BookPDF Available

The Essex County Smart Book: A Resource Guide for Going Home

A Resource Guide
for Going Home
“Your Head Start for a Fresh Start”
Prepared for the New Jersey Department of Corrections, the
New Jersey State Parole Board, the Division of Criminal
Justice and the New Jersey Department of Labor and
Workforce Development
Nancy Fishman, New Jersey Institute for Social Justice
Jeff Mellow, John Jay College of Criminal Justice
©2005. All rights reserved.
Revised 2008 by New Jersey Department of Corrections
Office of Transitional Services
Quick Reference:
Useful Numbers and Hotlines
American Friends Service Committee
Prisoners Resource Center . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1-973-643-2205
CDC National STD and AIDS Hotlines
Spanish: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ...1-800-344-7432
English: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1-800-227-8922
Addiction Hotline of NJ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1-800-238-2333
Alcoholics Anonymous. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1-800-245-1377
Division of Disability Services (DDS) . . . . . 1-888-285-3036
Division of Youth & Family Services . . . . . . 1-800-792-8610
Hyacinth AIDS Foundation . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1-800-433-0254
Legal Services of New Jersey
Toll-free Hotline,
Mon.– Fri., 9 am – 4:30 pm . . . . . . . . . 1-888-576-5529
Motor Vehicle Commission
Driver’s License Suspension Hotline . . . . . 1- 609-292-7500
Main Information ……………………………..1-888-486-3339
NJ Transit
For routes, schedules, & fares
6am to Midnight, daily . . . . . . . . . . . . ......1-800-772-2222
Narcotics Anonymous of NJ . . . . . . . . . . .... 1-800-992-0401
National Suicide Crisis Hotline . . . . . . . . . . .1-800-784-2433
New Jersey AIDS STD Hotline
(Beth Israel) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1-800-624-2377
Newark Emergency Services
for Families, Inc. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1-800-696-7063
Se habla español.
Parents Anonymous …………………………...1-800-843-5437
Newark One Stop Career Center
(also DVR). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1-973-648-3370
Social Security Office . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1-800-772-1213
Statewide Domestic Violence Hotline
(Womanspace, Inc.)
Bilingual and TTY accessible . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1-800-572-7233
UMDNJ - Sexual Assault Program. . . . . . . . .1-973-972-1325
(All 800 and 888 numbers are toll free.)
The Essex County
Smart Book
Table of Contents
First Things First:
How to Use this Book
Getting Started:
I.D. and Other Documents
A. Social Security Card
B. Birth Certificate
C. County I.D
D. Driver’s License
E. Non-driver’s State I.D.
F. Certificates of Naturalization or Citizenship
G. Alien Registration Card (“Green Card”)
H. Military Discharge Papers
I. Passport 7
J. High School Diploma/GED Certificate
K. Prison Release papers
First Steps After Release:
Where Do I Go to Find
A. First Stops
B. Shelter
C. Food
D. Clothing
E. Showers and Laundry
F. Transportation
G. Money
Taking Care of Yourself:
Getting Support
Taking Care of Yourself:
Health Care Resources
A. Health Care Benefits: Am I eligible?
B. General Health Care Providers
C. Services for People with HIV/AIDS
D. Services for People with Tuberculosis or Hepatitis
E. Dental Care
F. Substance Abuse Resources
G. Mental Health Services/Individual Counseling
H. Free Eyeglasses
Finding a Job: Employment
Assistance and Training Programs
A. Things to Know Before You Start Your Job Search
B. Help with Job Search and Job Training: Resources
C. Legal Restrictions on Employment and
Protections Against Discrimination
D. Benefits for Employers Who
Hire People with Criminal Records
E. Opening a Checking or Savings Account.
F. Public Libraries37
Reconnecting With Family
A. Family Counseling Resources
B. Child Custody and Visitation
C. Getting and Paying Child Support
D. Domestic Violence Resources
Getting More Education
A. GED classes
B. Higher Education
Other Things You Need to Know
A. Getting Legal Assistance
B. Checking and Correcting
Your Criminal Record (“rap sheet”)
C. Expungement: Cleaning Up Your
Criminal Record.
D. Checking and Correcting Your Credit Record
E. Voting Rights
F. Registration of Sexual Offenders (Megan’s Law)
The Game Plan
A Check List for Getting Started
Getting Ready to Apply for a Job
My Contacts and Phone Numbers
First Things First:
How to Use this Book
The purpose of this book is to help you get ready to
leave prison and return home, and to help you find the
things you need to get back on your feet once you’re
there. It is specifically focused on what you’ll need to
know during the first weeks and months that you’re back,
which can be a hard time of adjustment. This book will
not answer all of the questions you will face in preparing
for and adjusting to being back in the community, but it
can help you get started. It will also tell you where to go
to get more information. Unless a fee or charge is
listed, all of the services and resources listed here
are free.
Each section of this book gives you some general tips
and things you need to know, and provides addresses,
phone numbers and other information about different
programs and resources in Essex County. Things that
you can do to get a head start before you are released
are highlighted. Getting started early, before you get out,
may be one of the best things you can do for yourself to
make your first days home easier. In the back of this
book, you will find a “Game Plan for the first few
weeks, a chart to help you plan ahead. We have also
provided space where you can write down other useful
phone numbers and appointments.
You won’t find here every service or organization in
Essex County, but, again, it should give you a place to
start. The organizations that are listed can help refer you
to other places in the area that can be of help to you. For
more listings, and for up-to-date information about office
hours and changes in policies, you can go to the website
designed to help former prisoners in Essex County,
All of the public libraries listed on page 35 should be able
to provide you with free internet access
Getting Started:
Identification (I.D.) and Other
In order to get a job, apply for public benefits (such as
general assistance, food stamps or Medicaid) or other
programs, get job training or apply for an apartment, you
will need to have as many identification documents in
hand as possible. While many people lose these
documents when they are incarcerated, the good news
is that you can begin to collect them again before you
are released, by mail or with the help of your counselor.
Below is a list of different documents and how to get
Helpful tip: Save any envelopes from bills or official
mail. You might need these to prove your address.
A. Social Security Card
You can obtain a replacement card if you have a Social
Security number (even if you don’t remember what it is.)
Or you can get a new card by mail from prison, or can
get it after you are released by going to the social
security office.
The New Jersey Department of
Corrections has an agreement in place with the Social
Security Administration that allows inmates in the
release process to apply for a replacement Social
Security Card. This service is offered through the Social
Services Department of the Correctional Facility. The
application and card are free. Once approved the card
is sent to your correctional facility and will be issued to
you upon your release from custody. For more
information contact the Social Services Department at
your correctional facility.
You can also get the application by
phone or by mail, or by walking into the Essex County
Social Security Office at 970 Broad St. in Newark. The
form SS-5 can also be downloaded from the Social
Security website(
You can fill it out there and show proof of identification.
Prison release papers count as proof of
B. Birth certificate
The Office of Vital Statistics in the New Jersey
Department of Health and Senior Services has all New
Jersey birth, marriage, and death records. The fee is
You can write a letter requesting a birth
certificate, which must include the name at birth on the
certificate, the exact date of birth, the exact city and
municipality and county of birth, the full maiden name of
mother and the name of father, if his name is on the
certificate. You must include a photocopy of the
identification for the person requesting the record (which
may be you, but somebody else can request the birth
certificate for you — they just have to state in the letter
what their relationship to you is). Valid I.D. includes a
photo driver’s license or non-driver’s state identification
card, a photo I.D. and some other form of I.D. with an
address, or two alternate forms of I.D. with an address.
You can use a prison photo I.D. with documentation of
the address of the prison. Mail your request to: NJ Vital
Statistics —Customer Service Unit, P.O. Box 370,
Trenton, NJ 08625-0370. It should take 6 to 8 weeks. If
not received after 8 weeks please call 1-609-292-4087
and select option “status of current request”. For more
information and assistance contact the Social Services
Department at your correctional facility.
In addition to writing, you can go
directly to the Bureau of Vital Statistics on the first floor
of the Health and Agriculture Building in Trenton, on the
corner of Warren and Market Sts. In-person counter
service is from8:30 to 4:00 and you can usually get the
certificate on the same day. You will still have to have all
the information listed above. For more information, there
is also a website: You can
also usually obtain a birth certificate from the clerk’s
office in the city hall of the town where you were born.
C. County I.D.
Essex County no longer gives out county identification
cards, but if you are over 55, you can get a Senior
Citizen Courtesy Card from the Essex County
Clerk’s office (Hall of Records, Room 247,465 Dr.
Martin Luther King Blvd., Newark). You must show proof
of residence in Essex County (so you can only do this
after you are released), proof of age, and provide a
social security number.
D. Driver’s License
If you do not have a
driver’s license, you
will have to wait until
you get out to get
one, or to replace a
lost card or renew
an expired license,
unless you are in a
halfway house and
can go directly to the Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC).
If you think, or know, that your license has been
suspended, you should find out for sure before you get
out and figure out what you will have to do to get it back.
If you were convicted of any kind of drug offense, your
license will have been suspended.
Get a copy of your driver’s license
record, which is called an “abstract.” You will have to get
and send in a “driver history abstract request” form from
the Motor Vehicle Commission (the “MVC”). You can get
this form by calling1-888-486-3339, or by mail: Motor
Vehicle Commission, Abstract Unit, 225 East State St.,
P.O. Box 142, Trenton, NJ 08666-0142. Once you get
and fill out the form, you will have to send it back with
$10. The abstract will tell you whether your license is
suspended, and why. Depending on why it is
suspended, you may be able to address some of the
problems before you get out. For example, if your
license was suspended because you failed to show up
for a court date because you were incarcerated, you can
write to the court and try to clear this up by mail. If you
owe fines, you will probably not be able to pay these
before you get out, but you should try to find out how
much you owe, and to whom you owe them.
