MIND STEP: Modelling Individual Decisions to Support the Europan Policies related to Agriculture (H2020)
Goal: Current state-of-the-art agricultural models are not able to deliver individual farm and local effects as they are specified at higher levels of aggregation. Making use of improved possibilities opened up by progress in the ICT area, our project MIND STEP will improve exploitation of available agricultural and biophysical data and will include the individual decision making (IDM) unit in policy models. Based on a common data framework MIND STEP will develop IDM models, including agent-based models, focussing on different topics in an integrated manner in different regional case studies. The IDM models will be estimated and calibrated using agricultural statistics and big datasets, drawing on established econometric and evolving machine learning techniques and using both traditional models of optimising behaviour and theories from behavioural economics. MIND STEP will closely cooperate with a range of stakeholders to co-create and apply the MIND STEP model toolbox to selected regional, national and EU wide policy cases. MIND STEP cooperates with other consortia under the topic to share ideas and innovations.
Coordinated by Stichting Wageningen Research (The Netherlands) the consortium includes 11 partners from 8 countries.
Further information can be found on the project's online channels
- project website: https://mind-step.eu/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/MindstepP/
- Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/company/mind-step-project/
- Cordis factsheet of the project: https://cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/223209/factsheet/en
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under Grant Agreement Nr. 817566.
Date: 1 September 2019 - 31 August 2023
- Alfons Balmann's Lab
- May 2022
- Sep 2021
- We had interviews and the 1st stakeholder workshop to find out which key policy questions and benchmark scenarios we shall focus on. In October we had our 2nd project meeting, working meetings, and we also took part at the EU Farm to Fork Conference. Learn more about how our partners work to keep focus on project implementation.
- New deliverables, including reports on key policy questions for ex-ante impact assessment of EU Agricultural and Rural policies, and a report on access to a computer cluster were submitted to the EC.
- Read how we cooperate with our fellow projects AGRICORE and BESTMAP funded within the same Work Programme Topic RUR-04-2018-2019 in the AGRI-MODELS CLUSTER.
- We also cooperate with the SUPREMA H2020 project, and we have participated at its project closing conference.
- There are several events on our list, e. g. the VIRTUAL Annual Conference of The Agricultural Economics Society (AES), 29 and 30 March 2021, Warwick, UK or the 14th European Farming Systems Conference (IFSA – European Group) Évora, Portugal, 28 March and 1 April 2021.
- What policy scenarios and technological concepts encourage individual farmers to actively invest in greenhouse gas emission reduction and in carbon sequestration, thus perceiving farmers as part of the solution rather than the problem?
- Which farming practices are available and where can they be effective?
- What would be a farmer’s willingness to engage in such agriculture funding schemes?
- What would be the impact of a carbon tax on some agricultural production?
- How efficient would be to establish an emission trading system between farmers?
- The generic slowdown caused by the COVID-19 pandemic also affects MIND STEP. Learn more about how our partners work to keep focus on project implementation.
- The first deliverables, including reports on data storage and data processing capacities, on communication and dissemination, and on the MIND STEP Platform were submitted to the EC.
- Read more how we cooperate with our fellow projects AGRICORE and BESTMAP funded within the same Work Programme Topic RUR-04-2018-2019 and have established the AGRI-MODELS CLUSTER.
- We also cooperate with the SUPREMA H2020 project.
- There are several events on our list, e.g. the 9th AIEAA Conference or the XVI Congress of the European Association of Agricultural Economists (EAAE).
- WR: STICHTING WAGENINGEN RESEARCH (NL)
- UBO: RHEINISCHE FRIEDRICH-WILHELMSUNIVERSITAT BONN (DE)
- IASA: INTERNATIONALES INSTITUT FUER ANGEWANDTE SYSTEMANALYSE (AT)
- IAMO: LEIBNIZ-INSTITUT FUER AGRARENTWICKLUNG IN TRANSFORMATIONSOEKONOMIEN (DE)
- THUENEN: JOHANN HEINRICH VON THUENEN-INSTITUT, BUNDESFORSCHUNGSINSTITUT FUER LAENDLICHE RAEUME, WALD UND FISCHEREI (DE)
- UCS: UNIVERSITA CATTOLICA DEL SACRO CUORE (IT)
- WU: WAGENINGEN UNIVERSITY (NL)
- INRA: INSTITUT NATIONAL DE LA RECHERCHE AGRONOMIQUE (FR)
- NIBIO: NORSK INSTITUTT FOR BIOOKONOMI (NO)
- JRC: JOINT RESEARCH CENTREEUROPEAN COMMISSION JRC (BE)
- GEO: GEONARDO ENVIRONMENTAL TECHNOLOGIES (HU)