Many existing and newly constructed bridges are reinforced and prestressed concrete bridges. Advanced concrete materials play an increasingly important role in concrete bridges: to facilitate the strengthening and repair of existing bridges, to facilitate a (fast) replacement solution for (a part of) an existing bridge, and for the design of new challenge bridge projects. The development of advanced concrete materials, and their structural applications, is thus an important topic in the built environment.
This Special Issue brings together research and practical applications, from the perspective of material scientists and bridge engineers, for the application to new and existing bridges. Contributions related to (but not limited to) the following topics are welcome:
• Design of concrete bridges or bridge elements using advanced concrete materials
• Repair of existing concrete bridges using advanced concrete materials
• Strengthening of existing concrete bridges using advanced concrete materials
• Testing of bridges built with advanced concrete materials
• Long-term performance of bridges built with advanced concrete materials
• Case studies of relevant bridge projects
• Sustainability and life-cycle analysis of bridges using advanced concrete materials
• Development of advanced concrete materials for bridge engineering applications
• Relation between advanced concrete materials and construction execution aspects
Research articles, case studies, review papers, and short communications are welcome for submission to this Special Issue. I hope that these contributions will provide a good overview of the state-of-the-art of advanced concrete materials in bridge engineering. Therefore, I would like to invite you to submit your paper for this Special Issue and to share this call for papers with your colleagues.