Once you are out, you can get a
certified driving abstract by visiting one of these Motor
Vehicle Commission offices in Newark, East Orange, or
Irvington, or a MVC Regional Office in Wayne or
You will still have to pay $10. If your license was
suspended for 6 months or more because of a drug
conviction, the period of the suspension will begin from
the time of your release. Other kinds of suspension,
such as for failure to pay parking tickets, insurance
surcharges, or child support, will last until you have paid
the fine or worked out a payment plan. For questions
Motor Vehicle Services
Auto Operator License
Your Name
City, State
about suspension, call the suspension hotline: 609-292-
Newark: 228 Frelinghuysen Ave.
Mon., Tues., Thurs., Fri. 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Wed. 8:00 am - 7:30 pm; Sat. 8:00 am - 12:00 pm
East Orange: 55 Washington St.
Mon., Tues., Wed., Fri. 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Thurs. 8:00 am - 7:30 pm; Sat. 8:00 am - 12:00 pm
Irvington: 10 Washington Ave.
Tues., Wed., Thurs., Fri. 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Mon. 8:00 am - 7:30 pm; Sat. 8:00 am - 12:00 pm
Regional Offices:
1578 Route 23 North
Wayne, 07470
Services: Driver conferences, driver records, (issuances and
inquiries), points and surcharge (inquiries), suspensions and
Hours: Mon, Tue, Thur, Fri 8 am – 4:30 pm, Wed 8 am-7:30 pm, Sat
8 am-12 pm
1205 Stockton and Front Street,
Trenton, NJ 08611
Services: Driver conferences, driver records, (issuances and
inquiries), points and surcharge (inquiries), suspensions and
Hours: Mon 8 am – 7:30 pm; Tue-Fri 8 am - 4:30pm; Sat 8 am – 12pm.
If all you need is to replace a lost or stolen license, you
will have to bring identification to the MVC and pay $11.
The MVC now has very specific kinds of I.D. that are
required: you will need to bring certain kinds of “primary”
I.D. (birth certificate, passport, citizenship papers, etc.)
and “secondary” I.D. (school records, marriage or
divorce certificates, employee. cards, old driver’s
licenses, etc.) and proof of your address. You can get a
brochure on this new “Six Point” system from the DMV
offices listed above, or from the Motor Vehicle
Commission website, If your
license has expired, you will have to go to the MVC to fill
out a renewal application, and bring I.D. You may have
to take at least the written test again. License renewal
costs$24. License reinstatement (after suspension)
costs $100.
E. Non-driver’s State I.D.
New Jersey provides a state photo identification card for
non-drivers. You can get this kind of official state I.D.
even if your driver’s license is currently suspended,
so this may be a good option for you if it looks like it will
take you a long time to get your license back. You will
still need to bring the kinds of identification documents
described above, under the new “Six Point” system.
F. Certificates of Naturalization or Citizenship
You will need this for employment if you are not a
citizen. In general, if you need to replace lost forms, you
can contact the US Citizenship & Immigration Service or
Application Support Centers to find out about
identification and fingerprint verifications. There is a fee
to process an application for replacement documents.
The National Customer Service Hotline is 800-375-5283.
Application Support Center
24 Commerce Ave.
Newark, NJ 07102
US Citizenship & Immigration Service
Peter Rodino, Jr. Federal Building
970 Broad St.
Newark, NJ 07102
G. Alien Registration Card (“Green Card”)
To replace a missing Green Card, you must go to the US
Citizenship & Immigration Service Office (see above),
bring identification, and fill out form, I-90 or you can go to
the website and download the forms It
costs $260 for processing. If you have any questions
or concerns about your status as a result of your
criminal conviction, call Legal Services of New
Jersey (at 1-888-576-5529) before going to
H. Military Discharge Papers
You can write to request a copy of your
records (discharge papers called a “DD214”) from the
Veterans Benefit Administration in New Jersey, at 20
Washington Pl., 3rd Floor, Newark, NJ 07102, or the
main records depository, NPRC, 9700 Page Ave., St.
Louis, MO 63132-5100. You can do this by letter, but it’s
better to use the official form, the SF-180, which you can
get by writing to either the local or national offices listed
above, or request from the local office by calling 800-
829-1000. For more information and assistance, contact
the Social Services Department at your correctional
In addition to requesting in writing, or
going to the office listed above, you can go to the
website and follow the on
screen instructions for requesting personnel records.
You will be asked to print out a signature page which
can either be mailed or faxed and after they receive the
form, the records will be mailed directly to you.
I. Passport
Although a passport may not seem like an important
thing to have at this point, it can serve as easier form of
widely accepted I.D. for you to have, although it does
cost money. If you do not have one, after you are
released, go to the Essex County Clerk’s Office,465
Martin Luther King Blvd. Room 245, in Newark,973-621-
4920. You will need to bring: an original or certified copy
of a birth certificate with a raised seal and file date
issued by Vital Statistics, a naturalization certificate, or a
previous US passport;(photocopies aren’t accepted).
You will also need to furnish a social security number,
and bring I.D., such as a valid driver’s license,
government identification or previous passport issued
after your 16th birthday. The expired passport should not
be more than 15 years old. However, if you do not have
those forms of I.D., you can bring with you an identifying
witness who has known you for at least 2 years and has
a valid driver’s license. In addition to this witness, you’ll
have to bring 3 other forms of I.D. You must bring 2
copies of a 2X2 face front photo. The cost is $97 for a
first time adult and $67 for renewal.
You may also obtain a passport at most US Postal
Services Offices.
J. High School Diploma/GED Certificate/High School
Equivalency Degree (HSED)/Vocational School
It is very important to have records of any degrees,
school completion certificates
or work-related licenses that
you may have. This will help you
get a job, and can also provide
additional identification if you need it. Before you are
released, you can write to the school or agency that
gave you your degree or certificate. Each of these will
have separate procedures. You should also get copies
of certificates for programs or classes completed while in
K. Prison Release Papers
Make sure you hold on to your prison release papers.
These can serve as identification in some
First Steps After Release:
Where Do I Go to Find…
The first days after you get out can be the toughest. This
section will give you information to help you get on your
feet: places to go for food, shelter, clothing, money, and
other emergency needs. While every agency in Essex
County isn’t listed, we’ve listed places to help you get
started, places that will work with people coming out of
prison. Here are some pointers for the first days out:
Put all your paperwork and identification
in one place, a folder or an envelope, and have it with
you, so you can answer questions that people ask.
Write down the full names and phone
numbers of people that you’ve talked to, and when you
spoke to them. You can use the blank pages in the back
of this book to take and keep notes. Keep copies of any
money orders or receipts for things you’ve paid for, and
any letters you’ve gotten from government agencies, the
courts, or organizations that are helping you.
You are probably going to have to wait in a
lot of lines for things, and be put on hold by telephone
operators. You will meet a lot of workers who are trying
to help a lot of people, not just you. Expect to wait.
Expect that you may be sent to different offices and
workers to get something taken care of. Try to be patient
and be polite — it will help.
Below you’ll find the names, addresses, phone numbers
and descriptions of agencies and services that can help
you. It is a good idea to call first to check that hours of
operation haven’t changed:
See the following pages for list of resources
A. First Stops
The agencies below provide either a range of services
and/or can refer you to other places, depending on what
you need.
2-1-1/First Call for Help
Dial 211
1-800-331-7272 (Homeless Hotline)
Hours: Mon-Fri 8:30am-4:30pm
Emergencies and homeless calls are 24 hours/7 days a week.
2-1-1 provides 24 hour comprehensive human service information and
referral for residents of Camden County. 211 can help you access
information as well as connect you to resources that are available to
you in the community. 2-1-1 is equipped for TTY callers and has a
language line that provides translation services for 140 different
Newark Emergency Services for Families (NESF)
982 Broad St., Newark
800-696-7063 (24 Hour Hotline)
Hours: Mon. - Thurs. 9:30 am - 4:30 pm
Fri. 1:00 pm - 4:30 pm
Bus lines: 24, 41, 13, 39
Provides emergency services, including food and clothing and 24 hour
referrals for shelter placements, through hotline. Will screen for other
assistance available, including health services and rental assistance.
Se habla español.
American Friends Service Committee (AFSC)
Prisoners Resource Center
972 Broad St., 6th Floor, Newark
Hours: Mon., Tues., Fri. 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Mon. - Fri. 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
(General Criminal Justice Program office hours; more limited hours for
Bus lines: 24, 40, 13, 29
Provides referrals to services and programs, information about
resources, and support groups for people coming out of prison.
B. Shelter
These are some of the places providing temporary
places to stay.
Lighthouse Community Services
487 Washington St., Newark
Hours: Open 7 days
Bus lines: 24, 13, 27
42 bed shelter for men, takes referrals from any agency. Space is
limited, so call first. Length of stay determined on a case by case
basis. Bring 2 forms of I.D. (can use prison release papers). Can bring
up to 4 bags and lockers are available for storage.
Project Solution
712 Springfield Ave., Newark
Hours: Open 7 days,
Lockout period from 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Bus lines: 25, 96, 90, 13, 99 ( transfer to 25)
81 bed shelter for men over 21, physically healthy and able to read,
referrals from any agency, DOC, or Parole. Provides 2meals per day.
Urban Renewal Corp.
224 Sussex Ave., Newark
Hours: Open 7 days
Bus lines: 99, 7
Shelter and multi-service agency for men and women over 18, referral
from any agency, DOC, or Parole. Must bring some form of I.D. Length
of stay varies depending on agency program involvement.
