3. Ungar M (2009) Overprotective parenting: Helping parents provide children the
right amount of risk and responsibility. Am J Fam Ther 37: 258–271. doi:
4. Bayer JK, Sanson AV, Hemphill SA (2006) Parent influences on early childhood
internalizing difficulties. J App Dev Psychol 27: 542–559. doi: 10.1016/
5. Cooklin AR, Giallo R, D’Esposito F, Crawford S, Nicholson JM (2013)
Postpartum maternal sepa ration anxiety, overprot ective parenting, an d
children’s social-emotional well-being: Longitudinal evidence from an Australian
cohort. J Fam Psychol 27: 618–628. doi: 10.1037/a0033332
6. Givertz M, Segrin C (2012) The association between overinvolved parenting and
young adults’ self-efficacy, psychological entitlement, and family communica-
tion. Commun Res. doi: 10.1177/0093650212456392
7. Schiffrin H, Liss M, Miles-McLean H, Geary K, Erchull M, et al. (2013) Helping
or hovering? The effects of helicopter parenting on college students’ well-being.
J Child Fam Stud: 1–10. doi: 10.1007/s10826-013-9716-3
8. Gabriel T (2010) Students, welcome to college; parents, go home. The New
York Times. Available: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/23/education/
23college.html?_r = 0. Accessed 2013 October 29.
9. Paton G (2012) Children no longer allowed to fail, Tanya Byron warns. The
Telegraph. Available: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/
9725022/Children-no -longer-a llowed-to-f ail-Tanya-Byro n-warns.html. Ac-
cessed 2013 October 29.
10. Valentine G (2004) Public space and the culture of childhood. Aldershot:
Ashgate Publishing Ltd.
11. Cooklin AR, Lucas N, Strazdins L, Westrupp E, Giallo R, et al. (2013)
Heightened maternal separati on anxiety in the postpartum: the role of
socioeconomic disadvantage. J Fam Issues. doi: 10.1177/0192513x13481776
12. Cooklin AR, Rowe HJ, Fisher JRW (2012) Paid parental leave supports
breastfeeding and mother-inf ant relationship: a prospective investigation of
maternal postpartum employment. Aust N Z J Public Health 36: 249–256. doi:
13. Wilson DK, Kirtland KA, Ainsworth BE, Addy CL (2004) Socioeconomic status
and perceptions of access of safety for physical activity. Ann Behav Med 28: 20–
28. doi: 10.1207/s15324796abm2801_4
14. Gray P (2011) The decline of play and the rise of psychopathology in children
and adolescents. Am J Play 3: 443–463.
15. Clements R (2004) An investigation of the status of outdoor play. Contemp
Issues Early Childhood 5: 68–80. doi: 10.2304/ciec.2004.5.1.10
16. Shutt EJ, Miller MJ, Schreck CJ, Brown NK (2004) Reconsidering the leading
myths of stranger child abduction. Criminal Justice Studies 17: 127–134. doi:
17. Snyder HN (2000) Sexual assault of young children as reported to law
enforcement: Victim, incident, and offender characteristics. Washington: Bureau
of Justice Statistics.
18. AIHW (2012) A picture of Australia’s children 2012. Cat. No. PHE 167.
19. Peden M, Oyegbite K, Ozanne-Smith J, Hyder AA, Branche C, et al. (2008)
World Report of Child Injury Prevention. Geneva, Switzerland
20. AIHW National Injury Surveillance Unit (2012) Trends in hospitalised
childhood injury in Australia 1999-07. Injury research and statistics series
no. 75. Cat. No. INJCAT 151. Canberra: AIHW.
21. Mitchell R, Schmertmann M, Sherker S (2009) Trends and future projections of
child injury in New South Wales: A tool for advocacy? J Paediatr Child Health
45: 754–761. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-1754.2007.01157.x
22. Doukas G, Olivier J, Poulos R, Grzebieta R (2010) Exploring differential trends
in severe and fatal child pedestrian injury in New South Wales, Australia (1997–
2006). Accid Anal Prev 42: 1705–1711. doi: 10.1016/j.aap.2010.04.010
23. Tomkinson GR, Olds TS (2007) Secular changes in aerobic fitness test
performance of Australasian children and adolescents. Med Sport Sci 50: 171–
185. doi: 10.1159/0000101361
24. Tomkinson GR, Olds TS (2007) Secular changes in pediatric aerobic fitness test
performance: the global picture. Med Sport Sci 50: 46–66. doi: 10.1159/
25. Salmon J, Timperio A, Cleland V, Venn A (2005) Trends in children’s physical
activity and weight status in high and low socio-economic status areas of
Melbourne, Victoria, 1985–2001. Aust N Z J Public Health 29: 337–342. doi:
26. Harten N, Olds TS (2004) Patterns of active transport in 11–12 year old
Australian children. Aust N Z J Public Health 28: 167–172. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-
27. Zubrick SR, Wood L, Villanueva KP, Wood G, Giles-Corti B, et al. (2010)
Nothing but fear itself: Parental fear as a determinant impacting on child
physical activity and independent mobility. Melbourne: Victorian Health
Promotion Foundation (VicHealth). Available: http://www.vichealth.vic.gov.
au/Publications/Phys ical-Activity/A ctive-trans port/Nothin g-But-Fear-Itself .
aspx. Accessed 2013 October 29.
