Sarah Jenkins

Sarah Jenkins
Royal Holloway, University of London | RHUL · Department of Psychology

PhD

About

21
Publications
3,123
Reads
How we measure 'reads'
A 'read' is counted each time someone views a publication summary (such as the title, abstract, and list of authors), clicks on a figure, or views or downloads the full-text. Learn more
128
Citations
Introduction
My research broadly explores how risk and uncertainty information is communicated across a variety of contexts, including natural hazards, food safety and medical domains. I'm currently working as a Research Associate with the Department for Product Safety and Standards on a project investigating consumer risk perceptions.
Additional affiliations
September 2015 - September 2018
University College London
Position
  • PhD Student
October 2013 - August 2015
King's College London
Position
  • Research Assistant
September 2012 - September 2013
University College London
Position
  • Master's Student

Publications

Publications (21)
Conference Paper
Full-text available
Research into risk communication has commonly highlighted the disparity between the meaning intended by the communicator and what is understood by the recipient. Such miscommunications will have implications for perceived trust and expertise of the communicator, but it is not known whether this differs according to the communication format. We exam...
Article
Full-text available
Calls to communicate uncertainty using mixed, verbal-numerical formats ('unlikely' [0-33%]) have stemmed from research comparing mixed with solely verbal communications. Research using the new 'which outcome' approach to investigate understanding of verbal probability expressions suggests, however, that mixed formats might convey disadvantages comp...
Article
Full-text available
Background: Typically, food-related risk assessments are carried out within a four step, technical framework, as detailed by the Codex Alimentarius Commission (World Health Organization/ Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations, 2015). However, the technical framework presumes a level of ‘objective risk’ and does not take into accou...
Article
Full-text available
As food technology continues to advance, the potential for new food products to enter the food market grows, attracting considerable media interest. Whilst previous research has explored public perceptions of food-related hazards, much of this took place over 10 years ago. Continued technological developments have yielded new food products, for whi...
Article
Full-text available
The move towards impact-based forecasting presents a challenge for forecasters, who must combine information not just on what the weather might be, but also on what the weather might do. Such forecasts require an integration of both likelihood and impact severity information to issue a particular weather warning. The current pre-registered study fo...
Article
Zoonoses represent a global public health threat. Understanding lay perceptions of risk associated with these diseases can better inform proportionate policy interventions that mitigate their current and future impacts. While individual zoonoses (e.g. bovine spongiform encephalopathy) have received scientific and public attention, we know little ab...
Article
Effective risk communication about medical procedures is critical to ethical shared decision-making. Here, we explore the potential for development of an evidence-based lexicon for verbal communication of surgical risk. We found that Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) surgeons expressed a preference for communicating such risks using verbal probability exp...
Article
Full-text available
The move towards impact-based forecasting presents a challenge for forecasters, who must combine information not just on what the weather might be, but also on what the weather might do. Yet different hazards and impacts are qualitatively distinct, meaning such information cannot be easily or straightforwardly integrated. The present study aimed to...
Article
Full-text available
The informational leakage account of attribute framing effects proposes that a communicator's choice of frame provides informational value, such that different frames are not informationally equivalent. Across five studies communicating food risks, we investigated the adaptability of communication recipients' (our participants) use of frame informa...
Preprint
Full-text available
As food technology continues to advance, the potential for new food products to enter the food market grows, attracting considerable media interest. Whilst previous research has explored public perceptions of food-related hazards, much of this took place over 10 years ago. Continued technological developments have yielded new food products, for whi...
Thesis
Full-text available
This thesis investigates the effect of communication format on the understanding of uncertainty communications and considers the implications of these findings for a communicator’s perceived credibility. The research compares five formats: verbal probability expressions (VPEs; e.g., ‘unlikely’); numerical expressions – point (e.g., ‘20% likelihood’...
Article
Full-text available
Abstract Risk communicators often need to communicate probabilistic predictions. On occasion, an event with 10% likelihood will occur, or one with 90% likelihood will not-a probabilistically unexpected outcome. Previous research manipulating communication format has found that communicators lose more credibility and are perceived as less correct if...
Article
Full-text available
The public expects science to reduce or eliminate uncertainty (Kinzig & Starrett, 2003), yet scientific forecasts are probabilistic (at best) and it is simply not possible to make predictions with certainty. Whilst an ‘unlikely’ outcome is not expected to occur, an ‘unlikely’ outcome will still occur one in five times (based on a translation of 20%...
Conference Paper
Full-text available
Research into risk communication has commonly highlighted the disparity between the meaning intended by the communicator and what is understood by the recipient. Such miscommunications will have implications for perceived trust and expertise of the communicator, but it is not known whether this differs according to the communication format. We exam...
Article
Full-text available
Objective To investigate the self-rated health of the UK military and explore factors associated with poor self-rated health. Compare self-rated health of the military to the general population. Design A cohort study. Participants A total of 7626 serving and ex-serving UK military personnel, aged between 25 and 49; 19,452,300 civilians from Engla...
Conference Paper
Full-text available
A commonly suggested solution to reduce misinterpretations of verbal probability expressions in risk communications is to use a verbal-numerical (mixed format) approach, but it is not known whether this increases understanding over and above a purely numerical format. Using the 'which outcome' methodology (Teigen & Filkuková, 2013), we examined the...
Conference Paper
A commonly suggested solution to reduce misinterpretations of verbal probability expressions in risk communications is to use a verbal-numerical (mixed format) approach, but it is not known whether this increases understanding over and above a purely numerical format. Using the ‘which outcome’ methodology (Teigen & Filkuková, 2013), we examined the...
Article
Full-text available
Background Having a visual, hearing or physical impairment (defined as problems in body function or structure) may adversely influence the mental well-being of military personnel. This paper reviews the existing literature regarding the prevalence of mental health problems among (ex-)military personnel who have a permanent, predominantly, physical...

Network

Cited By

Projects

Projects (3)
Project
This project was a collaboration with the Food Standards Agency, which considered how the risk analysis process could be adapted to meet new challenges in food safety. Specifically this project explored the nature of public risk perceptions for food hazards, as well as the effect of how risks are characterised (i.e. qualitatively or quantitatively) on risk management decisions.
Project
Investigate the decision-making process that forecasters go through to issue impact-based warnings. Explore whether there are differences in interpretations of these warnings between forecasters and users. Develop and test new approaches to enhance the effectiveness of these warnings.
Project
Examining the effect of using verbal, numerical point, numerical range, and mixed formats to communicate uncertainty on the perceptions of credibility of the communicator.