United Community Corporation
31 Fulton St., Newark
Hours: Open 7 days, 5 pm - 7 am
Bus lines: (unavailable)
30 day shelter with 46 beds for men, 18 for women, referrals or first
come, first served. Parolees must bring parole papers and name of
parole officer, otherwise bring I.D. (DOC I.D. or prison release papers
okay).No storage for belongings available.
Missionaries of Charity
60 Jay St., Newark
Hours: Open 7 days
Bus lines: 99, 7
Shelter for non-pregnant women over 18, referral preferred but not
necessary. Women can stay 3 weeks but then cannot return again for
6 months.
Isaiah House
238 North Munn Ave., East Orange
Hours: Open 7 days
Bus lines: 41
Shelter for single women and women with children, referral by city or
county welfare agencies, unless HIV+/person with AIDS regardless of
welfare status: contact extension 3009 to find out if you can otherwise
Apostle’s House
16-24 Grant St., Newark
Hours: Open 7 days, 9:30 curfew
Bus lines: 13, 24, 59 (for 24 & 59, get off at Broad St., transfer to 13),
39, 27
Shelter for women with children, referral preferred, from NESF,
welfare, or DYFS. Women can have a room with storage space for 2 to
3 months.
C. Food
There are three ways to get help with food: 1) public
benefits to help purchase food, 2) food pantries that
provide groceries, and 3) soup kitchens that provide hot
or prepared food. Food stamps and other public benefits
are discussed under the section in this book labeled
“Money”. Food pantries and soup kitchens are listed
Bethany Baptist Church
275 West Market, Newark
Hours: Mon. - Thurs. 11:00 am - 1:00 pm
Bus lines: 21, 34
Referral letter needed; can be from DOC or Parole. Must bring photo
I.D. One visit per 30 days.
First Hopewell Baptist Church
525 Orange St., Newark
Hours: Wed. 9:30 am - 12:00 pm
Bus lines: 34, 21
Need to bring proof of income, birth certificate and photo I.D. One visit
per 30 days.
Isaiah House
238 North Munn Ave., East Orange
Hours: Mon. - Fri. 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Bus lines: 41
Must have specific referral every visit, can be from any agency, clinic,
church, etc. One visit per month.3
Lighthouse Community Services
487 Washington St., Newark
Hours: Mon. - Fri. 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Bus lines: 65, 66, 70, 59
Must have referral for every visit, DOC or Parole referral accepted.
Salvation Army (3 locations)
45 Central Ave., Newark
Hours: Mon. - Fri. 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Bus lines: 24, 44
Bring prison release papers; picture I.D., proof of address. One visit
every 30 days, after 15th of the month.
699 Springfield Ave., Newark
Hours: Tues. - Fri. 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Bus lines: 25
No referral needed for first visit, but needed for next visits. Bring photo
I.D. and social security card. One visit every 60 days.
430 Main St., East Orange
Hours: Mon. - Fri. 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
Bus lines: 21
Must be resident of the Oranges and show proof of address (rent
receipt, utility bills, plus 2 forms of I.D.)and proof of any government
benefits received. One food package every 90 days.
St. Ann’s Church
103 16th Ave., Newark
Hours: Mon., Wed., Thurs. 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
Bus lines: 1
Referral required, listing name of individual and any dependents. One
visit every 30 days, after 15
of the month.
Missionaries of Charity
60 Jay St., Newark
Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri, Sat, Sun 9:30-10:30 am
Clinton Ave. Presbyterian Church
761 Clinton Ave., Newark
973-372-8408 Lunch
Wed - Lunch, Tue & Thur - Dinner
Roseville Presbyterian Church
36 Roseville Ave., Newark
Mon, Tue, Wed, Thur: 9 am -12 pm; Sat 11 am-1 pm
St. James RC Church
143 Madison St., Newark
Mon 11:00-12:30 pm, Tue 9 am-12:30pm
Fellowship Missionary Baptist Church
83 Elizabeth Ave., Newark
Wed & Fri 12pm (Sept. – June)
First Hopewell Baptist Church
525 Orange St., Newark
Sat 1-2 pm
St. James Social Service Corp.
604 MLK Blvd., Newark
Mon, Tue, Wed, Thur, Fri 1pm-2pm
Irvington Neighborhood
Improvement Corp.
346 Irvington Ave., Irvington
Mon, Tue, Wed, Thur, Fri 1pm-2pm
Lighthouse Community Services
487 Washington St., Newark
Mon, Tue, Wed, Thur, Fri, 12-1 pm
St. John’s RC
22 Mulberry St., Newark
Mon, Tue, Wed, Thur, Fri 8:30 am & 11:30 am
D. Clothing
The following places provide free or low-cost clothing.
Newark Emergency Services for Families (NESF)
982 Broad St., Newark
800-696-7063 (24 Hour Hotline)
Hours: Mon. - Thurs. 9:30 am - 4:30 pm
Fri. 1:00 pm - 4:30 pm
Bus lines: 24, 41, 13, 39
Free clothing bank on site, including work/professional clothing. Se
habla español.
East Orange/Orange Community Development Corp.
490 Main St., East Orange
Hours: Mon. - Fri. 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Bus lines: 94, 21
Free clothing and Thrift Store. Must have a referral and two forms of
I.D. and must live in East Orange, Orange or Montclair.
Irvington Neighborhood Improvement Corp.
346 16th Ave., Irvington
Hours: Mon. - Fri. 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Bus lines: 90
Free clothing, Irvington residents have priority, must bring proof of
E. Showers and Laundry
The following places provide free showers and laundry
Newark Emergency Services for Families (NESF)
982 Broad St., Newark
800-696-7063 (24 Hour Hotline)
Hours: Mon. - Thurs. 9:30 am - 4:30 pm
Fri. 1:00 pm - 4:30 pm
Bus lines: 24, 41, 13, 39
Multi-service agency provides showers and washing machines. No
referral needed.
Liberation in Truth
Open Door Drop-In Center
47-49 New St., Newark
Hours: Mon. - Fri. 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Bus lines: 13
Multi-service agency provides showers and washing machines. No
documents needed.
F. Transportation
There is no general program to provide
assistance paying for transportation.
Though NJ Transit no longer will accept release papers
in substitute for bus tickets, many correctional facilities
offer NJ Transit Bus tickets at a reduced rate.. Some of
the programs listed in this book will provide bus passes
or bus cards to help you participate in the program. If
you need that help, make sure you ask. For specific bus
line information contact NJ Transit: 800-772-2222
or If you click on the “trip
planner” section you can find out routes.
If you are going to drive places, remember that you
must have a valid driver’s license, and you must have
insurance for any vehicle that you are driving. New
Jersey now has a “Dollar-A-Day Car Insurance Program
for low-income individuals who receive Medicaid and
who want to insure a car registered in their name. It
costs $360 per year if you pay all at once and $365 if
you pay in installments. You cannot get this insurance if
your license or registration is revoked or suspended. For
more information contact: 800-652-
NJ Transit’s Access Link
Call between 8:30 am and 5:00 pm, Mon. - Fri.
NJ Transit’s Access Link paratransit service comparable to the local
bus service. This service is specifically for people whose disability
prevents them from using the local fixed route bus service. You must
call to be interviewed in person to determine your eligibility.
G. Money
Once you get out, you will need a source of income, at
least temporarily, until you can find a job. (see under
“Finding a Job” for information about looking for work).
The DOC does not provide any “gate money,” except
for any money you may have in your inmate
account. If it is possible to save any money before
you get out, you should try to do so. Parole can give
up to $300 in emergency funds, based on need, but it’s
at their discretion — ask your parole officer.
You may be able to get some
kind of public assistance
(“welfare”),but not everyone
qualifies. Here are the basics
of what you’ll need to know
about getting benefits.
provide cash benefits, GA for
single people and TANF for people who have their children
with them. Both programs will require you to work or be
actively looking for work and both have a five-year lifetime time
limit. Work First New Jersey also has an Emergency
Assistance program that you may qualify for if you are
homeless or at risk of becoming homeless. The Emergency
Assistance program can pay for things like food, clothing and
transportation costs to look for housing, but also temporary
rental or mortgage payment assistance and utility payments.
Newark or Irvington residents
18 Rector St., 9th Floor, Newark
Montclair, Bloomfield, Roseland, Verona, Orange,
Fairfield, and N. Caldwell residents
50 South Clinton St., 2nd Floor, East Orange
NOTE: If you were convicted of an offense involving
distribution or sale of drugs after August 22, 1996,
you cannot receive cash benefits under GA or TANF.
If you were convicted of an offense after that date
that only involved possession of drugs, you may be
able to get benefits if you completed or are enrolled
in a licensed drug treatment program, or completed
a program in prison and are drug free (you will have
to submit to drug testing).If you apply for welfare
and the case worker asks about your criminal
background, you should answer truthfully and to the
best of your knowledge. If you lie, you may be found
“ineligible” and could also be prosecuted.
provide a monthly sum to buy food. You
apply at the same place you apply for cash benefits. If
you were convicted after August 22, 1996of a drug
distribution or sales offense, you may still be able to get
Food Stamps if you have completed or are enrolled in a
licensed drug treatment program, or completed a
program in prison and are drug free (you will be tested).
Same goes for possession offenses.
