4th FRIEND/IAHS International Conference on the Hydrology of African Large river Basins
Goal: Fourth conference Cotonou 16-20th November 2021
Here is the website of the Ist 2nd and 3rd International Conference on the Hydrology of African Large river Basins
Date: 31 October 2019
- Applicants must be postdoctoral fellows or PhD students involved in water sciences and education, broadly defined as any discipline covered within Water.
- Outline of current and future research;
- CV, including a complete list of publications;
- Details of the conference to be attended (conference name and website) and an abstract of the work that will be presented;
- Letter of recommendation from a supervisor, research director, or department head that also confirms the applicant’s status as a postdoctoral fellow/PhD student.
- “River sediment quality and quantity: environmental, geochemical and ecological perspectives” ICCE – Bydgoszcz, Poland – 1-5 June https://icce2020.ukw.edu.pl/jednostka/icce2020
- “9th International Water Resources Management Conference of ICWRS” ICWRS – Cairns, Australia – 20-22 July https://iahs-icwrs.org/conference/2020/index.html
- STAHY 2020 – Valencia, Spain – 23-25 September https://stahy2020.congresos.upv.es/
- “Hydrology of the Large African Basins” – Cotonou, Benin – 24-28 November https://friendgrandsfleuvesafriquecotonou2020.org/fr/accueil/ (dead line passed, but special requests still possible)
- heavy precipitation
- flash-floods and social vulnerability
- integrated prediction of heavy precipitation and impacts
- Mediterranean cyclones
- strong winds and intense air-sea fluxes
- deep water formation and ocean circulation
- Mediterranean Sea water budget
- droughts and water resources.
- underlying science of climate change;
- climate and water; climate and oceans;
- socio-economic modelling related to climate change;
- regional climate change,
- vulnerability, impacts and adaptation;
- attaining the goals of the Paris Agreement;
- synergies between adaptation and mitigation; and
- climate solutions in the context of the sustainable development goals (SDGs).
- Climate and global change, hydrological patterns
- Observatories, databases, model outputs
- Extreme hydroclimatic events
- Forecasting and prevention of hydrometeorological risks
- Erosion, sediment transport
- Ecohydrology, biodiversity and water quality
- Hydrology of lagoons, continent-coast interface
- Water, energy and society
- Models and hydrological modeling
- Surface water groundwater relationship
- Education on water and water security
- Further develop the flood model components (e.g., large scale modeling of stochastic rainfall processes, rainfall-runoff processes, inundation, and defense failure mechanisms) and to seek for scientific and technological improvements;
- Quality-check the results (e.g., calibration results);
- Evaluate final model output (e.g., flood footprints, flood losses and their spatial patterns using statistical and GIS tools);
- Further advancement of hydrological and hydraulic modules by researching and implementing novel scientific techniques (e.g. advancing the stochastic modules and peril modules that are at the center of the flood model);
- Perform research into consistency between observed and modeled spatial patterns, seasonality of floods, flood magnitudes).
- Advanced degree in Hydrology, Hydraulics, Meteorology, Coastal and Ocean Engineering, Applied Mathematics or a related discipline;
- Must have a strong analytical mindset combined with strong programming skills (Fortran, Python, R, C/C++, Java, bash/csh);
- Experience with model development, usage of GPUs for large compute jobs, data-assimilation and/or forecasting environments, GIS tools (e.g., GRASS), SQL, and a strong publication record are considered an advantage.
- Strong knowledge of statistics and probability theory is a plus
- Experience with coastal circulation, storm surge or tsunami modeling is a plus
- Prior experience of working on large data sets in a Linux/Unix environment;
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- une allocation pour les frais de subsistance;
- des ateliers de perfectionnement professionnel;
- l’assistance d’un mentor Globalink local.