ArticlePDF Available

Effectiveness of Psycho-education on Emotional Maturity of Adolescents



Adolescence is the stage where extreme emotions are expressed with the intensity of adulthood but devoid of adult perspective. Literature reports that 55%-63% of adolescents are at low level of emotional maturity. Considering this high prevalence and lack of standard intervention to manage emotional immaturity, this experimental study was done to assess the effectiveness of psycho-education on emotional maturity among emotional immature adolescents. Total 307 eligible adolescents were randomly recruited from eight conveniently selected schools of dist Faridkot, Punjab. Schools were randomly assigned to either experimental or control group. From each school, 10–12 emotional immature adolescents were selected randomly (loery method). Finally eighty emotional immature subjects completed the study. Emotional maturity scale and socio demographic data sheet was used to collect data. Five sessions of psycho-education were given for five consecutive days to experimental group for one hour each day. The findings revealed that 57% of adolescents were emotionally immature. Psycho education significantly enhanced the emotional maturity at 0.05 level in experimental group. Hence it can be concluded that psycho-education is effective intervention for emotional immaturity. Adolescents should be early identified if they are emotionally immature and can be managed with help of school health nurse in school setting by providing psycho education.
Background of the Study: A man’s life is normally divided into five stages namely: infancy, childhood, Adolescence, adulthood and old age. Every stage has its significance in terms of biological and psychological transition which in-turn influences the behaviour, among these stages the pivotal transformation occurs between childhoods to adolescence, which is also termed as biological stress. Hormones for the first time appear and change the internal environment and in-turn influence psychological composure of an individual, this influence can be in positive or in negative way1. AIM: Aim of study is to assess and compare emotional maturity of boys and girls nursing student from selected nursing college of latur. Method: In this study a total of 120 samples were chosen using non probability convenient sampling, structured Emotional maturity scale was administered to assess emotional maturity among boys and girls of Nursing college. Result: From the findings of the present study, it can be concluded that Highest Percentage (86%) boys are emotionally mature and remaining (14%) are emotionally immature. Highest percentage (95%) girls are emotionally mature and remaining (5%) are emotionally immature. Independent ‘t’ – test was computed results revealed there was a significant difference in Emotional Maturity between Boys and Girls Nursing students. To find association with level of Emotional maturity and selected personal demographic variables Chi-Square was computed, results revealed that there was significant association with personal variables like Age and Family income. Conclusion: The study revealed that emotional maturity is having a profound impact on boys and girls and it Revealed that girls had higher emotional maturity compare to boys. The result also demonstrates that the Questionnaire was effective for comparing the emotional Maturity in between boys and girls among the nursing student at M.I.N.S college Latur.
ResearchGate has not been able to resolve any references for this publication.