If you were receiving veteran’s
benefits, either for disability or a pension, and you were
incarcerated for more than 60 days, you will have to get
reinstated after you are released. If you were not
receiving benefits and you are a veteran, you may be
eligible for benefits or for some of their other programs
and services, including healthcare. You can contact the
VA for questions about benefits at 800-827-1000; the
health benefit number is 877-222-VETS.The VA Benefit
Administration is located at 20 Washington Pl., 3rdFloor,
in Newark, 973-645-1441. Be aware that the VA takes
considerable time to make decisions. On average, it
can take 273 days to process a new application for
Food Coupon
You maybe eligible for
other cash benefits, including Supplemental Security
Income (SSI) disability benefits (if you are seriously
disabled and cannot work) and the Women’s, Infants,
Children (WIC) program, which gives food vouchers to
low-income parents. You can inquire about WIC at the
city and county welfare offices.
Taking Care of Yourself: Getting
Coming home and readjusting to living on the outside
can be tough, and there are places where you can get
some support from people who have been through it
already and know how the game is played. They can
help you get back on your feet. Below are a few places
to start. In addition, there are Narcotics Anonymous (NA)
and Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) support group meetings
all over Essex County. To find a meeting near you, call
800-245-1377 (for AA) or 800-992-0401 (for NA). For
other self-help group resources, call the New Jersey Self
Help Clearinghouse at 800-367-6274.
Taking Care of Yourself:
Health Care Resources
It is very important that you pay attention to
your health during the period after you are released, and
that you make sure you have a plan to get any
prescriptions that you need filled and see a doctor if you
have health conditions that need care. Also, stress and
changes in routine can make many health conditions
worse. Below, you’ll find information on paying for health
care and clinics and other resources in Essex County.
A. Health Care Benefits: Am I eligible?
In New Jersey, the Medicaid program provides
healthcare benefits for some low-income people. If you
gain custody of children under 18 when you are
released, you may qualify if you are single, or if the main
breadwinner in the household is unemployed, or isn’t
earning enough to support the family. Otherwise, if you
are single, you will only qualify for Medicaid if you are
low-income and are aged (meaning over 65), blind or so
disabled that you are unable to work. If you are disabled
and are applying for SSI, you will also be screened for
Medicaid at that time. If you qualify for General
Assistance benefits, you will get some very basic health
care benefits through Medicaid (“Plan G”). Medicaid is a
separate program from GA or TANF, so you don’t
have to be getting those benefits to qualify for
Medicaid. For questions about Medicaid eligibility, you
can call 1-800-356-1561. To apply for Medicaid in Essex
County, go to the Essex County Department of Citizen
Services, Division of Welfare, at18 Rector St., 9th Floor,
If you are a veteran, you may be eligible for health care
benefits through the Veteran’s Administration, which
provides a “Medical Benefits Package” for enrolled
veterans. You can call 877-222-VETS for more
information about eligibility and applying for benefits.
If you are HIV+ or have AIDS, you may also be eligible
for the AIDS Drug Distribution Program (ADDP),
which provides help paying for AIDS medication for
people who don’t have other ways of paying. You can
apply for this program before you are released. To
apply, contact the AIDS Drug Distribution Program at
1-609-588-7038 or toll free 1-877-613-4533, Mon-Fri
9am-5pm.You can also contact the Hyacinth AIDS
Foundation at155 Washington St., Newark, at 973-565-
0300or call the state’s hotline 877-613-4533. In Essex
County, you can also contact the Newark Planning
Council at 973-733-4402.
Easter Seals New Jersey provides information,
referrals and loans of medical equipment (including
wheelchairs) to people in need. For information call 732-
974-2180 or 732-974-1042.
B. General Health Care Providers
Even if you do not have Medicaid
or other health insurance or benefits,
Essex County has clinics that provide
primary health care at low cost, sliding
scale or for free. They are listed
below. Most hospitals have charity
care and you should ask about this if
you go to a hospital emergency room for treatment.
Broadway Health Center
741 Broadway, Newark
Hours: Mon. - Fri. 9:00 am - 5:00 p.m.
Bus lines: 13, 27
Dayton St. Health Center
101 Ludlow St., Newark
Hours: Mon. - Fri. 9:00 am - 5:00 p.m.
Bus lines: 41, 21
James White Manor
516 Bergen St., Newark
Hours: Mon., Tues., Thurs., Fri. 9:00 am - 1:00 pm;
Wed. 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Bus lines: 99, 72
All of these centers accept Medicaid and some insurance plans, but
also provide services on a sliding scale basis, additional fees for x-rays
and lab work. Primary and preventive care. Staff there can help you
apply for Medicaid or other benefits if you may be eligible.
973-621-9560 ext. 26
Multiple locations:
Special Care Clinic
110 William St., Newark
Mon. through Fri. 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Salvation Army
65 Pennington St., Newark
Tues. and Thurs. 4:30 pm - 7:30 pm
Harmony House
278 South Orange Ave., Newark
Mon. and Wed. 4:30 pm - 7:30 pm
79 University Ave., Newark
Tues., Wed., Thurs., and Fri. 4:40 pm - 7:30 pm
Urban Renewal
224 Sussex Ave., Newark
Mon. through Thurs. 4:30 pm - 7:30 pm
This project provides basic medical care services from different
locations around the city, for people who are homeless or at risk of
being homeless. No documents or fees are required. You can walk in
or make an appointment in advance. They do medical screening,
immunization, prescription services, and make referrals for substance
abuse and mental health services.
444 William St., East Orange
Hours: Mon., Wed. 9:00 am - 7:00 pm
Tues., Thurs., Fri. 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Bus lines: 21, 41
Accepts Medicaid and some insurance plans, but also provides
services on a sliding scale basis, additional fees for x-rays and lab
Family Health Center
832 Chancellor Ave., Irvington
Hours: Mon. - Fri. 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Offers a full range of preventive and medical care including pediatric
care, family medicine, obstetrics and gynecology, dental care, HIV
counseling and testing. Accepts Medicaid and some insurance plans,
but also provides services on a sliding scale basis; fees for x-rays and
lab work.
110 William St., Newark
Hours: Mon. - Fri. 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Thurs. 4:30 pm - 7:00 pm
Bus lines: 66, 5, 70, 13
Provides Diabetes/High Blood Pressure Screenings, Hepatitis
Screenings, PAP Smears, Asthma Services, Routine Blood work, Adult
Immunizations, Hearing and Vision Testing. Must be a Newark resident
and show proof of residency and proof of income. Fees are on a sliding
scale ($15 and up).
151 Washington St., Newark
Hours: Mon., Tues., Fri. 8:30 am - 4:00 pm
Wed., Thurs. 8:30 am - 7:00 pm
Bus lines: 13, 27, 25, 34, 39
Provides gynecological exams, pregnancy testing/counseling, STD
testing/counseling, emergency contraception. Sliding scale fees based
on income and family size, Medicaid accepted.
C. Services for People with HIV/AIDS
In addition to the clinics listed above, a number of places
in Essex County offer care and support services
specifically for people with HIV and AIDS.
Hyacinth AIDS Foundation
155 Washington St., Suite 206, Newark
Hotline: 800-433-0254
Hours: Mon. - Fri. 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Bus lines: 25, 34, 29, 39
The Hyacinth Foundation provides HIV testing and counseling, case
management, treatment advocacy, some financial support for housing
and utility payments, support groups, information about legal rights and
benefits, “buddy” services, and other help. Project Connect is a support
group for people released from prison who are HIV+ or have AIDS,
meets twice a month on the first and third Wednesday of each month,
from 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm.
393 Central Ave., Suite 301, Newark
Hours: Mon. - Fri. 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Bus lines: 24, 34, 21
Provides HIV care and treatment services, and testing. Support groups
meet from 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm: Men’s HIV Group (Tuesday), Double
Trouble (HIV and Substance Abuse) group (Wednesdays), and
Women’s HIV group (Fridays). A Gay and Lesbian Group meets from
5:30 - 7:30 pm, first and third Wednesdays of each month. Lunch or
dinner is provided at all meetings. Also help with transportation and
prescription assistance. Will assist in discharge planning for HIV+
inmates soon to be released back into the community who need to be
connected with medical and social services.
238 North Munn Ave., East Orange
Hours: Open 7 days
Bus lines: 41
Special Services at Isaiah House provides confidential HIV testing and
counseling, support groups, short term shelter and food assistance;
some rental and utility assistance is available for East Orange
residents only.
505 West Market St., Newark
Hours: Mon. - Fri. 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Bus lines: 24, 21
Provides case manager by appointment, home delivered meals,
educational workshops, support group (Mon., Tues., and Thurs. 1:30 to
3:00 pm), food pantry. Need to bring photo I.D. and referral.
Catholic Community Services
404 University Ave., Newark
Hours: Mon. - Fri. 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Bus lines: 24
Multiple services for people with HIV/AIDS: emergency housing,
counseling, family support, meals, recreational activities and
workshops, health, substance abuse, stress reduction. Transitional
housing for men only.
UMDNJ/65 Bergen St, Newark
1-800-624-2377 – 24 hours/7 days a week
The hotline gives referrals, general information, counseling, testing
locations and treatment information.
D. Services for People With Tuberculosis and
Hepatitis C
In addition to the general medical care facilities listed
above, there are a few services especially for people
with tuberculosis and hepatitis C.
268 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Newark
Appointments 973-877-5080
Hours: Call for appointment
Bus lines: 99, 72, 76, 24
Provides therapy and case supervision for people with active/high risk
tuberculosis. Also a clinic for people with hepatitis C, but with a very
long waiting list, need referral and an appointment.
HCV Anonymous-Alanon Association
384 7th Ave., Newark
Hours: Wed. 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
Bus lines: 96, 34
Meets every Wednesday from 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm.
E. Dental Care
Most of the locations listed
below don’t provide free
care, but do have a sliding scale for those without
insurance. Waiting lists can be long.
Bay & Highland Aves., Montclair
Hours: Call before coming
Bus lines: 72, 93
Anyone with insurance or ability to pay is eligible, fees on a sliding
scale available.
