C-Reactive Protein Levels in Pregnancy

Environmental Health Perspectives (Impact Factor: 7.98). 09/2012; 120(9):A342. DOI: 10.2307/41601732
Source: PubMed
  • Source
    [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: High sensitive C-reactive protein (hs-CRP) is a serum marker for acute inflammation and/or infection. The diagnostic value of serum levels of this protein has been investigated among patients with preterm delivery, premature rupture of the membranes (PROM) and preeclampsia. In this study, the predictive value of hs-CRP for successful labour induction in patients with PROM has been evaluated. Eighty-six term pregnant patients who experienced pre-labour amniotic membrane rupture from 37-41 weeks of gestation were selected for the study. Maternal serum hs-CRP levels were determined upon admission to the delivery unit and low dose intravenous oxytocin infusion was started to induce labour. The mode of delivery and time interval from labour induction to delivery were the primary endpoints of the study. Twenty-five (29%) out of 86 patients had delivered by caesarean section, while the remaining 61 (71%) had delivered vaginally. The receiver operator characteristic (ROC) curve for testing the significance of higher hs-CRP values and lower probability of vaginal delivery revealed that higher hs-CRP values were found to be insignificant for predicting the need for caesarean section. No statistically significant correlation between high serum hs-CRP levels and the probability of caesarean delivery has been established (Spearman rho:-.126; p=0.24). The mean maternal serum hs-CRP levels during PROM were found to be similar between vaginal and abdominal deliveries. Hs-CRP, as an inflammatory marker, was found to be neither specific nor sensitive for the prediction of successful labour induction in term pregnancies with pre-labour rupture of the membranes.
    Preview · Article · Mar 2014 · Journal of the Turkish German Gynecology Association
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract]
    ABSTRACT: A proportion of phenotypic type 2 diabetes (T2D) patients produce pancreatic autoantibodies and a majority of T2D patients develop serious life-disabling complications over time despite the implementation of adequate clinical interventions. This study determined whether the presence of pancreatic autoantibodies (GADA, IA-2A, anti-ZnT8, or ICA) were associated with serious complications or concomitant diseases of adult patients diagnosed with T2D (N=305). In the study population, 22.3% (N=68) of subjects were positive for at least 1 of the 4 of the markers associated with autoimmune diabetes (presence of pancreatic autoantibody - pAb), followed by GADA (14.1%, N=43), ICA (8.9%, N=27), anti-ZnT8 (5.6%, N=17), and IA-2A (2.0%, N=6). Logistic regression analysis adjusted for patient's age, gender and duration of T2D revealed that: (i) pAb was associated with higher prevalence of adiposity (odds ratio of adjusted regression model (adOR) 2.51, p=0.032); (ii) pAb, GADA, and anti-ZnT8 were associated with autoimmune thyroid disease (adORs 3.07, p=0.012; 6.29, p<0.001 and 3.52, p=0.052, respectively); (iii) pAb and GADA, in particular, were risk factors for neurological complications (adORs 2.10, p=0.036; 2.76, p=0.009, respectively) and polyneuropathy in particular (adORs 2.60, p=0.012; 3.10, p=0.007, respectively); and (iv) anti-ZnT8 was a risk factor for developing nephropathy (adOR 4.61, p=0.022). In addition, adiposity was associated with 5.3-year earlier onset of disease (adjusted linear regression model, p=0.006). These results suggest that GADA and anti-ZnT8 are associated with progression of serious T2D complications, including polyneuropathy and nephropathy. In addition, adiposity represents a significant risk for autoimmunity development in T2D patients. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.
    No preview · Article · Jan 2015 · European Journal of Clinical Investigation