FIRENWOOD- Improved fire design of engineered wood systems in buildings
Goal: FIRENWOOD will fill knowledge gaps regarding fire safe use of engineered wood systems, with focus on structural joints and adhesives in cross-laminated timber (CLT), glued-laminated timber (GLT) and wood-based I-joists, and develop validated and relevant fire design models for these systems as well as classification methods for adhesives. A key point is to investigate the behaviour of adhesives used in structural applications, as many of these innovative systems utilise different adhesives.
FIRENWOOD is funded by the ForestValue Research Programme and is coordinated by RISE Fire Research in Trondheim, Norway.
Date: 1 March 2019
- Alar Just's Lab
- Embedment length of 150 mm and 300 mm
- Two rod diameters M12 and M20
- Two adhesive systems
- Adhesive joint thickness of 1 mm and 3 mm
- Two load levels
- Influence of a joint of 2 mm thickness on the failure behaviour
- Tests at ambient temperatures, small scale testing of finger joints, cross-laminated timber and glulam are now completed.
- Analysis of test results show a good correlation between the small scale methods in the cone heater and at elevated temperatures.
- Results from the small scale finger joint method in the cone heater and the loaded fire tests with I-joists with finger jointed flanges showed good correlation.
- Design models for floors and walls with I-joists is proposed in Final Draft of Eurocode 5-1-2. The floor model takes influence of adhesives to the fire behaviour of flanges into account.
- We have proposed test method for adhesives used in finger joints of the I-joists. The test method is included in the Final Draft of Eurocode 5-1-2.
- Bondline integrity is a hot topic. Thickness of lamella would be a parameter necessary for design.
- For CLT the "step model" of charring is included in the Final Draft of Eurocode 5-1-2.
- Applicability of “step model” for glulam will be discussed after finalizing the test series of charring.
- May 2020
- May 2019
- 325.17 KB52_FIRENWOOD_compressed.pdf