741 Broadway, 973-483-1300
101 Ludlow St., 973-565-0355
516 Bergen St., 973-648-0866
Anyone with insurance or ability to pay is eligible, fees on a sliding
scale available.
110 William St., Newark
Only serves Newark residents, must show proof, sliding scale fees,
$15 and up.
150 Bergen St., Newark
Hours: Call for appointment
Bus lines: 21, 34
Anyone with insurance or ability to pay is eligible, fees on a sliding
scale available., some charity care (free).
F. Substance Abuse Resources
Getting clean and staying clean if you’ve got a problem
with alcohol or drugs will be a major task for you if you
want to stay out of trouble. Many of the health clinics,
support centers and other resources listed in this guide
can help refer you to treatment that most fits your needs.
Listed below are some of Essex County’s treatment
resources and each of these will also help with referrals
if they can’t help you. If you want treatment, you should
also ask your parole officer for help — beds in treatment
facilities are hard to come by, and they can help get you
in. Also, you can call the Division of Addiction Services
hotline at 800-238-2333.
St. Michael’s Medical Center
268 Martin Luther King Blvd., Newark
Hours: 7 days, call first.
Bus lines: 99, 72, 76, 24
Voluntary In-patient detoxification unit
Ambulatory Detoxification Program
Catholic Community Services
1160 Raymond Blvd., Newark
Hours: 7 days 9:00 am - 9:00 pm
Bus line: 13, 27, 24
Outpatient detoxification program.
Strathmore Treatment
57-59 New St., Irvington
Hours: Mon. - Fri. 6:00 am - 10:30 am
4:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Bus lines: 70, 25
Methadone maintenance and detoxification center. No referral or
appointment required. Need photo I.D. Admissions every Mon., Tues.,
and Fri. evenings.
Cost $148.
Integrity House
97-99 Lincoln Park, Newark
Bus lines: 24, 13, 27, 62, 40, 39, 70, 41
Provides outpatient and residential substance abuse treatment and
social services for adults, inmates (as a halfway house), adolescents,
and their families. Makes referrals to other agencies and treatment
programs. Multiple sites.
CURA, Inc.
75 Lincoln Park, Newark
Hours: Mon. - Fri. 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Bus lines: 13, 27
Treatment and rehabilitation for Spanish speaking individuals, drug
and/or alcohol abuse. Adult long and short term residential programs,
outpatient program, adolescent residential program, residential
program for women with children, and for those with HIV/AIDS .Se
habla español.
Newark Renaissance House
62–80 Norfolk St., Newark
Hours: Mon. - Fri. 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Bus lines: 24
Has intensive outpatient program for women, including pregnant
women and women with children, with daycare provided for young
infants and young children.
Turning Point, Inc.
125 Fairview Ave., Building 14, Cedar Grove
Hours: Mon. - Fri. 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Residential treatment for alcoholism and drug dependency. Call for
admission information. Also has an outreach program in Newark.
East Orange Substance Abuse Treatment Program
160 Halsted St., 1st Floor, East Orange
Hours: Mon. - Fri. 6:30 am - 4:30 pm
Bus lines: 24
Outpatient alcohol and drug treatment, HIV testing, counseling, and
other services.
The Bridge, Inc
1065 Clinton Ave., Irvington
Hours: Mon. - Fri. 8:30 am - 9:00 pm
Bus lines: 25
Intensive outpatient counseling for alcohol and drug addiction.
Chemical Dependency Intensive Outpatient Program
(IOP) Atlantic Behavior Health Access Dept. —
Mountainside Hospital
1 Bay Ave., Montclair
Hours: Mon. - Fri. 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Counseling available Mon., Weds., Thurs., 6:00 - 9:30 pm Outpatient
treatment for substance abuse.
G. Mental Health Services/ Individual Counseling
While the medical care and drug treatment facilities
listed in this booklet may be able to assist you with
medication for mental health issues, and some
counseling as well, there are also places to go to get
counseling and therapy and other mental health
services. Some of these services require Medicaid or
other insurance, but some will also have sliding scale
215 South Orange Ave., Newark
Hours: Mon - Fri 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Bus lines: 21, 34, 31, 99
Individual and family counseling. Sliding scale fees, from $25 to $12 0
per session. Appointment required— call first.
100 Madison Ave., Morristown
Outpatient treatment for substance abuse. In order to receive
outpatient service from this facility, first the patient must call 888-247-
1400 to make an appointment to be evaluated.
29 Park St., Bloomfield
Crisis line: 973-266-4480
Hours: Mon. and Thurs.,1:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Tues., Weds., Fri. 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Outpatient mental health counseling for individuals, couples and
families. Appointment required.
277 Coit St., Irvington
Hours: Mon. - Fri. 8:30 am - 7:30 pm
Bus lines: 39, 90, 26
Individual mental health counseling and substance abuse treatment.
Adult and child psychiatric day treatment. Also outpatient alcohol and
substance abuse counseling/treatment. Accept most insurance and
Medicaid, sliding scale fees for others. Call for an appointment.
Community Mental Health Center
210 Lehigh Ave., Newark, NJ 07112
Hotline: 973-926-7444
Emergency mental health treatment, medication, individual counseling
24 hours/7 days per week.
104 Bloomfield Ave., Montclair
Hours: Mon. - Wed., Fri. 9:00 am - 8:00 pm
Bus lines: 34, 28, 29, 11
Individual mental health and substance abuse treatment and
counseling, anger management, parenting workshops. Accepts
Medicaid, sliding scale fees for others.
300 Central Ave., East Orange
Hours: 24 hrs. a day 7 days a week
Bus lines: 24, 44
24 hour crisis hotline and emergency psychiatric services for families.
Appointment required for non-emergency services.
24 Commerce St., Suite 624–626, Newark
Hours: call for appointment
Bus lines: 13, 24, 27, 31, 34, 39
Sex offender therapy. Referral by parole. $150 fee.
408 Bloomfield Ave., Newark
Hours: Mon. - Fri. 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Bus lines: 11, 28, 29, 72
Residential, rehabilitation, vocational and support services to adults
from Essex County who have a serious and persistent mental illness.
Residential services include 24-hour-supervised to more independent
1160 Raymond Blvd., Newark
Hours: Mon. - Fri. 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Bus lines: 24
Offers outpatient psychotherapy (including family, individual and
group), assessment information and referral, educational support
services, inpatient psychiatric services and substance abuse
treatment, children’s case management, day treatment services.
H. Free/Low Cost Eyeglasses/Eye care
549 Millburn Ave., Short Hills, NJ 07078
Hours: Mon. - Thurs., 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Fri. 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Provides vouchers to receive prescription glasses. Call the above
number and ask for an application to fill out. If you qualify, they will
send a voucher that can be used to pay for glasses in your community
Finding a Job: Employment
Assistance and Training
Getting a job is usually one of the most important things
people need to do when they get out of prison. You need
money coming in to support yourself and help your
family and you want to get on with your life and do
something productive. Not everyone can get to work
right away — sometimes things like getting drug
treatment, dealing with your housing, health or family
situation may come first. For most people, though,
finding work is the first step to getting back on your feet.
It will be very challenging to get a job once you have
been in prison, but it is not impossible, and you need to
be persistent and patient. Below are some pointers on
job searching, and information about resources that can
help you find a job or get training for the job you want.
A. Things to Know Before You Start Your Job
Have all your documents in order—
I.D., school diplomas and training certificates. If you do
not have a resume, make sure you have a list of any
work experiences you’ve had, and schools and training
programs you’ve completed, with names and addresses,
so you can fill out applications. Figure out who your
references will be and have their information handy: a
former employer, a pastor or priest, a teacher or coach,
somebody who knows you and can speak well of you.
Look as neat, clean and
organized as possible, no matter what the job is. Be
polite and respectful, even when people are not polite
and respectful to you, and many won’t be. Making the
person you want to help you or hire you mad won’t get
you the job you want.
If you are asked about your criminal record, you should
not lie. If you do, and you are later found out, you’ll
probably be fired for the lying, even if the record wasn’t
going to be a problem. It is easy for employers to
perform criminal background checks, and many do.
Before you apply for a job, think about what you will say
when you are asked about your criminal background:
you can be up front, but still stress what your strengths
are, what you have to offer, what you have learned from
your experience. Practice with a friend. While it is
important to be honest, you should only answer the
interview or application questions that you are asked. If
you are asked, for example, about any felony convictions
during the past 7 years, you don’t have to volunteer
information about misdemeanors, arrests that did not
lead to convictions or convictions from more than seven
years ago. But, if you are going to have to workaround
appointments with your parole officer, or other
requirements of parole, keep in mind that you will have
to work this out with your employer, which means telling
him or her that you are on parole, even if you are not
When you are first starting out, especially if you’ve been
out of the job market for a while, or have never had a
job, you need to build a work history, and, of course, you
need to make some money. Take whatever job you can
get for now — it doesn’t have to be the exact job you
want, or what you eventually want to be doing. Do this
job well —even if it’s not a great job —and it can help
you get a better one in the future. A year of good job
performance will make your criminal record matter less.
B. Help with Job Search
and Job Training:
The following are good places to start when looking for a
(Mayor’s Office of Employment and Training and
Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR))
990 Broad St., Newark
Hours: Mon. - Fri. 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Bus lines: 24, 13, 27
This facility has offices of the major state and city agencies that link
people with jobs and training. Job listings, placement in job training
classes, counseling for men and women who have been out of the job
market. Office has individual assigned to working with people coming
out of prison. DVR has vocational rehabilitation services for those with
a physical, emotional or mental disability. Bring I.D., prison release
papers, some proof of address. If applying for vocational rehabilitation
services, must have some documentation of disability.
