Marco Streit

Marco Streit
Paul Scherrer Institut | PSI · Reasearch Department Nuclear Energy and Safety (NES)

PhD

About

46
Publications
6,821
Reads
How we measure 'reads'
A 'read' is counted each time someone views a publication summary (such as the title, abstract, and list of authors), clicks on a figure, or views or downloads the full-text. Learn more
265
Citations
Additional affiliations
January 2017 - present
Paul Scherrer Institut
Position
  • Head of Hot Laboratory Division
January 2016 - present
Paul Scherrer Institut
Position
  • Head of Operation, Administration & Safety Group of Hot Laboratory Division
Description
  • Head of Operation, Administration & Safety Group of Hot Laboratory Division Deputy Head of Hot Laboratory Division Operation Manager Hotlab
February 2014 - December 2015
Paul Scherrer Institut
Position
  • Head Isotopic & Element Analytics
Education
July 1999 - February 2004
ETH Zurich
Field of study
  • Nonmetalic Materials
October 1993 - June 1998
University of Basel
Field of study
  • Chemistry

Publications

Publications (46)
Article
Two identical Phénix-type 15-15Ti steel pinlets each containing a 70 mm Pu0.3Zr0.7N fuel stack in a 1-bar helium atmosphere have been irradiated in the HFR Petten at medium high linear power (46-47 kW/m at BOL) and an average cladding temperature of 505 °C. The pins were irradiated to a plutonium burn-up of 9.7% (88 MWd/kgHM) in 170 full power days...
Conference Paper
Full-text available
For the detection and control of nuclear fuel samples and monitoring with respect to criticality safety, the 1998 from PSI developed KBuch program has been used. In autumn 2011, a logic error was detected in the software during a routine booking with extraordinary nuclear fuel. This bug was reported to the national regulator ENSI and appropriate ad...
Conference Paper
Full-text available
In the presented work a thorough review of the available literature data has been done attempting to acquire experimental and theoretical information on molybdenum (Mo) behaviour in selected molten salt (LiCl-KCl). Thermodynamic modelling was used to study, first, speciation in the selected melts and, second, formation Gibbs energies of different s...
Conference Paper
Full-text available
As nuclear installation at Paul Scherrer Institute (PSI) the department HOTLAB (AHL) is obligated by the Swiss regulator to serve a management system according to the IAEA Standard GS R-3. The Laboratory of Nuclear Materials (LNM) as well as the AHL has to fulfill the ISO 9001 standard as a major request from their customer’s side (fuel industry an...
Conference Paper
Full-text available
For the detection and control of nuclear fuel samples and monitoring with respect to criticality safety, the 1998 from PSI developed KBuch program has been used. In autumn 2011, a logic error was detected in the software during a routine booking with extraordinary nuclear fuel. This bug was reported to the national regulator ENSI and appropriate ad...
Article
Full-text available
Article
Full-text available
Article
Full-text available
Article
Full-text available
Article
Full-text available
Article
Full-text available
Article
Full-text available
Article
Full-text available
Die Diskussion um die Brennstoffkreisläufe ist geprägt vom jeweiligen Standpunkt und Hintergrund der Beteiligten. Die Interessenlage eines Wissenschaftlers, welcher auf dem Gebiet der Brennstoffherstellung forscht, liegt in vielen Punkten diametral entgegen der eines Verantwortlichen für die Brennelemente-beschaffung eines heutigen Kernkraftwerkes...
Article
Full-text available
Ein Hotelsaal am Abend: Hektisch treffen Industrielle, Politiker, Wissenschafter und Techniker zusammen, um einem hochrangigen Redner zu lauschen. Wir sehen Männer und Frauen, Jung und Alt beim anschliessenden Stehempfang miteinander diskutieren. Der geneigte Leser des Bulletins denkt sich nun, das kenne ich, auf dem SGK-Apéro war ich auch schon. D...
Conference Paper
Full-text available
Swiss energy policy is focused on generating domestic electric power without combusting fossil fuels for already four decades. Roughly 60% of the electricity is generated in hydroelectric plants, which is possible due to the country’s favourable topography; the remaining 40% are produced by the country’s five nuclear power plants. As in any other c...
Conference Paper
Full-text available
One of the main issues in planning future Nuclear Power Plants is the forecast of expected production costs as well as the expected turnover for electricity. As this forecast should be extended to a plant's lifetime and include the decommissioning costs as well, economics for each of the possible reactor types have to be considered and compared. Fu...
Conference Paper
Full-text available
A predicted rising gap between electricity production and consumption in Switzerland requires both efforts for energy saving by increased efficiency as well as new modern plants. Major Swiss utilities have launched three projects for new build nuclear power plants (NPPs): The Axpo Group and the BKW FMB Energy Ltd. are planning the replacement of th...
Conference Paper
Full-text available
Financing a new nuclear power plant is challenging right from the beginning and the problem of very high capital costs during the construction phase is not the only one. Long planning periods with high risk capital as well as many political influences during a long decision and planning process are the factors that are complicating the economic mod...
Conference Paper
Full-text available
Swiss energy policy is focused on generating domestic electric power without combusting fossil fuels for already four decades. Roughly 60% of the electricity is generated in hydroelectric plants, which is possible due to the country’s favourable topography; the remaining 40% are produced by the country’s five nuclear power plants (NPP’s). As in any...
Article
Full-text available
2008: was für ein Jahr für die Nuklearbran­ che in der Schweiz! Zu feiern gab es 50 Jahre SGK, 50 Jahre Nuklearforum, 20 Jahre PSI, erstes einge­ reichtes Rahmenbewilligungsgesuch für ein neues Kernkraftwerk und zwei weitere bis Ende des Jahres angekündigt, die Fussball­ EM (es sollen auch einige Fussballfans unter den Kernfachleuten existieren), d...
Article
Full-text available
Die Schweizer Young Generation hat zum ersten Mal seit ihrem Bestehen ein Seminar durchgeführt. Im Gegensatz zum Young Generation Projekt wurde in einer gemeinsamen Gruppe, vom 11.–13. Oktober 2007 in Oberschan (SG), intensiv an der Fortbildung im Gebiet der Kommunikation gearbeitet.
