important to interpret the findings in l ight of limited
ACT: Assertive community treatment; DIH: Days in hospital;
CMHT: Community mental health teams; PSR: Psycho-social rehabilitation;
DSM-IV-TR: Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders, Text
revision; HFUs: High frequency users; DACTS: Dartmouth Assertive
Community Treatment Scale; K-M: Kaplan Meier.
The authors declare that they have no competing interests.
All authors conceived of and designed the study. UB acquired the data. UG,
EJ and DN performed the statistical analysis. UB prepared the first draft of
the manuscript and both LK and DN made significant contributions to the
final draft. All authors read and approved the final manuscript.
We thank the Department of Health in the Western Cape and the
management of Stikland Hospital for allowing us to conduct this study.
Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences,
University of Stellenbosch, PO Box 19063, Tygerberg 7505, South Africa.
Medical Research Council, Bellville, South Africa.
Department of Statistical
Sciences, University of Cape Town, Rondebosch, South Africa.
Received: 25 June 2013 Accepted: 18 February 2014
Published: 27 February 2014
1. Burns T: The rise and fall of assertive community treatment? Int Rev
Psychiatry 2010, 22(2):130–137.
2. Dixon L: Assertive community treatment: twenty-five years of gold.
Psychiatr Serv 2000, 51:759 –765.
3. Smith L, Newton R: Systematic review of case management. Aust N Z J
Psychiatry 2007, 41:2–9.
4. Marshall M, Lockwood A: Assertive community treatment for people
with severe mental disorders. Cochrane Database Syst Rev
2000, (2):CD0 01089.
5. Petersen L, Jeppesen P, Thorup A, Abel MB, Øhlenschlaeger J, Christensen TØ,
Krarup G, Jørgensen P, Nordentoft M: A randomised multicentre trial of
integrated versus standard treatment for patients with a first episode of
psychotic illness. BMJ 2005, 331(7517):602.
6. Karow A, Reimer J, König HH, Heider D, Bock T, Huber C, Schöttle D, Meister K,
Rietschel L, Ohm G, Schulz H, Naber D, Schimmelmann BG, Lambert M:
Cost-effectiveness of 12-month therapeutic assertive community treatment
as part of integrated care versus standard care in patients with schizophrenia
treated with quetiapine immediate release (ACCESS trial). J Clin Psychiatry
7. Nishio M, Ito J, Oshima I, Suzuki Y, Horiuchi K, Sono T, Fukaya H, Hisanaga F,
Tsukada K: Preliminary outcome study on assertive community treatment
in Japan. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 2012, 66(5):383–389.
8. Killaspy H, Kingett S, Bebbington P, Blizard R, Johnson S, Nolan F, Pilling S,
King M: Randomised evaluation of assertive community treatment:
3-year outcomes. Br J Psychiatry 2009, 195:81–82.
9. Fiander M, Burns T, McHugo GJ, Drake RE: Assertive Community Treatment
across the Atlantic: comparison of model fidelity in the UK and USA. Br J
Psychiatry 2003, 182:248–254.
10. Bodén R, Sundström J, Lindström E, Wieselgren I, Lindström L: Five-year
outcome of first-episode psychosis before and after the implementation
of a modified assertive community treatment programme. Soc Psychiat
Epidemiol 2010, 45:665–674.
11. Sytema S, Wunderink L, Bloemers W, Roorda L, Wiersma D: Assertive
community treatment in the Netherlands: a randomized controlled trial.
Acta Psychiatr Scand 2007, 116:105–112.
12. Burns T: End of the road for treatment-as-usual studies?
Br J Psychiatry
13. McHugo GJ, Drake RE, Teague GB, Xie H: Fidelity to assertive community
treatment and client outcomes in the New Hampshire dual disorders
study. Psychiatr Serv 1999, 50:818–824.
14. Hanlon C, Wondimagegn D, Alem A: Lessons learned in developing
community mental health care in Africa. World Psychiatry 2010,
15. Patel V, Araya R, Chatterjee S, Chisholm D, Cohen A, De Silva M, Hosman C,
McGuire H, Rojas G, van Ommeren M: Treatment and prevention of
mental disorders in low-income and middle-income countries. Lancet
16. Odenwald M, Lingenfelder B, Peschel W, Haibe FA, Warsame AM, Omer A,
Stöckel J, Maedl A, Elbert T: A pilot study on community-based outpatient
treatment for patients with chronic psychotic disorders in Somalia:
Change in symptoms, functioning and co-morbid khat use. Int J Ment
Health Syst 2012, 6(1):8.
17. Botha UA, Koen L, Joska JA, Hering LM, Oosthuizen PP: Assessing the
efficacy of a modified assertive community-based treatment programme
in a developing country. BMC Psychiatry 2010, 10:73.
18. Ty rer P: The future of specialist community teams in the care of
those with severe mental illness. Epidemiol Psichiatr Soc 2007,
19. Weiden P, Glazer W: Assessment and treatment selection for “revolving
door” inpatients with schizophrenia. Psychiatr Q 1997, 68:377–392.
20. Teague GB, Bond GR, Drake RE: Program fidelity in assertive community
treatment: development and use of a measure. Am J Orthopsychiatry
21. R Core Team: R: A language and environment for statistical computing.
R Foundation for statistical Computing. Vienna, Austria; 2012. URL http://
www.R-project.org/. ISBN 3-900051-07-0.
Cite this article as: Botha et al.: The rise of assertive community
interventions in South Africa: a randomized control trial assessing the
impact of a modified assertive intervention on readmission rates; a
three year follow-up. BMC Psychiatry 2014 14:56.
Submit your next manuscript to BioMed Central
and take full advantage of:
• Convenient online submission
• Thorough peer review
• No space constraints or color ﬁgure charges
• Immediate publication on acceptance
• Inclusion in PubMed, CAS, Scopus and Google Scholar
• Research which is freely available for redistribution
Submit your manuscript at
Botha et al. BMC Psychiatry 2014, 14:56 Page 10 of 10