990 Broad St., Newark
Hours: Mon - Fri. 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Bus lines: 24, 13, 27
50 S. Clinton St., 5th Floor, East Orange
Hours: Mon, Wed. and Fri. 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Bus lines: 23, 24
57 Park St. 2nd Floor, Bloomfield
Hours: Mon - Fri. 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Bus lines: 28, 29, 11
755 Frelinghuysen Ave., Newark
Hours: Mon., Wed., Fri. 10:00 am - 2:00 pm;
Fri. 6:00 - 9:00 pm
Bus lines: 107
Multi-service center set up by the State Parole Board, serving parolees
and others in the South Ward. There is a One Stop Career Center
specifically directed to individuals with criminal records, adult and
young adult computer literacy classes, workshops on issues like
driver’s license suspension, expungement, child support and no-fault
Workforce Development Center
201 Bergen St., Newark
Hours: Mon. - Fri. 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Bus lines: 31, 99
Provides specialized, intensive training in various occupations —
Medical Training: Home health aide, C.N.A. Medical Assistance,
Medical Billing Specialist; GED Preparatory; Automotive Technician;
Personal Computer Office Specialist; Cisco Networking. Must be
Newark resident and have a GED/diploma (unless you’re taking the
class there). Scholarships and some tuition coverage from financial aid
if you qualify.
391 Lakeside Ave., Orange
Hours: Mon. - Fri. 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Bus lines: 41
Multi-service agency providing vocational rehabilitation, job training
and job placement services in a range of occupations, including
commercial driving and repair, janitorial services, food service,
recycling. Agency also runs multiple businesses which employ
individuals, including those with criminal records and those living in
halfway houses.
39 Broadway, Newark
Hours: Mon., Thurs., Fri. 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Tues. - Wed. 9:00 am - 8:00 pm
Bus lines: 13, 11, 23, 27, 72, 92
Multi-service agency offers classes in job search techniques and
hands-on practice in using One Stop computers to access internet job
and resume banks, directories of training opportunities, etc. Job
readiness and job placement assistance, literacy, ESL and GED
classes. Also has credit union and provides financial literacy classes.
Se habla español.
31 Evan Terminal Road, Hillside
Hours: Call for information
Bus lines: (unavailable)
Food bank serving food pantries and soup kitchens in New Jersey,
hires former prisoners. Also has foodservice industry training program,
provides training in food preparation and service.
Workforce Development
321 Central Ave., Newark973-268-3160
Hours: Mon. - Fri. 9:00 am - 4:30 pm
Bus lines: 24, 44, 99
Offers range of job training programs for adults. Must have referral
from One Stop Career Center or from welfare office.
341 Roseville Ave., Newark
Hours: Mon. - Fri. 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Bus lines: 11, 28, 29, 34
Provides training programs, including food service, ESL and Adult
basic education, GED classes.
303 University Ave., Newark
Hours: Mon - Fri. 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Bus lines: 1, 21, 25, 34, 29, 66
Career services primarily for women. Provides job preparation,
computer training, counseling, domestic violence services. Support for
women in nontraditional careers. Parenting classes for men and
C. Legal Restrictions on Employment and
Protections Against Discrimination
If you are interested in getting a job and building a
career in a particular area, you should make sure that it
isn’t one that is forbidden to someone with the kind of
criminal conviction that you have on your record. There
are about 22 categories of jobs in New Jersey that
exclude people with convictions (which conviction it is
varies by job). These include: aircraft/ airport employees;
paid public school employees, school bus drivers and
school crossing guards; bank employees; bartenders
and waiters in establishments where liquor is served;
housing authority and municipal police and parking
enforcement officers; New Jersey Turnpike Authority
employees; liquor retail, wholesale manufacturing or
distributing employees; paid firefighters; child care
center employees; community residences for individuals
with developmental disabilities. A much larger number of
jobs require that you disclose your criminal record, and
that employers perform background checks; some of
these, however, also require that employers consider
evidence of rehabilitation. These include most jobs in the
healthcare and counseling fields (including drug and
alcohol counseling) and social workers. If you are going
to begin training in a particular field, make sure you find
out from the training course whether there are any
restrictions that will keep you from getting a job.
If you are not absolutely barred from a position because
of your conviction, New Jersey law says that you cannot
be denied a professional license simply because of your
conviction unless the crime for which you were convicted
relates to the occupation you want to enter. If the
licensing board or agency wants to deny you a license
because the crime is related to the occupation, they
have to explain, in writing, that they have considered
certain factors like the seriousness of the crime, the
circumstances of the crime, the date and your age when
convicted, whether the crime was an isolated or
repeated event, social conditions, and evidence of
rehabilitation. You can ask your parole officer about
applying for “certificate of rehabilitation,” which can be
used in your license application.
D. Benefits for Employers Who Hire People With
Criminal Records
As you look for a job you can tell employers that the
federal government has programs to support employers
who hire people coming out of prison.
An employer who hires people with criminal records is
eligible to receive a Work Opportunity Tax Credit, a
small rebate on their federal taxes. For more information
you or the employer can callssi1-800-792-888 or1-609-
292-8112, or go to the internet at
The Federal Bonding program provides bonding or
“insurance coverage” for employers who hire individuals
with criminal histories who are otherwise qualified but
cannot get jobs due to their backgrounds. You can get
information about this program from the New Jersey
Department of Labor, Division of Employment and
Training Services at 1-609-777-3203.
E. Opening a Checking or
Savings Account
After you’ve gotten a source of income, you may want to
open a checking or savings account. A checking account
is a great idea because many jobs provide direct
deposit, and your check is automatically deposited into
your account on payday. Using checks to pay for your
bills is also cheaper than using money orders. To open a
checking account you usually need a picture I.D.
(driver’s license or non-driver state I.D.),proof of
address, birth certificate, and a social security card. You
can also request a debit card with your account, which
you can use just like a credit card already.) You can get
a debit card for either a checking account, or a savings
account, but with a savings account you can earn
interest on the money you’ve saved. Fees for these
accounts will vary depending on the type of account and
bank. Many banks now offer free checking.
F. Public Libraries
Your local public library can be a good
resource for your job search. Public
computers provide internet access (and help using the
computer), job and course listings, and other local
directories. Libraries also often carry the government
forms mentioned in this guide, and librarians can help
you find other information that you need.
Bloomfield Township Free Public Library
90 Broad St.
Newark Public Library
5 Washington St.
East Orange Public Library
21 South Arlington Ave.
Irvington Public Library
346 16th Ave.
Montclair Free Public Library
50 South Fullerton Ave
Orange City Public Library
348 Main St.
New Jersey…
Guide To…
How to…
Directory …
Reconnecting with Family
As you prepare to come home, you may be
thinking about reuniting with family members,
including those you may not have seen for a
long time. You may be excited to see your kids, your
spouse, your parents, and others who are part of your
family, and they maybe glad to see you home, but your
return can be stressful for you and for them. All kinds of
issues can come up, and you may need some help
solving some of the problems that arise. This section
provides some information and resources to help solve
these issues.
A. Family Counseling Resources
The following places can provide support, marital and
family counseling and parenting classes to help you
reunite with your family.
393 Central Ave., Newark
973-412-2056 (to make an appointment)
Hours: Mon. - Thurs. 9:00 am - 9:00 pm
Fri. 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Bus lines: 24
Offers mental health services, counseling, crisis intervention, and
substance abuse services. Family Service Counseling includes couple,
family and group therapy to assist with problems including marital
conflict, stress and anger management, parent-child conflict, child
abuse and neglect, child sexual abuse, at-risk youth, domestic
violence, post-traumatic stress, depression and anxiety. Referrals are
accepted from other community providers as well as from the New
Jersey Division of Youth and Family Service and Family and Criminal
303 Washington St.
3rd Floor, Newark
Hours: Mon. - Fri. 8:30 am - 5:30 pm.
Bus lines: 34, 1, 21, 25
Offers various workshops and activities to enhance the skills of parents
and provides specific programs that enable fathers to take an active
role in the lives of their children and family.
284 Broadway, Newark
973-482-8411 (Mon. - Fri. 9 am - 5 pm),
all other times call 973-497-4735
Hours: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Bus lines: 13
Serves families from the East and North Wards of Newark. May be
self-referred or be referred by various governmental or community
agencies, including the school system, police department, DYFS,
hospitals, or family court. Family Crisis Intervention program serves
children and families in crisis from the North and East Wards of
Newark. Provide short-term family crisis intervention and counseling.
395 So. Center St., Orange
Hours: Mon. - Thurs. 9:00 am - 8:00 pm
Fri. - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Bus lines: 24
Provides therapeutic services for youth and their families.
204 Claremont Ave., Montclair
Hours: Mon. - Thurs. 9:00 am - 9:00 pm
29 Park St., Bloomfield
Hours: Fri. 9:00 am - 5:00 pm.
Social services organization specializing in services for families. Crisis
intervention, plus workshops, support groups, childcare, mentoring,
and referral information to help keep families healthy and together.
8 Marcella Ave., West Orange
Hours: Mon. - Fri. 9:00 am - 8:00 pm
Bus lines: 71 drops you off on Prospect Ave.
Outpatient mental health counseling for individuals, couples and
76 South Orange Ave., East Orange
Hours: Mon. - Fri. 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Bus lines: 92, 31
Offers programs which support incarcerated and/or released parents in
strengthening relationships with their children: effective parent-child
communication skills, ideas for home and community activities that
build family bonds, strategies for effective involvement in child’s
educational growth and school related issues and the, parent-child
literacy program.
