Enterobius vermicularis Infection with Tuboovarian Abscess and Peritonitis Occurring during Pregnancy

Department of Surgery, VUB University Hospital, Brussels, Belgium.
Surgical Infections (Impact Factor: 1.45). 09/2009; 10(6):545-7. DOI: 10.1089/sur.2008.090
Source: PubMed


Extraintestinal Enterobius vermicularis infections are rare but may occasionally affect the female genital tract. Although mostly asymptomatic or causing minor clinical problems, they may lead to severe infectious complications.
Case report and review of the pertinent English language literature.
A 31-year-old, 30-week-pregnant female was admitted with a clinical suspicion of appendicitis. At surgery, the appendix appeared normal, but generalized peritonitis of unclear origin was present. Eggs of Enterobius vermicularis were found upon microbiological and pathological examination. Because of persisting infectious disease, the patient underwent an elective caesarean section, and at that time the diagnosis of a right tuboovarian abscess was made, and salpingo-oophorectomy was performed. The pathology report confirmed the diagnosis of an E. vermicularis salpingo-oophoritis.
This case was extraordinary because of a combination of tuboovarian abscess and generalized peritonitis with E. vermicularis infection occurring during late pregnancy. Ectopic enterobiasis should be considered in the differential diagnosis of pelvic infections of gynecological origin.

50 Reads
  • Source
    • "Children presenting with, especially, uncomplicated enuresis should be screened for enterobiasis. conditions such as vaginitis, vulvovaginitis (pruritus vulvae) [7] , granulomatous endometritis, and lesions such as pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)[9], salpingitis, pelvic peritonitis, tubo-ovarian abscess [10] and prostatitis (in males) [11] leading to sterility have been reported [9] . Other studies have associated enterobiasis with ear and eye infections and the facilitation of the transmission of Dientamoeba fragilis [12] . "
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: To investigate the relationship between enterobiasis and enuresis before and after albendazole therapy among 632 children, aged, 5-14 years, in Calabar, Nigeria. The scotch tape (cellotape) technique was used for the detection of eggs of Enterobius vermicularis (E. vermicularis) while questionnaire-based interviews were used for screening for anal itching and/or enuresis among study participants. All subjects found positive for Enterobius infection as confirmed by the presence of eggs and those with persistent anal itching (both enuretic and non-enuretic) were treated with 400 mg of albendazole given as a single dose. The treated subjects were re-assessed post-treatment to ascertain whether they were cured and also to determine their enuretic status (for the enuretics). The overall prevalences of Enterobius infection, anal itching, and enuresis prior to albendazole therapy were 6.8%, 42.9%, and 35.6% respectively. There was no statistically significant difference in the prevalence of these parameters by the socio-economic class of subjects (P = 0.462, P = 0.647, and P = 0.610, respectively). The pre-treatment prevalences of enuresis among Enterobius and anal itching-positive subjects were 53.5% and 49.8%, respectively versus 34.3% and 24.9%, respectively among their negative counterpart (P = 0.012 and P < 0.001, respectively). Four (20%) out of the 20 enuretic children found Enterobius egg-negative after albendazole therapy were equally cured while 8(40%) had reduction of their enuresis, thus giving a total resolution rate of 60%. Similarly, 64.2% resolution (25% cure and 32.8% reduction) of enuresis was observed amongst 120 anal itching-cured/enuretic children. Enuretic status of the Enterobius-/anal itching-uncured subjects, on the other hand, remained unchanged post-treatment. This study is suggestive of the involvement of E. vermicularis in the aetiology of enuresis in Calabar. Children presenting with, especially, uncomplicated enuresis should be screened for enterobiasis.
    Full-text · Article · Apr 2011 · Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: A dynamic research of marine steam turbine propulsion is very important problem in ship construction and ship exploitation. The creating model presented in this paper is using to research the dynamics of marine steam turbine propulsion. The creating model is based on the marine steam turbine power plant MST-23, one of the most modern marine steam turbine power plant. The results of the research using this model are characteristics of the related changes on the time of the most important parameters of marine steam turbine propulsion plant in the transient states and it's very important for analyzing marine steam turbine propulsion plant in the transient states
    No preview · Conference Paper · Dec 2004

  • No preview · Article · Sep 2010 · La Presse Médicale
Show more