31. Goyeche J, Ago Y, Ikemi Y: Asthma: The yoga perspective. Part I. The
somatopsychic imbalance in asthma: Towards a holistic therapy. J
Asthma Res 1980, 17(3):111–121.
32. Krishnamurthy MN, Telles S: Assessing depression following two ancient
indian interventions: effects of yoga and ayurveda on older adults in a
residential home. J Gerontol Nurs 2007, 33(2):17–23.
33. Pilkington K, Kirkwood G, Rampes H, Richardson J: Yoga for depression: the
research evidence. J Affect Disord 2005, 89(1–3):13–24.
34. Haaz S, Bartlett SJ: Yoga for arthritis: a scoping review. Rheumatic Disease
Clinics of North America 2011, 37:33–46.
35. Patel SC, Parker DA: Isolated rupture of the lateral collateral ligament
during yoga practice: a case report. The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery
36. Hanus SH, Homer TD, Harter DH: Vertebral artery-occlusion complicating
yoga exercises. Arch Neurol 1977, 34(9):574–575.
37. Walker M, Meekins G, Hu SC: Yoga neuropathy. A snoozer. Neurologist
38. Fishman L, Saltonstall E: Yoga for arthritis. New York: W.W. Norton &
Company, Inc; 2008.
39. Long R: Scientific keys volume I: the key muscles of hatha yoga. 3rd edition.
Bandha: Yoga; 2006.
40. Nayak NN, Shankar K: Yoga: a therapeutic approach. Phys Med Rehabil Clin
41. Madanmohan, Mahadevan SK, Balakrishnan S, Gopalakrishnan M, Prakash ES:
Effect of six weeks yoga training on weight loss following step test,
respiratory pressures, handgrip strength and handgrip endurance in
young healthy subjects. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 2008, 52(2):164–170.
42. Cowen VS, Adams TB: Physical and perceptual benefits of yoga asana
practice: results of a pilot study. J Bodyw Mov Ther 2005, 9(3):211–219.
43. Schmid AA, Van Puymbroeck M, Koceja DM:
Effect of a 12-week yoga
intervention on fear of falling and balance in older adults: a pilot study.
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2010, 91(4):576–583.
44. Bosch PR, Traustadottir T, Howard P, Matt KS: Functional and physiological
effects of yoga in women with rheumatoid arthritis: a pilot study. Altern
Ther Health Med 2009, 15(4):24–31.
45. Ulger O, Yagli NV: Effects of yoga on balance and gait properties in
women with musculoskeletal problems: a pilot study. Complement Ther
Clin Pract 2011, 17(1):13–15.
46. Madanmohan, Thombre D, Balakumar B, Nambinarayanan T, Thakur S,
Krishnamurthy N, Chandrabose A: Effect of yoga training on reaction time,
respiratory endurance and muscle strength. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol
47. Barnes P, Powell-Griner E, McFann K, Nahin R: Complementary and
alternative medicine use among adults: United States, 2002. Adv Data
48. Blumenthal JA, Emery CF, Madden DJ, George LK, Coleman RE, Riddle MW,
McKee DC, Reasoner J, Williams RS: Cardiovascular and behavioral effects
of aerobic exercise training in healthy older men and women. J Gerontol
1989, 44(5):M147– M157.
49. Raub JA: Psychophysiologic effects of hatha yoga on musculoskeletal
and cardiopulmonary function: a literature review. J Altern Complement
Med 2002, 8(6):797–812.
50. Sunkaria R, Kumar V, Saxena S: A comparative study on spectral
parameters of HRV in yogic and non-yogic practitioners. International
Journal of Medical Engineering and Informatics 2010, 2(1):1–14.
51. Jain S, Jain M, Sharma CS: Effect of yoga and relaxation techniques on
cardiovascular system. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 2010, 54(2):183–185.
52. Telles S, Nagarathna R, Nagendra HR, Desiraju T: Physiological changes in
sports teachers following 3 months of training in yoga. Indian J Med Sci
53. Konar D, Latha R, Bhuvaneswaran JS: Cardiovascular responses to head-
down-body-up postural exercise (Sarvangasana). Indian J Physiol
54. Sivasankaran S, Pollard-Quintner S, Sachdeva R, Pugeda J, Hoq SM, Zarich
SW: The effect of a six-week program of yoga and meditation on
brachial artery reactivity: Do psychosocial interventions affect vascular
tone. Clin Cardiol 2006, 29(9):393–398.
55. Selvamurthy W, Sridharan K, Ray US, Tiwary RS, Hegde KS, Radhakrishan U,
Sinha KC: A new physiological approach to control essential
hypertension. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 1998, 42(2):205–213.
56. Raju PS, Prasad KV, Venkata RY, Murthy KJ, Reddy MV: Influence of intensive
yoga training on physiological changes in 6 adult women: A case report.