42 Chestnut St.
East Orange
800-843-5437 (24 hour hotline)
Hours: Call to confirm group times at different locations
Group Locations
Choices, Inc.
169 Roseville Ave., Newark
Group hours: Mon., Tues., Fri. - 6:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Thurs. 1:00 - 2:30 pm
Bus lines: 34, 96
Provides an on-going, weekly group where parents and their children
come together to learn new skills, transform their attitudes and
behaviors, and create long term positive changes in their lives. Child
care available.
B. Child Custody and Visitation
Establishing visitation and gaining custody
of your children once you are released is
not an overnight procedure. If you had custody
of your kids at the time you were incarcerated,
and no family was able to take care of them, they may
have been placed in foster care. If this is the case, and
you do not know your child’s case manager’s name or
number, contact the Division of Youth and Family
Services (DYFS), at973-648-7275, or 1-800-531-1091.
You will have to make an appointment with the case
manager for an interview. They may not be willing to
give you information over the phone. You’ll be asked a
series of questions in order to assess when and if you
will be given visitation rights, so that you may reestablish
your relationship with the child
and hopefully gain custody again. This is just a quick
overview of what to do and what you can expect.
Call DYFS and ask to speak to your child’s case
manager. For example “Hi, my name is___________. I
have recently been released from prison. My
child_________ has been under foster care while I have
been incarcerated. I would like to speak to the case
manager so that I can make an appointment with him or
her.” Make an appointment.
Be sure to make it to the appointment on time, and call if
you are running late or need to reschedule. Bring paper
and pencil to write down any information the case
manager gives you. This is your chance to ask
questions so take advantage of it!!
Be prepared to talk about your criminal background, and
any problems that you may have such as alcohol or
drugs. The case manager can ask you if you have a
place to live and other personal questions in order to
assess whether you are eligible to establish visitation
with your child. If you can, ask a friend or relative to help
you practice answering these kinds of questions. Make
sure to pay attention to what the case manager says and
ask about anything that you do not understand. The
impression you make in the interview is important. If you
feel yourself getting angry, ask for a cup of water, and
take an extra breath to cool down. Answer questions
honestly, even about things like substance abuse,
because the case manager may be able to assist with
getting into treatment or with other help you may need.
The best way to help your child is to help yourself first.
Make sure you leave the office with any or all documents
that the case manager gave you regarding your child,
and remember to ask for a business card from the case
manager, in case you have questions later on.
If you were convicted of any violent or sexual
offenses against children, you may be unable to live
with or regain custody of your children.
C. Getting and Paying Child Support
Whether you have custody of your children on your own
when you get out, and need help from an absent
(“noncustodial”) parent, or you do not have custody of
kids who need your support, child support payments will
be an important part of your life after you are released.
Some basic information is included below, as well as
other places to go to get more information. Child
support, custody and visitation issues are very
complicated, and if you can get a lawyer, you
should. Contact the Legal Services of New Jersey
hotline, from 9:00 am - 4:30 pm, at 888-576-5529, or the
Essex County Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service
973-622-7753.You can also contact Essex-Newark
Legal Services, at 5 Commerce St., 2nd Floor,
Newark,973-824-3000, or the Essex County Legal Aid
Association, Hall of Records, Room 118, 465 Dr. MLK
Blvd., Newark, 973-622-0063. The Prisoner’s Self Help
Legal Clinic is another resource however this agency is
only accessible on the web at
If you have custody of your children, and want financial
support from the noncustodial parent, you can apply for
child support at the Essex County Court Family Division,
at 212 Washington St., 10thFloor, Newark, 973-693-
6667. There is a one time$6 fee. You can also call 1-
877-NJKIDS1 for more information about this. If you are
receiving public assistance, there is no fee, and Work
First New Jersey TANF can help with the application,
locating the absent parent, and paternity testing, but you
will also not get most of the money paid in support while
you are receiving public assistance, because it will go to
pay back the state for what has been paid to you. The
Child Support Enforcement Division of County Probation,
which helps enforce child support orders, is located on
the 11th floor of 212 Washington St. The phone number
is 973-693-5600.
If you have kids that you did not have custody of before
you went to prison, there may be a child support order
requiring you to pay a certain amount every month for
their support. Even if you did not go to court — if, for
example, the parent with custody filed for the order while
you were incarcerated — the court can still order you to
pay child support. The amount you pay in child support
is tied to your income, and if the court does not know
your income, they will assume you are working 40 hours
a week at minimum wage. Child support payments are
usually taken out of your paycheck. If you have not paid
at all or missed payments, you will owe “arrears.” Unless
you got a modification of your child support order when
you went into prison (see below), the amount of arrears
that you owe will have continued to grow while you were
inside. When you come out, and get a job, they can
begin to take out not just the monthly amount you owe
for child support, but more money to pay back the
arrears (up to 65% of your pay in total). They may also
suspend your driver’s license. Here are some things you
can do:
Before you are released, you can seek
a modification of a child support order, based on your
change in circumstances (incarceration). You would be
asking the court to reduce the amount you owe, so that
arrears do not continue to build up while you are in
prison. This process can be done without a lawyer but it
is complicated, because you have to fill out and send the
appropriate papers to court, the other parent or his or
her lawyer, and to the Probation Division. The forms you
need and the instructions are available at the state
judiciary website: www. judiciary. state. nj. Us/ prose
/infm. pim.pdf, or may be available in your prison law
You can find out how much you owe,
and whether there is an existing child support order by
going to the Family Division at the Essex County Court,
212 Washington St., 10th Floor, Newark. If you have not
been paying child support, you should be aware that
there may be a warrant issued for your arrest — this
may have been addressed at the time you were being
released, but you should still call before you go there:
973-693-6667. Tell them who you are, that you have just
been released from prison and want to find out about
how to pay your child support, and ask if there is a
warrant. You can ask if they will “recall” the warrant so
that you can come in, possibly work out a payment plan,
and get a modification of the child support order.
D. Domestic Violence Resources
The following places provide counseling, support and
shelter or referrals to shelter in domestic violence
situations. You can also call the 24 hour hotline from the
New Jersey Coalition for Battered Women: 1-800-572-
P.O Box 1887
Bloomfield, NJ 07003
973-759-2154 (hotline)
21-29 Wagner Pl., Irvington
Hours: Mon., Tues., Wed. 9:00 am - 9:00 pm
Thurs. - Fri. 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Domestic violence counseling for individuals, couples, families and
groups, Support groups, Batterer group counseling.
23 Broadway, Newark
Hours: Call for appointment
Bus lines: 13, 11, 23, 27, 72, 92
Crisis intervention program assists women in need of counseling,
guidance, shelter and support to escape abusive spouses and violent
environments. Individual, group and family counseling. Se habla
755 South Orange Ave., Newark
973-484-4446 (24 hour hotline)
The Family Violence Program Hotline is 24 hours a day.
Getting More Education
Although getting more education may not be part of your
short term plans, it certainly should be something to
think about for the future, especially if you do not have a
high school diploma or a GED. Your chances of getting a
job that pays a living wage, and of moving forward in a
career will improve with more education, and not having
the high school diploma or GED will simply lock you out
from a lot of opportunities.
A. GED Classes
The places in Essex County below offer classes to help
you prepare for the GED exam. Call for exact times and
procedures. Many locations offer classes at low cost or
no cost.
Bernie Edmondson Community Education Center
74 Halstead St., East Orange
Caribbean Haitian Council
26 Ashland Ave., East Orange
Montclair Neighborhood Development Corporation
228 Bloomfield Ave., Montclair
Ad House, Inc.
13 Clinton Pl., Newark
390 Broad St., Newark
Community Agencies Corporation of NJ
25 James St., Newark
Essex County College
303 University Ave., Newark
Essex County Division of Employment and Training
545 Maple Ave., Newark
Essex County Vocational & Technical High School
300 North 13th St., Newark
Friendly Fuld Neighborhood Center
165 Court St., Newark
International Youth Organization
703 South 12th St., Newark
Ironbound Community Corporation
432 Lafayette St., Newark
La Casa De Don Pedro
39 Broadway, Newark
Literacy Volunteers of America
303 University Ave., Newark
New Community Corporation
201 Bergen St., Newark
Newark Board of Education
Newark Business Training Institute
346 Mt. Prospect Ave., Newark
One Stop Career Center
990 Broad St., Newark
Urban Renewal Corporation
224 Sussex Ave., Newark
West Side High School
403 South Orange Ave., Newark
B. Higher Education
If you already have a high school diploma or a GED
certificate, you may want to move forward and get your
associate’s degree, bachelor’s degree or graduate
degree. Below are phone numbers for Essex County.
Bloomfield College, Bloomfield
973-748-9000 ext. 230
Caldwell College, Caldwell
Essex County College, Newark
Gibbs College, Livingston
Harrison Institute, South Orange
Montclair State University, Upper Montclair
ew Jersey Institute of Technology, Newark
Rutgers–Newark, Newark
Seton Hall University, South Orange
To pay for this, you will probably try to get some financial
aid. If you are applying for any federal financial aid
programs after release (such as Pell Grants, Perkins
Loans, Federal Family Education Loans, etc.), you are
not restricted unless you have a drug-related offense.
For possession offenses, a first offense means one year
  
of ineligibility (after your conviction), a second offense,
two years, and third offense means you are “indefinitely”
ineligible, which to the government means permanently
ineligible. For a sales or distribution crime, a first offense
has two years of ineligibility; a second offense makes it
permanent. Private financial aid or loan programs may
not have any restrictions.
