Environmental Science & Technology
dx.doi.org/10.1021/es304955g | Environ. Sci. Technol. 2013, 47, 4999−5006
. J. Eur. Communities 1975, L 194, 26−31.
(19) Hey, C. EU Environmental Policies: A short history of the
policy strategies. In European Union Environmental Policy Handbook: A
Critical Analysis of EU Environmental Legislation; Scheuer, S., Ed.;
European Environmental Bureau: Utrecht, 2006; p 18.
(20) Council Directive 91/414/EEC of 15 July 1991 concerning the
placing of plant protection products on the market. Off. J. Eur.
Communities 1991, L 230, 1-32.
(21) Evaluation of the Active Substances of Plant Protection
Products (Submitted in Accordance with Article 8(2) of Council
Directive 91/414/Eec on the Placing of Plant Protection Products on
the Market); Report from the Commission to the European
Parliament and the Council, COM/2001/444; European Commission:
(22) White Paper: Strategy for a Future Chemicals Policy; COM/
2001/88; European Commission: Brussels, 2001.
(23) Munro, I. C.; Carlo, G. L.; Orr, J. C.; Sund, K. G.; Wilson, R. M.;
Kennepohl, E.; Lynch, B. S.; Jablinske, M.; Lee, N. L. A
comprehensive, integrated review and evaluation of the scientific
evidence relating to the safety of the herbicide 2,4-D. J. Am. Coll.
Toxicol. 1992, 11 (5), 559−664.
(24) Garcia, S. J.; Abu-Qare, A. W.; Meeker-O'Connell, W. A.;
Borton, A. J.; Abou-Donia, M. B. Methyl parathion: A review of health
effects. J. Toxicol. Environ. Health, Part B 2003, 6 (2), 185−210.
(25) Silva, M. H.; Carr, W. C. Human health risk assessment of
endosulfan: II. Dietary exposure assessment. Regul. Toxicol. Pharmacol.
2010, 56 (1), 18−27.
(26) Carpy, S. A.; Kobel, W.; Doe, J. Health risk of low-dose
pesticides mixtures: A review of the 1985−1998 literature on
combination toxicology and health risk assessment. J. Toxicol. Environ.
Health, Part B 2000, 3 (1), 1−25.
(27) Lydy, M.; Belden, J.; Wheelock, C.; Hammock, B.; Denton, D.
Challenges in regulating pesticide mixtures. Ecol. Soc. 2004, 9 (6), 1.
(28) Dieter, H. H. The relevance of "non-relevant metabolites" from
plant protection products (PPPs) for drinking water: The German
view. Regul. Toxicol. Pharmacol. 2010, 56 (2), 121−125.
(29) Council Directive 79/117/EEC of 21 December 1978
prohibiting the placing on the market and use of plant protection
products containing certain active substances. Off. J. Eur. Communities
1979, L 33, 36−40.
(30) EU Action on Pesticides "Our Food Has Become Greener",
2009. Directorate-General for Health and Consumers, European
information_sources/docs/plant/factsheet_pesticides_en.pdf (accessed April 25, 2013).
(31) Regulation 1907/2006 of the European Parliament and of the
Council of 18 December 2006 concerning the Registration, Evaluation,
Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH), establishing a
European Chemicals Agency, amending Directive 1999/45/EC and
repealing Council Regulation (EEC) No 793/93 and Commission
Regulation (EC) No 1488/94 as well as Council Directive 76/769/
EEC and Commission Directives 91/155/EEC, 93/67/EEC, 93/105/
EC and 2000/21/EC. Off. J. Eur. Union 2006, L 396, 1−849.
(32) Regulation 1107/2009 of the European Parliament and of the
Council of 21 October 2009 concerning the placing of plant protection
products on the market and repealing Council Directives 79/117/EEC
and 91/414/EEC. Off. J. Eur. Union 2009, L 309, 1−50.
(33) European Commission Guidance Document on the Assessment
of the Relevance of Metabolites in Groundwater of Substances
Regulated under Council Directive 91/414/Eec; Sanco/221/2000-rev.10-final;