Conference Paper
Full-text available
Swiss energy policy is focused on generating domestic electric power without combusting fossil fuels for already four decades. Roughly 60% of the electricity is generated in hydroelectric plants, which is possible due to the country’s favourable topography; the remaining 40% are produced by the country’s five nuclear power plants (NPP’s). As in any...
Conference Paper
Full-text available
Energy discussion how to close an electricity gap around the year 2020 in Switzerland has just started. The regulatory process to get the permission to build a new NPP includes a referendum. This means that more than 50% of Swiss people have to vote for a new NPP. It will be a great challenge to convince a majority of Swiss people to vote for a new...
Conference Paper
Full-text available
Today CO2 emission during energy production, heating and traffic is one of the biggest environmental problems around the globe. That we are running into climatic problems is already known since several decades and possibilities to solve the CO2 emissions were proposed and discussed since years, but a reduction in the CO2 emissions is not detectable...
Article
Among others, three large irradiation tests on inert matrix fuels have been performed during the last five years: the two irradiation tests IFA-651 and IFA-652 in the OECD Halden Material Test Reactor and the OTTO irradiation in the High Flux Reactor in Petten. While the OTTO irradiation is already completed, the other two irradiations are still on...
Article
A major issue in the public debate on nuclear power, is how to break down the large plutonium stockpiles. Different concepts have been developed during the last years to burn plutonium. Two such concepts are stabilised zirconia based inert matrix (IM) and thoria (T) fuels. By using of IM fuels a larger fraction of plutonium could potentially be con...
Article
Different concepts have been developed during the last decade to transmute transuranium elements (TRU) using uranium-free inert matrix fuels (IMF) in a once-through-cycle to reduce the amount of TRU in the nuclear waste. For today’s LWRs yttrium stabilised zirconia (YSZ) and other oxides like alumina, spinel or ceria have been proposed as inert mat...
Article
Nitrides have been proposed to be a suitable material for fast neutronic systems from beginning of the development of nuclear fuel. Starting with the production of uranium nitride and sesquinitrides up to mixed plutonium uranium nitrides, today's developments are inert nitride matrix materials to burn plutonium or to transmute long-lived actinides...
Article
The thermophysical properties of plutonium-zirconium nitride (0-25 at.% Pu), namely heat capacity, thermal conductivity and thermal expansion were measured on pellets produced thanks to the well established pellet pressing route. The experimental results obtained on ZrN were consistent with the existing literature data. The thermal properties measu...
Article
Full-text available
A production process for americium-bearing, uranium-free nitride fuels was modelled using the newly developed ALCHYMY thermochemical database. The results suggested that the practical difficulties with yield and purity are of a kinetic rather than a thermodynamical nature. We predict that the immediate product of the typical decarburisation step is...
Thesis
Full-text available
Transmutation of minor actinides is a possibility to reduce the toxicity of radioactive waste. For transmutation special materials and shapes of fuels components have been investigated in the last years. One aim of this work was to explore zirconium nitride as a possible inert matrix for transmutation of plutonium in a fast reactor or an accelerato...
Conference Paper
Full-text available
The properties of zirconium nitride enable an usage as inert matrix material to burn plutonium or to transmute long-lived actinides in accelerator-driven sub-critical systems or fast reactors. The production of mixed plutonium zirconium nitride pellets with 20, 25 respectively 30 at% plutonium is the aim of this study. The powder is fabricated by c...
Article
Zirconium nitride has been proposed as inert matrix material to burn plutonium or to transmute long-lived actinides in accelerator-driven sub-critical systems or fast reactors. In combination with the possibility to fabricate specially shaped fuel pellets, e.g. barrel with a hole, an innovative fuel would be designed to reach higher burnup.The curr...
Article
In the FUJI project (Fuel irradiation for JNC and PSI) Japan Nuclear Cycle Development Institute, NRG Petten and Paul Scherrer Institute will perform an irradiation experiment in the high flux reactor (HFR) at Petten. The behaviour of various types of fuels (MOX with 25 % Pu) under irradiation will be compared in order to give information on their...
Article
With the direct coagulation casting (DCC), it may be possible to fabricate specially shaped fuel pellets to reach higher burn ups. This work aims for using the DCC process for mixed plutonium zirconium nitride annular pellets. Zirconium nitride has been proposed as inert matrix material to burn plutonium or to transmute long-lived actinides in acce...
Article
Pore size distribution, porosities and consequently derived densities are key parameters for the qualification of inert matrix fuel (IMF). Porous features must be determined accurately for assessing the in-pile behaviour of the fuel. The analytical methodologies to measure porosities are revisited. The paper discusses in a comprehensive way the res...
Conference Paper
Full-text available
With the direct coagulation casting (DCC), it may be possible to fabricate specially shaped fuel pellets to reach higher burn up’s. This work aims for using the DCC process for mixed plutonium zirconium nitride annular pellets. Zirconium nitride has been proposed as inert matrix material to burn plutonium or to transmute long-lived actinides in acc...
Conference Paper
Full-text available
With the direct coagulation casting (DCC), it may be possible to fabricate specially shaped fuel pellets to reach higher burn up’s. This work aims for using the DCC process for mixed plutonium zirconium nitride annular pellets. Zirconium nitride has been proposed as inert matrix material to burn plutonium or to transmute longlived actinides in acce...

Network

Cited By