Other Things You Need to Know
A. Getting Legal Assistance
To get assistance with civil (not criminal) cases, you can
contact the toll free hotline for Legal Services of New
Jersey (LSNJ), which provides both information and
referrals, 888-576-5529.You can also contact Essex-
Newark Legal Services, at 5 Commerce St., 2nd Floor,
Newark,973-824-3000, or the Essex County Legal Aid
Association, Hall of Records, Room 118, 465 Dr. MLK
Blvd, Newark, 973-622-0063. The Prisoner’s Self Help
Legal Clinic is another resource however this agency is
only accessible on the web at
B. Checking and Correcting Your Criminal Record
(“rap sheet”)
Since employers, landlords and others will be performing
criminal background checks and getting copies of your
criminal record, it is important that you know what is on
it, and that it is accurate. You will also be prepared to
answer any questions about your background. You will
have to go into your local police station and make an
appointment to be fingerprinted on a State Applicant
Fingerprint Card (SBI19). On that card you will have to
include your full name, social security number, date of
birth and purpose for the record check. You then mail
the card, with a cover letter listing the purpose of the
request, the name of the person whose records are
being requested, and the address where the records
should be sent, to:
State Section of Identification
Records and Identification Bureau
New Jersey State Police
P.O. Box 7068
West Trenton, NJ 08628
1-609-882-2000 ext 6425
1-609-530-4856 fax
You must include a $30 money order or cashier’s
check, certified check, or business check made
personal checks are accepted.
C. Expungement:
Cleaning Up Your Criminal Record
You may have heard about expungement as one way to
clean up your criminal record as you get some distance
from your old arrests and convictions. Unfortunately,
expungement is fairly limited in New Jersey. You can
expunge any arrest that did not lead to a conviction at
any point. You can expunge “disorderly persons
offenses,” which are low level offenses in New Jersey,
after 5 years, and most municipal ordinance offenses
after 2 years. for “indictable offenses” (felonies), can be
expunged 10 years from the date of conviction, payment
of any fine, satisfactory completion of probation or parole
or release from incarceration, but whichever is latest.
The most serious of these offenses, such as murder,
kidnapping, aggravated sexual assault, robbery, arson,
perjury and distribution, sale or possession with intent to
distribute of controlled dangerous substances (drugs),
can never be expunged. Expungement is a broader
remedy for offenses committed as a juvenile. Legal
Services of New Jersey has published a guide to
cleaning up your record through expungement. To get a
copy of the book, which costs $15, call888-576-5529, or
go to the LSNJ website, where you can download it
D. Checking and Correcting Your
Credit Record
While New Jersey allows employers to
look at your criminal record, many
employers — and others like landlords and mortgage
companies — will use a credit report instead of or in
addition to the state’s records. Credit records are
maintained by private companies and generally have
information about your debts, your history of paying bills
and other financial matters, but may also have
information about your criminal record. That information
may not be correct, and the law does offer you some
protections. For example, if an employer uses a credit
record to deny you a job, they have to tell you this, and
give you the name, address and phone number of the
agency that provided the report, and the agency must
give you a copy of that information on your request.
They cannot charge you money for that request if the
employer used the report to deny you a job. If the
records of the credit agency contain incorrect
information, they must investigate and correct inaccurate
You can get ahead of the curve by getting a copy of your
credit record and making sure there isn’t any incorrect
information on it. New Jersey residents are allowed one
free credit report each year. Three companies that
provide this service are:
Write to them at P.O. Box 74041, Atlanta, GA, 30374, or call
800-685-1111. By mail, be sure to include your full name,
current address, Social Security number, and most recent
former address for file-matching purposes.
PO Box 1000, Chester PA 19022
Call 1-800-888-4213.
PO Box 2002, Allen, TX 75013
Call 1-800-397-3742.
E. Voting Rights
New Jersey law does not allow you to vote while you are
in prison, or while you are on probation or parole for an
indictable offense (disorderly persons offenses don’t
disqualify you). Once you have completed your parole
or probation term, you may register to vote. Make
sure that you are registered in the county in which you
reside. Applications for registration can be obtained from
the Division of Elections, the Commissioners of
Registration office in the County where you live or from
your Municipal Clerk. Registration forms are also
available in various State agencies and at Motor Vehicle
Commission offices and can be obtained while
transacting agency business. If you are not sure, you
can visit http: //www .state. nj. us/ lps /elections /vote_
doe.html. You will be able to download a voter’s
registration form and mail it in. This site also explains
who can register to vote and where you can register.
F. Registration of Sexual Offenders (Megan’s Law)
Sex offenders are required to register with the police
under Megan’s Law. Offenses include: aggravated
sexual assault; sexual assault; aggravated criminal
sexual contact; endangering the welfare of a child by
engaging in sexual conduct which would impair or
debauch the morals of the child; luring or enticing and, if
the victim were a minor and the offender not a parent,
kidnapping; criminal restraint and false imprisonment
and promoting prostitution of a child under 18. You will
be registered prior to release, but must re-register your
home address at least 10 days prior to any move with
the law enforcement agency with which you were
registered when released. You will also need to verify
your address annually or every 90days if you are a
repetitive and compulsive offender.
The Game Plan
Your first weeks out after leaving prison can be
overwhelming. This section is set up to help you get
organized and keep yourself on track towards your
goals. First, think about what those goals are —what do
you want or need to get done in your first week out? In
your first month out? Where do you want to be in six
months? There are lots of things that other people need
you to do — your parole officer, for example, and your
family — but you also need to think about what you
expect from yourself.
Places to stay
Appointments to make? Doctors? Job help? Employers?
Applying for benefits?
People I need to see or call:
Who? ________________________________________
Who? ________________________________________
Your First Weeks Out
Here is a basic calendar to use to plan your first days out
of prison. Below it, there are some questions to ask
yourself about what you plan to do. You can mark
appointments and tasks on the calendar, and write in
dates in the small boxes.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
For how long? ________________________________
For how long? ________________________________
For how long? ________________________________
When? ______________________________________
When? ______________________________________
When? _______________________________________
Where/phone number? __________________________
Where/phone number? __________________________
Where/phone number? __________________________
Other things I need to do (get I.D., get prescriptions, go to a
support group, etc.):
Notes: _______________________________________
I.D. Checklist
Documents Have? Need?
Social Security Card ____ ____
Birth Certificate ____ ____
County I.D. ____ ____
Driver’s License ____ ____
Non-driver’s I.D. ____ ____
Certificate of Naturalization ____ ____
Green Card ____ ____
Military Discharge Papers ____ ____
Passport ____ ____
High School Diploma
or GED Certificate ____ ____
Prison Release Papers ____ ____
Getting Ready to Apply for a Job
In addition to personal information, most jobs ask
questions about your background and experience. If you
don’t already have a resume, use this space to list
information to fill out a job application, or for an
interview. Don’t forget to include dates.
Education Dates
(For example: list high school, GED, or other education, and include
any trade or vocational certificates.)
Work Experience Dates
References Phone Numbers
(List people who know you and can speak well of you.)
My Contacts: Important Names and Phone Numbers
Parole Officer: _________________________________
Parole Number: ________________________________
Parole Office: _________________________________
Address: _____________________________________
... Thus, action research argues that change comes about when all parties, not just the scientists, define the problem, determine how to go about collecting the information, and assess the outcomes (French & Bell, 1995). Fishman and Mellow (2005) surveyed stakeholders and ex-prisoners regarding their needs upon release. Realizing that prison social workers, offenders, parole officers, and community agency personnel had a wealth of knowledge about the services that work and those that do not, representatives from these groups were contacted in a formal and informal way to understand what post-release health and human services were needed. ...
... This data base had a total of 453 agencies and programs. Additional information developed for the Essex County Smart Book: A Resource Guide for Going Home (Fishman & Mellow, 2005) was also used. Specific information included in this data base was: agency name, address, zip code, phone number, e-mail address, fax number, Web site, hours and days of operation, services provided (e.g., comprehensive, housing, employment, substance abuse), eligibility requirements, documents required, fees, and languages spoken. ...
Discharge planning is increasingly prioritized by correctional systems in order to prepare prisoners for their reintegration into society. A goal of discharge planning is to link prisoners with appropriate service providers in the community to meet their needs. A successful discharge plan requires that an optimal level of services exist and work in a coordinated and collaborative way in order to ensure a continuum of care and treatment during the reentry process (Queralt & Witte, 1999). This study utilized Geographic Information System (GIS) to assess the size, demographic characteristics, and needs of the Newark, New Jersey parolee population with the availability, location, and characteristics of health and human service agencies servicing their needs. A random sample of parolees (N = 800) released in 2006 was selected for this study. Social service agency data were obtained from an on-line service agency data base. Results of the analysis include the degree of spatial distribution, accessibility, and availability of services to where the parolees live and the degree of spatial overlap of specific services in an area.
... (Source: Fishman & Mellow, 2005) Don't Have Insurance? ...
This chapter will discuss the development and assessment of written health education and discharge planning materials as a low-cost and effective tool to supplement the continuation of health care at discharge. In no way is one naive enough to suggest, however, that written information is a cure-all to increase adherence to a discharge plan. Nonadherence to a medical regimen and lack of utilization of community health services on release results both from macro- and micro-level factors: lack of funds or insurance to pay for health services, inconvenient locations of the health services, adverse effects of medication, ineffective health education, and personal or cultural beliefs (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention [CDC], Self-study modules on tuberculosis: Patient adherence to tuberculosis treatment. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 1999). Nevertheless, research also suggests that adherence to treatment and utilization of services is higher when written materials are incorporated in the discharge plan. This chapter argues that the research is unequivocal on the need for easily understandable discharge plans and also provides a template that correctional personnel can use when developing their own written materials for a correctional population.
ResearchGate has not been able to resolve any references for this publication.