Journal of International Medical
The online version of this article can be found at:
2013 41: 247 originally published online 22 FebruaryJournal of International Medical Research
Yirong Zeng and Wenjun Feng
Metal allergy in patients with total hip replacement: A review
can be found at:
Journal of International Medical Research
Additional services and information for
What is This?
- Feb 22, 2013OnlineFirst Version of Record
- Apr 15, 2013Version of Record >>
by guest on October 11, 2013 by guest on October 11, 2013 by guest on October 11, 2013 by guest on October 11, 2013 by guest on October 11, 2013 by guest on October 11, 2013 by guest on October 11, 2013 imr.sagepub.comimr.sagepub.comimr.sagepub.comimr.sagepub.comimr.sagepub.com imr.sagepub.com imr.sagepub.comDownloaded from Downloaded from Downloaded from Downloaded from Downloaded from Downloaded from Downloaded from
lifestyle factors. Sci Total Environ 1997; 204:
25. Apostoli P, Maranelli G, Duca PG, et al.
Reference values of urinary chromium in
Italy. Int Arch Occup Environ Health 1997;
26. Hallab NJ, Mikecz C, Vermes C, et al.
Orthopaedic implant related metal toxicity in
terms of human lymphocyte reactivity to
metal-protein complexes produced from
cobalt-base and titanium-base implant alloy
degradation. Mol Cell Biochem 2001; 222:
27. Baruthio F and Pierre F. Cobalt determin-
ation in serum and urine by electrothermal
atomic absorption spectrometry. Bio Trace
Elem Res 1993; 39: 21–31.
28. Templeton DM, Sunderman Jr FW and
Herber RF. Tentative reference values for
nickel concentrations in human serum,
plasma, blood, and urine: evaluation
according to the TRACY protocol. Sci Total
Environ 1994; 148: 243–251.
29. Schaffer AW, Pilger A, Engelhardt C, et al.
Increased blood cobalt and chromium after
total hip replacement. J Toxicol Clin Toxicol
1999; 37: 839–844.
30. Donati ME, Savarino L, Granchi D, et al.
The effects of metal corrosion debris on
immune system cells. Chir Organi Mov 1998;
83: 387–393. [in English, Italian].
31. Kubba R, Taylor JS and Marks KF.
Cutaneous complications of orthopedic
implants. A two-year prospective study.
Arch Dermatol 1981; 117: 554–560.
32. Thyssen JP, Menne ´ T, Schalock PC, et al.
Pragmatic approach to the clinical work-up
of patients with putative allergic disease to
metallic orthopaedic implants before and
after surgery. Br J Dermatology 2011; 164:
33. Symeonides PP, Paschaloglou C and
Papageorgiou S. An allergic reaction after
internal fixation of a fracture using a
Vitallium plate. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1973;
34. Bazex A, Parant M, Bazex J, et al.
Dermatosis caused by bone graft material
(author’s transl). Ann Dermatol Venereol
1978; 105: 9–15. [in French, English
35. Kubba R and Champion RH. Nickel sensi-
tivity resembling bullous pemphigoid. Br J
Dermatol 1975; 93(suppl 11): 41–43.
36. Lammintausta K, Pitka ¨ nen OP, Kalimo K,
et al. Interrelationship of nickel and cobalt
contact sensitization. Contact Dermatitis
1985; 13: 148–152.
37. Mayor MB, Merritt K and Brown SA. Metal
allergy and the surgical patient. Am J Surg
1980; 139: 477–479.
38. Langlais F, Postel M, Berry JP, et al.
Intolerance to the products of wear of total
hip prostheses. Anatomopathological and
immunological study of 30 cases. Int Orthop
1980; 4: 145–153. [in French; authors’
39. Niki Y, Matsumoto M, Otani T, et al.
Screening for symptomatic metal sensitivity:
a prospective study of 92 patients undergo-
ing total knee arthroplasty. Biomaterials
2005; 26: 1019–1026.
40. Parvizi J, Adeli B, Zmistowski B, et al.
Management of periprosthetic joint infec-
tion: the current knowledge. AAOS exhibit
selection. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2012; 94:
41. Brown GC, Lockshin MD, Salvati EA, et al.
Sensitivity to metals as a possible cause of
sterile loosening after cobalt-chromium total
hip-replacement arthroplasty. J Bone Joint
Surg 1997; 59: 164–168.
42. Chik KK, Magee MA, Bruce WJ, et al.
Tc-99m stannous colloid-labelled leukocyte
scintigraphy in the evaluation of the painful
arthroplasty. Clin Nucl Med 1996; 21:
43. Biant LC, Bruce WJ, van der Wall H, et al.
Infection or allergy in the painful metal-on-
metal total hip arthroplasty? J Arthroplasty
2010; 25: 334.e11–334.e16.
44. Zug KA, Warshaw EM, Fowler Jr JF, et al.
Patch-test results of the North American
Contact Dermatitis Group 2005–2006.
Dermatitis 2009; 20: 149–160.
45. Yoshihisa Y and Shimizu T. Metal allergy
Dermatol Res Pract 2012; 2012: 749561.
46. Carlsson AS, Magnusson B and Mo ¨ ller H.
Metal sensitivity in patients with metal-
to-plastic total hip arthroplasties. Acta
Orthop Scand 1980; 51: 57–62.
252Journal of International Medical Research 41(2)