Article

Tribe Cichorieae of Asteraceae of Kashmir Himalayas - A Taxonomic status report.

Authors:
To read the full-text of this research, you can request a copy directly from the author.

Abstract

The paper presents 141 species of 20 genera belonging to tribe Cichorieae of family Asteraceae. The most dominant genus of this tribe is Taraxacum which represents 76 species followed by Lactuca and and Crepis representing 14 and 7 species respectively inhabiting in Kashmir Himalayas of Jammu and Kashmir State.

No full-text available

Request Full-text Paper PDF

To read the full-text of this research,
you can request a copy directly from the author.

... The genus has also been reported from Indian states of Uttarakhand, Jammu and Kashmir, and Himachal Pradesh. So far, a total of six species of the genus have been reported from India while only two species in Jammu Division of Jammu and Kashmir State [8]. ...
Article
Full-text available
Objective: To enumerate the diversity of important medicinal plants used traditionally by the local populace in biodiversity rich temperate Himalayan ranges of Bandipora district, Jammu and Kashmir, India. Methods: Methods used to explore the plants with medicinal value and to record associated ethnomedicinal knowledge included semi-structured interviews, focus group discussions and walk-in-the-woods with local knowledgeable persons, traditional practitioners called “Bhoeris” and tribals (Gujjars and Bakkerwals). Results: During plant exploration in this floristically rich Himalayan region, a very interesting and less-known species of the genus Prenanthes L., (Asteraceae) was recorded. On examination, the species was identified as Prenanthes violaefolia Decne., which represents a first report from Kashmir Himalaya, India. Conclusions: Prenanthes violaefolia could serve as an important source of new potent compounds provided that it is subjected to thorough phytochemical and pharmacological investigations.
Chapter
The Jammu and Kashmir Himalaya enjoys remarkable richness and diversity in Asteraceae, representing nearly 50% of all the taxa of this family in India. A total of 554 species belonging to 133 genera under 12 tribes are reported from the Kashmir Himalaya; these species constitute ca. 11% of its entire angiosperm flora. The constituent members are distributed in all three climatic zones, subtropical, temperate and alpine; 68.8% species inhabit the Kashmir region, while the rest 31.2% occur in the Jammu region. The tribe Cichorieae is the largest, contributing 27.7% species in 20 genera; followed by Cardueae with 16.4% species in 21 genera, and Inulaeae with 12.8% species in 16 genera. Ten larger Asteraceae genera in two regions are Taraxacum, Artemisia, Saussurea, Erigeron, Lactuca, Senecio, Aster, Inula, Anaphalis, and Gnaphalium; these together contain 46.5% of all species in the family. Overall, 63 genera are represented by a single species each. Many of these species (95; 18.6%) in 24 genera are endemic to this Himalayan region. The rich endemic genera are Taraxacum (42.1%), Saussurea (10.5%), Artemisia (6.3%), Lactuca (4.44%), Chondrilla (4.2%), Senecio (4.2%), Jurinella (3.33), Crepis (3.1%) and Erigeron (3.1%). As many as 54 species are exotic. Information on economic importance of taxa is also appended.
ResearchGate has not been able to resolve any references for this publication.