chronically mentally ill. Washington, DC: National Institute of
Mental Health; 1987.
18. Lefley HP. Research directions for a new conceptualization of
families. In: Lefley HP, Johnson DL, editors. Families as allies in
treatment of the mentally ill: new directions for mental health
professionals. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Press;
1990. p. 127– 62.
19. Gubman GD, Tessler RC. The impact of mental illness on
families: concepts and priorities. J Fam Issues 1987;8:226 – 45.
20. Hatfield A. Psychological costs of schizophrenia in the family.
Social Work 1978;13:727–36.
21. Noh S, Turner RJ. Living with psychiatric patients: implications
for the mental health of family members. Soc Science Med
22. Miller FM, Dworkin J, Ward M, Barone D. A preliminary study
of unresolved grief in families of seriously mentally ill patients.
Hosp Community Psychiatry 1990;41:1321–5.
23. Vitaliano PP, Russo J, Young HM, Teri L, Maiuro RD. Predictors
of burden in spouse caregivers of individuals with Alzheimer’s
disease. Psychol Aging 1991;6:392–402.
24. Vitaliano PP, Scanlan JM, Siegler I, McCormick W, Knoop R.
Coronary heart disease moderates the relationship of chronic
stress with metabolic syndrome. Health Psychol 1990;17:520–9.
25. Spitzer R, William J, Gibbon M, First M. Structured clinical
interview for DSM-IV. New York: Biometrics Research Depart-
ment, New York State Psychiatric Institute; 1989.
26. Overall J, Gorham D. The Brief Psychiatric Rating Scale. Psychol
Rep 1962;10:799 – 812.
27. Andreasen NC. Modified Scale for the Assessment of Negative
Symptoms. Washington, DC: Department of Health and Human
Services, Public Health Service, Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Men-
tal Health Administration; 1984.
28. Jenkins CD, Kraeger BE, Rose RM, Hurst MW. Use of a monthly
health review to ascertain illness and injuries. Am J Public
Health 1980;70:82– 4.
29. Kiecolt-Glaser JK, Dura JR, Speicher CE, Trask OJ, Glaser R.
Social caregivers of dementia victims: longitudinal changes in
immunity and health. Psychosom Med 1991;53:345– 62.
30. Puckett CG. The educational annotation of ICD-9 CM. 4th ed.
Reno, NV: Channel Publications; 1993.
31. Tessler RC, Fisher GA, Gamache G. The family burden interview
schedule. Amherst, MA: Social and Demographic Research In-
stitute, University of Massachusetts; 1992.
32. Cohen S, Kamarck T, Mermelstein S. A global measure of per-
ceived stress. J Health Soc Behav 1983;24:385–96.
33. Cohen S, Williamson G. Perceived stress in a probability sample
of the United States. In: Spacapan S, Oskamp S, editors. The
Social Psychology of Health. Newbury, CA: Sage; 1988. p.
34. Radloff LS. The CES-D scale: a self-report depression scale for
research in the general population. Appl Psychol Measure 1977;
35. Cohen S, Mermelsteen R, Kamarch T, Hoberman HM. Measuring
the functional components of social support. In: Sarason IG,
Sarason BR, editors. Social support, theory, research & applica-
tions. Boston: Martenus Nijhoff and Dordrecht; 1985. p. 73–94.
36. Sarason IG, Sarason BR, Shearin EN, Pierce GR. A brief measure
of social support: practical and theoretical implications. J Soc
Pers Relationships 1987;4:497–510.
37. Vitaliano P, Russo J, Carr JE. The ways of coping
checklist–revision and psychometric properties. Multivariate
Behav Res 1985;20:3–26.
38. Folkman S, Lazarus RS. Analysis of coping in a middle aged
community sample. J Health Soc Behav 1980;21:219–39.
39. Vitaliano P, Maiuro RD, Russo J, Katon W, DeWolfe D, Hall G.
Coping profiles associated with psychiatric, physical health,
work, and family problems. Health Psychol 1990;9:348–76.
