Article

Caracterización de canales de ganado bovino en los valles centrales de Oaxaca

Tecnica Pecuaria en Mexico (Impact Factor: 0.4). 01/2005; 43(2).
Source: DOAJ

ABSTRACT

El ganado bovino sacrificado en los valles centrales de Oaxaca muestra alta diversidad debido a que procede de diferentes regiones y sistemas de producción (SP). El objetivo del estudio fue caracterizar el ganado bovino sacrificado, y para ello se evaluaron 1,375 canales, determinando raza, edad, procedencia, SP, espesor de grasa dorsal, marmoleo, conformación y peso de la canal caliente (PC). El 95 % de los animales sacrificados provinieron del trópico y de estos, el 75 % fue criado en sistema de pastoreo. Las cruzas predominantes fueron Cebú x Suizo Pardo (37 %) y Cebú x Holstein (16 %) entre los 3 y 4 años de edad. Los toros provenientes del trópico húmedo presentaron el promedio más alto de PC (309.4 kg; P<0.05). Los toros raza cebú y cruzas Cebú x criollo y Cebú x Suizo Pardo obtuvieron los mayores promedios de PC (325.8, 301.6 y 297.8 kg, respectivamente). La mayor proporción de canales con buena conformación fueron obtenidas de toros y toretes provenientes del trópico húmedo (P<0.05) y en los SP pastoreo-complemento y engorda intensiva (78.8 y 85.2 %, respectivamente). Los novillos raza Cebú criados en engorda intensiva y pastoreo-complemento obtuvieron mayores (P<0.05) espesores de grasa (5.1 y 3.5 mm). La raza tiene influencia en la composición de la canal, después de ella, el sistema de producción, la alimentación y la madurez son determinantes en el rendimiento y calidad de la canal.

Full-text preview

Available from: uaemex.mx
  • Source
    • "This is in line with a previous report (Nuñez et al., 2005) that observed that nearly 40% of the slaughter cattle in Oaxaca State originated from young bulls. Nuñez et al. (2005)attrib- uted their findings to the demand of Mexican consumers for low-fat beef. Apparently, this is not true for "
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: The objective of the present study was to evaluate quality and yield attributes of Mexican beef carcasses to serve as a benchmark for production in the Mexican beef cattle industry. Seven packing plants were surveyed nationwide. Carcass yield and quality traits were assessed in the cooler at approximately 24 h postmortem. Results indicated that around 90% of the beef slaughter population in Mexico has a strong Bos indicus genetic background. Moreover, 71.6% of the surveyed cattle are presented for slaughter at a BW between 400 and 500 kg. Chilled carcass weight was between 220 and 340 kg in 88.9% of the surveyed population. According to European beef carcass grading standards, carcass conformation varied from poor to good in 82% of the carcasses, whereas in 17.8% the conformation was very good or excellent. In 60.7% of the surveyed carcasses the KPH was 2% or less. The subcutaneous fat depth was 1 cm or less in 90% of the carcasses. In 71.8% of the carcasses the LMA was of 80 cm(2) or less, whereas only 8.6% had LMA values of 90 cm(2) or greater. Carcass maturity score USDA B(100) or less was found in 92.4% of the evaluated carcasses, whereas 28.5% were graded as USDA A(100)/B(00). A total of 93.6% of the sample had marbling scores of 300 or less, corresponding to the categories slight, practically devoid, or traces. Only 12.9% of the carcasses exhibited a yellow fat cover. In the remaining 87.1% the fat cover was white or beige. The backfat layer was uniform in 43.2% of the carcasses, whereas 55.9% had an uneven fat cover. Information from this survey provided data that could serve as a means to develop a yield and quality evaluation program that can be further developed into a value system for Mexican beef carcasses and live cattle.
    Full-text · Article · Aug 2009 · Journal of Animal Science