28. Olds TS, Tomkinson GR, Ferrar KE, Maher CA (2010) Trends in the
prevalence of childhood overweight and obesity in Australia between 1985 and
2008. Int J Obes 34: 57–66. doi: 10.1038/ijo.2009.211
29. Veitch J, Bagley S, Ball K, Salmon J (2006) Where do children usually play? A
qualitative study of parents’ perceptions of influences on children’s active free-
play. Health Place 12: 383-393. doi: 10.1016/j.healthplace.2005.02.009
30. Karsten L (2005) It all used to be better? Different generations on continuity and
change in urban children’s daily use of space. Children’s Geogr 3. doi: 10.1080/
31. Ding D, Bracy NH, Sallis JF, Saelens BE, Norman GJ, et al. (2012) Is fear
among strangers related to physical activity among yo uth? Am J Health Promot
26: 189–195. doi: 10.4278/ajhp.100701-QUAN-224
32. Carver A, Timperio A, Crawford D (2008) Playing it safe: The influence of
neighbourhood safety on children’s physical activity - a review. Health Place 14:
217–227. doi: 10.1016/j.healthplace.2007.06.004
33. Carver A, Timperio A, Hesketh K, Crawford D (2012) How does perceived risk
mediate associations between perceived safety and parental restriction of
adolescents’ physical activity in their neighborhood? Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act
9: 1–7. doi: 10.1186/1479-5868-9-57
34. Page AS, Cooper AR, Griew P, Davis L, Hillsdon M (2009) Independent
mobility in relation to weekday and weekend physical activity in children aged
10–11 years: The PEACH Project. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 6: 1–9. doi:
35. Soloff C, Lawrence D, Misson S, Johnstone R (2006) Wave 1 weighting and
non-response: LSAC technical paper No. 3. Melbourne: Australian Institute of
36. Sipthorp M, Misson S (2009) Wave 3 weighting and non-response (LSAC
technical paper, No. 6). Melbourne: Australian Institute of Family Studies.
37. Department of Social Services (2014) Access to DSS Longitudinal Datasets.
Available: http://www.dss.gov. au/our-responsibili ties/families-and-children/
programs-services/access-to-dss-longitudinal-datasets. Accessed: 2014 March 6
38. de Vaus D (2002) Analyzing Social Science Data. London: Sage Publications.
39. United States Preventative Services Task Force (2010) Screening for obesity in
children and adolescents: US Preventive Services Task Force Recommendation
Statement. Pediatr. doi: 10.1542/peds.2009-2037
40. Cole TJ, Bellizzi MC, Flegal KM, Dietz WH (2000) Establishing a standard
definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international survey. BMJ
320: 1240. doi: 10.1136/bmj.320.7244.1240
41. Kessler RC, Andrews G, Colpe LJ, Hiripi E, Mrocrek DK, et al. (2002) Short
screening scales to monitor population prevalence and trends in non-specific
psychological distress. Psychol Med 32: 959–976. doi: 10.1017\S00332917 02006 074
42. Strazdins L, Shipley M, O’Brien LV, Broom DH (2010) Job quality and
inequality: Parents’ jobs and children’s emotional and behavioural difficulties.
Soc Sci Med 70: 2052–2060 doi: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2010.02.041
43. Hancock K, Mitrou F, Shipley M, Lawrence D, Zubrick S (2013) A three
generation study of the mental health relationships between grandparents,
parents and children. BMC Psychiatry 13: 299. doi:10.1186/1471-244X-13-299
44. Hedeker D, Gibbons RD, editors (2006) Longitudinal Data Analysis. Hoboken,
NJ: John Wiley & Sons Inc.
45. Tulloch MI (2004) Parental fear of crime: a discursive analysis. J Sociol 40: 362–
377 doi: 10.1177/1440783304048380
46. Cunningham SA, Kramer MR, Narayan KMV (2 014) Incidence of childhood
obesity in the United States. N Eng J Med 370: 403–411. doi: 10.1056/
47. Jones RA, Okely AD, Caputi P, Cliff DP (2010) Relationships between child,
parent and community characteristics and weight status among young children.
Int J Pediatr Obes 5: 256–264. doi: 10.3109/17477160903271971
48. Hafekost K, Lawrence D, Mitrou F, O’Sullivan TA, Zubrick SR (2013) Tackling
overweight and obesity: does the public health message match the science? BMC
Medicine 11. doi:10.1186/1741-7015-11-41
49. Lamb ME (2010) The Role of the Father in Child Development. 5 ed. Hoboken:
50. Craig L, Powel A, Smyth C (2014) Towards intensive parenting? Changes in the
composition and determinants of mothers’ and fathers’ time with children 1992–
2006. Brit J Sociol doi: 10.1111/1468-4446.12035
51. Brussoni M, Olsen LL, Creighton G, Oliffe JL (2013) Heterosexual gender
relations in and around childhood risk and safety. Qual Health Res 23: 1388–
1398. doi: 10.1177/1049732313505916.
Protective Parenting and Child Overweight and Obesity
PLOS ONE | www.plosone.org 12 June 2014 | Volume 9 | Issue 6 | e100686