40. Barefoot JC, Dahlstrom WG, Williams RB. Hostility, CHD inci-
dence, and total mortality: a 25-year follow-up of 255 physi-
cians. Psychosom Med 1983;45:59– 63.
41. Shekelle RB, Gale M, Ostfield AM, Paul O. Hostility, risk of
coronary heart disease and mortality. Psychosom Med 1983;45:
42. Spielberger C, Johnson E, Russell S, Crane R, Jacobs G, Worden
T. The experience and expression of anger: construction and
validation of an anger expression scale. In: Chesney MA, Rosen-
man RH, editors. Anger and hostility in cardiovascular and
behavioral disorders. Washington, DC: Hemisphere; 1985. p.
43. Belloc N, Breslow L. Relationship of physical health status and
health practices. Prev Med 1972;1:409 –21.
44. Graham NMH, Douglas RB, Ryan P. Stress and acute respiratory
infection. Am J Epidemiol 1986;124:389 – 401.
45. Boyce WT, Jensen EW, Cassell JC, Collier AM, Smith AH, Ramey
CT. Influence of life events and family routines on childhood
respiratory tract illness. Pediatrics 1977;60:609 –15.
46. Cohen S, Tyrrell DAJ, Smity AP. Psychological stress and sus-
ceptibility to the common cold. N Engl J Med 1991;325:606 –12.
47. House JS, Landis KR, Umberson D. Social relationships and
health. Science 1987;241:540 – 4.
48. Oxman TE, Berkman LF. Assessment of social relationships in
elderly patients. Int J Psychiatry Med 1990;20:65–84.
49. Levy S, Herberman R, Lippmow M, d’Angelo T. Correlation of
stress factors with sustained depression of natural killer cell
activity and predicted prognosis in patients with breast cancer.
J Clin Oncol 1987;5:348–53.
50. Maurin JT, Barmann Boyd C. Burden of mental illness on the
family: a critical review. Arch Psychiatr Nurs 1990;2:99 –107.
51. Creer C, Wing J. Living with a schizophrenic patient. Br J Hosp
Med 1975;14:73– 82.
52. Raj L, Parmanand K, Ajit A. Social burden of positive and
negative schizophrenia. Int J Soc Psychiatry 1991;37:242–50.
53. Potasnik H, Nelson G. Stress and social support: the burden
experienced by the family of a mentally ill person. Am J Com-
munity Psychol 1984;12:589 – 607.
54. Vitaliano PP, Russo J, Scanlan J, Greeno C. Weight changes in
caregivers of Alzheimer’s care recipients: psychobehavioral pre-
dictors. Psychol Aging 1996;11:155–63.
55. Biegel D, Milligan SE, Putnam PL, Song LY. The role of race in
family caregiving with persons with mental illness: burden,
support systems and use of self-help. Cleveland, OH: Center for
Practice Innovation, Case Western Reserve University; 1992.
56. Schulz RA, Visintainer P, Williamson G. Psychiatric and phys-
ical morbidity effects of caregiving. J Gerontol 1990;45:181–91.
57. Vitaliano P, Russo J, Barley S, Young HM, McCann BS. Psycho-
social factors associated with cardiovascular reactivity in older
adults. Psychosom Med 1993;55:164–77.
58. Greenberg JS, Greenley JR, McKee D. Mothers caring for an adult
child with schizophrenia: the effects of subjective burden on
maternal health. Madison, WI; Mental Health Research Center,
University of Wisconsin; 1992.
59. McFarlane WR, Link B, Dushay R, Marchal J, Crilly J. Psycho-
educational multiple family groups: four-year outcome in
schizophrenia. Fam Processes 1995;34:127–44.
ILLNESS IN SCHIZOPHRENIA CAREGIVERS
419Psychosomatic Medicine 61:411– 419 (1999)