J Altern Complement Med 1997, 3(3):291–295.
57. Ashok C: Impact of asanas and pranayama on blood oxygen saturation
level. Br J Sports Med 2010, 44(Suppl 1):i69.
58. Oken BS, Zajdel D, Kishiyama S, Flegal K, Dehen C, Haas M, Kraemer DF,
Lawrence J, Leyva J: Randomized, controlled, six-month trial of yoga in
healthy seniors: Effects on cognition and quality of life. Altern Ther Health
Med 2006, 12(1):40–47.
59. Pandya DP, Vyas VH, Vyas SH: Mind-body therapy in the management and
prevention of coronary disease. Compr Ther 1999, 25(5):283–293.
60. Bera TK, Gore MM, Oak JP: Recovery from stress in two different postures
and in Shavasana–A yogic relaxation posture. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol
61. Banasik J, Williams H, Haberman M, Blank SE, Bendel R: Effect of Iyengar
yoga practice on fatigue and diurnal salivary cortisol concentration in
breast cancer survivors. J Am Acad Nurse Pract 2011, 23 (3):135– 142.
62. Curtis K, Osadchuk A, Katz J: An eight-week yoga intervention is
associated with improvements in pain, psychological functioning and
mindfulness, and changes in cortisol levels in women with fibromyalgia.
Journal of Pain Research 2011, 4:189–201.
63. Kamei T, Toriumi Y, Kimura H, Ohno S, Kumano H, Kimura K: Decrease in
serum cortisol during yoga exercise is correlated with alpha wave
activation. Percept Mot Skills 2000, 90(3 Pt 1):1027–1032.
64. West J, Otte C, Geher K, Johnson J, Mohr DC: Effects of Hatha yoga and
African dance on perceived stress, affect, and salivary cortisol. Ann Behav
Med 2004, 28(2):114–118.
65. Devi SK, Chansouria JPN, Malhotra OP, Udupa KN: Certain neuroendocrine
responses following the practice of Kundalini yoga. Alternative Medicine
66. Bukowski EL, Conway A, Glentz LA, Kurland K, Galantino ML: The effect of
iyengar yoga and strengthening exercises for people living with
osteoarthritis of the knee: a case series. Int Q Community Health Educ
67. Garfinkel MS, Schumacher HR Jr, Husain A, Levy M, Reshetar RA: Evaluation
of a yoga based regimen for treatment of osteoarthritis of the hands. J
Rheumatol 1994, 21(12):2341–2343.
68. Kolasinski SL, Garfinkel M, Tsai AG, Matz W, Van Dyke A, Schumacher HR:
Iyengar yoga for treating symptoms of osteoarthritis of the knees: a
pilot study. J Altern Complement Med 2005, 11(4):689–693.
69. Taibi DM, Vitiello MV: A pilot study of gentle yoga for sleep disturbance
in women with osteoarthritis. Sleep Med 2011, 12(5):512–517.
70. Badsha H, Chhabra V, Leibman C, Mofti A, Kong KO: The benefits of yoga
for rheumatoid arthritis: Results of a preliminary, structured 8-week
program. Rheumatol Int 2009, 29(12):1417–1421.
71. Evans S, Moieni M, Taub R, Subramanian SK, Tsao JC, Sternlieb B, Zeltzer LK:
Iyengar yoga for young adults with rheumatoid arthritis: results from a
mixed-methods pilot study. J Pain Symptom Manage 2010, 39(5):904–913.
72. Haslock I, Monro R, Nagarathna R, Nagendra HR, Raghuram NV: Measuring
the effects of yoga in rheumatoid arthritis. Br J Rheumatol 1994, 33
73. Telles S, Naveen KV, Gaur V, Balkrishna A: Effect of one week of yoga on
function and severity in rheumatoid arthritis. Biomed Central Research
Notes 2011, 4:118.
74. Haaz S, Bartlett S, Bathon J: Initial findings of an RCT of yoga on physical and
psychological functioning in RA and OA. Boston, Massachusetts: American
College of Rheumatology; 2007.
75. Ebnezar J, Nagarathna R, Bali Y, Nagendra HR: Effect of an integrated
approach of yoga therapy on quality of life in osteoarthritis of the knee
joint: a randomized control study. International Journal of Yoga 2011,
76. Evans S, Subramanian S, Sternlieb B: Yoga as treatment for chronic pain
conditions: a literature review. International Journal on Disability and
Human Development 2008, 7(1):25–32.
77. Barnes PM, Bloom B, Nahin RL: Complementary and alternative medicine
use among adults and children: United States, 2007 (National health
statistics reports no.12). Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health
78. Marquez D, McAuley E: Gender and acculturation influences on physical
activity in Latino adults. nn. Behav Med 2006, 31(2):138–144.
Middleton et al. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes 2013, 11:55 Page 13 of 14