A REVIEW ON THERAPEUTIC USES OF PEDALIUM MUREX

Article (PDF Available)inInternational Journal of Research in Ayurveda and Pharmacy 2(508):1743--1745 · June 2011with1,077 Reads
Abstract
Traditional system of medicinal consists of large number of plants with various medicinal and pharmacological importances and hence represents a priceless tank of new bioactive molecules. Pedalium murex is a small herb distributed in tropical Africa, Ceylon, India and Mexico. It is commonly found in Deccan and some parts of Ceylon and Gujarat and in its costal areas of Southern India. It is commonly called Gokhru (Yaanai Nerinji) a member of family Pedaliaceae. The plant is sweet, cooling, mucilaginous, diuretic and inflammatory and used to treat digestive, carminative, tonic, spasmodic affections, amenorrhoea, and vitiated conditions of pita, inflammation and general debility. This review will be helpful to create interest towards Pedalium murex and may be useful in developing new formulations with more therapeutic and economical value.
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: The phytochemical analysis of both the aqueous and methanolic extracts of edible indigenous medicinal plant Lasienthera africanum ("Editan") and their antibacterial activities against clinical isolates, Escherichia coli, Salmonella typhi, Klebsiella pneumoniae and Staphylococcus aureus were investigated. The phytochemical analysis revealed the presence of alkaloids, saponins, tannins, flavonoids, cardiac glycosides, anthraquinones and cyanogenetic glycosides in varying concentration. Both the methanolic and aqueous extracts inhibited the growth of the test organisms with Sal. typhi showing the highest susceptibility. This research supports the local use of the leaf of the plant, L. africanum ("Editan") for prophylactic and therapeutic purposes against bacterial infection.
    Full-text · Article · Feb 2009
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: Phytochemical screening of the ethanol extract of the leave of Lophira lanceolata indicated the presence of flavonoids, anthraquinones, carbohydrate, glycoside, phenols, saponin steroid, tannin, free reducing sugar. However alkaloid were absence in this species. The glycoside after hydrolysis afforded quercetin as the genin and a sugar was identified as glu-cose. [Life Science Journal. 2007; 4(4): 75 – 79] (ISSN: 1097 – 8135).
    Article · · Drug Invention Today
  • [Show abstract] [Hide abstract] ABSTRACT: In this contemporary investigation bio-control of ocular pathogen i.e. Corynebacterium macginleyi was achieved by methanol, chloroform and hexane extracts of forty different medicinal plants using agar well diffusion method. Among the forty selected plants, methanolic extracts of thirty six plants given remarkable bioactivity than chloroform and hexane extracts against C. macginleyi. The methanolic extracts from Terminalia catappa, Terminalia chebula, Rosa indica, Albizia lebbeck, Butea monosperma showed maximum activity. Hibiscus rosa-sinensis, Justicia adhatoda, Physalis minima and Pongamia pinnata did not exhibit antibacterial activity at the condition studied. Among the forty plants studied 90 % of the plants had antibacterial activity while the remaining 10% had no antibacterial activity.
    Article · Jan 2010
Show more