, Mazoochy H, Sobhani A, Shajirat Z, Zolfaghari R, Espan-
dar R. Carpal tunnel syndrome and contributing factors in 362
hospitalized patients. Tehran Univ Med J. 2012;70(1):27–32.
9. Ibrahim T, Majid I, Clarke M, Kershaw CJ. Outcome of carpal tun-
nel decompression: the inﬂuence of age, gender, and occupa-
tion. Int Orthop. 2009;33(5):1305–9.
10. Lozano-Calderon S, Anthony S, Ring D. The quality and strength
of evidence for etiology: example of carpal tunnel syndrome. J
Hand Surg Am. 2008;33(4):525–38.
11. Moghtaderi A, Izadi S, Sharafadinzadeh N. An evaluation of gen-
der, body mass index, wrist circumference and wrist ratio as in-
dependent risk factors for carpal tunnel syndrome. Acta Neurol
12. Wainner RS, Fritz JM, Irrgang JJ, Delitto A, Allison S, Boninger ML.
Development of a clinical prediction rule for the diagnosis of car-
pal tunnel syndrome. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2005;86(4):609–18.
13. McCabe SJ, Uebele AL, Pihur V, Rosales RS, Atroshi I. Epidemiolog-
ic associations of carpal tunnel syndrome and sleep position: is
there a case for causation? Hand (N Y). 2007;2(3):127–34.
14. Jensen MP, Gould EM, Victor TW, Gammaitoni AR, White RE, Galer
BS. The relationship of changes in pain quality to pain interfer-
ence and sleep quality. J Pain. 2010;11(8):782–8.
15. McCabe SJ, Xue Y. Evaluation of sleep position as a potential cause
of carpal tunnel syndrome: preferred sleep position on the side
is associated with age and gender. Hand (N Y). 2010;5(4):361–3.
16. McCabe SJ, Gupta A, Tate DE, Myers J. Preferred sleep position on
the side is associated with carpal tunnel syndrome. Hand (N Y).
17. Amirkhizi F, Ahmadi SM, Rahimi A. Obesity and iron status in
women of reproductive age. Med Lab J. 2008;2(1):17–2.
18. Dumetriu D, Zwarts M. Focal peripheral neuropathies. In: Du-
mitru D, Amato AA, Zwarts M editors. Electrodiagnostic medicine..
Philadelphia: Hanley and Belfus; 2002. pp. 1047–68.
19. Gupta R, Rummler L, Steward O. Understanding the biol-
ogy of compressive neuropathies. Clin Orthop Relat Res.
20. Weiss ND, Gordon L, Bloom T, So Y, Rempel DM. Position of the
wrist associated with the lowest carpal-tunnel pressure: impli-
cations for splint design. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1995;77(11):1695–9.
21. Patel JN, McCabe SJ, Myers J. Characteristics of sleep distur-
bance in patients with carpal tunnel syndrome. Hand (N Y).
22. Katz JN, Larson MG, Sabra A, Krarup C, Stirrat CR, Sethi R, et al.
The carpal tunnel syndrome: diagnostic utility of the history and
physical examination ﬁndings. Ann Intern Med. 1990;112(5):321–7.
23. Gerritsen AA, de Vet HC, Scholten RJ, Bertelsmann FW, de Krom
MC, Bouter LM. Splinting vs surgery in the treatment of car-
pal tunnel syndrome: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA.
24. Rothman KJ, Greenland S. Causation and causal inference in epi-
demiology. Am J Public Health. 2005;95 Suppl 1:S144–50.
25. Kubota T, Ohshima N, Kunisawa N, Murayama R, Okano S, Mori-
Okamoto J. Characteristic features of the nocturnal sleeping pos-
ture of healthy men. Sleep Biol Rhythms. 2003;1(2):183–5.
26. Ibrahim I, Khan WS, Goddard N, Smitham P. Carpal tunnel
syndrome: a review of the recent literature. Open Orthop J.
27. Spahn G, Wollny J, Hartmann B, Schiele R, Hofmann GO. [Meta-
analysis for the evaluation of risk factors for carpal tunnel syn-
drome (CTS) Part I. General factors]. German . Z Orthop Unfall.
28. Palmer KT, Haward B, Griﬃn MJ, Bendall H, Coggon D. Validity of
self reported occupational exposures to hand transmitted and
whole body vibration. Occup Environ Med. 2000;57(4):237–41.
29. Palmer KT, Harris EC, Coggon D. Carpal tunnel syndrome and its
relation to occupation: a systematic literature review. Occup Med
30. Kao SY. Carpal tunnel syndrome as an occupational disease. J Am
Board Fam Pract. 2003;16(6):533–42.
31. Palmer KT. Carpal tunnel syndrome: the role of occupational fac-
tors. Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2011;25(1):15–29.
32. Lee HJ, Kwon HK, Kim DH, Pyun SB. Nerve conduction studies
of median motor nerve and median sensory branches accord-
ing to the severity of carpal tunnel syndrome. Ann Rehabil Med.
33. de-la-Llave-Rincon AI, Laguarta-Val S, Arroyo-Morales M, Marti-
nez-Perez A, Pareja JA, Fernandez-de-Las-Penas C. [Characterisa-
tion of pain in patients with carpal tunnel syndrome accord-
ing to electromyographic severity criteria]. Spanish. Rev Neurol.
34. Sonohata M, Tsuruta T, Mine H, Morimoto T, Mawatari M. The
relationship between neuropathic pain, and the function of the
upper limbs based on clinical severity according to electrophysi-
ological studies in patients with carpal tunnel syndrome. Open
Orthop J. 2013;7:99–102.
35. Montgomery-Downs HE, O'Brien LM, Holbrook CR, Gozal D. Snor-
ing and sleep-disordered breathing in young children: subjec-
tive and objective correlates. Sleep. 2004;27(1):87–94.