Question
Asked 18th Jul, 2020

How do you do calculation for preparing silver thiosulfate?

hi every body. silver thiosulfate (STS) is an ethylene inhibitors that enhance shoot organogenesis.
the following is the preparation of STS according to sigma aldrich web site:
Prepare a 0.1 M Sodium Thiosulfate (STS) stock solution by dissolving 1.58 g of Sodium Thiosulfate (Product No. S7026) into 100 ml of water. Prepare a 0.1 M Silver Nitrate stock solution by dissolving 1.7 g of Silver Nitrate (Product No. S7276) into 100 ml of water. Store the stock solutions in the dark until needed to prepare the STS.
In general, the STS is prepared with a molar ratio between silver and thiosulfate of 1:4, respectively. Nearly all of the silver present in the solution is in the form of [Ag(S2O3)2]3-, the active complex for ethylene effect inhibition.
Prepare a 0.02 M STS by slowly pouring 20 ml of 0.1 M silver nitrate stock solution into 80 ml of 0.1 M sodium thiosulfate stock solution. The STS can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a month. However, preparation of the STS just prior to use is recommended.
for preparung media I need 5 mg/ L STS. would you please help me in calculation?

2nd Jan, 2021
Faisal Saadawy
Horticulture Research Institute
100 micromol = 7.91 ppm or mg/L

Silver Thiosulphate synthesis, how to?
Question
1 answer
  • Joost BakkerJoost Bakker
I need to prepare a solution with Silver Thiosulphate.
So far it fails, and the solution has black particles in it.
Can anyone provide me with some practical guidelines to make this work?
I tried this;
Dedicated to a Better Way of Life through Plants TMPhytoTechnology Laboratories, Inc.Product Information SheetPhytoTechnology Laboratories, Inc. P.O. Box 13481; Shawnee Mission, KS 66282-3481 Phone: 1-888-749-8682 or 913-341-5343; Fax: 1-888-449-8682 or 913-341-5442 PREPARATION OF SILVER THIOSULFATE (STS) SOLUTION Silver Thiosulfate (STS) is commonly used to block the action of ethylene in plant cell cultures. Ethylene is a hormone that is present in the gaseous state. Ethylene increases during senescence and ripening, and has been shown to increase in plant cell cultures due to wounding or the presence of auxins. Silver nitrate may be used alone to block the action of ethylene but it is not transported as well as STS thus is seldom used alone. Prepare a 0.1 M Sodium Thiosulfate (STS) stock solution by dissolving 1.58 g of Sodium Thiosulfate (Product No. S 620) into 100 ml of water. Prepare a 0.1 M Silver Nitrate stock solution by dissolving 1.7 g of Silver Nitrate (Product No. S 169) into 100 ml of water. Store the stock solution in the dark until needed to prepare the STS. The STS solution is prepared with a molar ratio between silver and thiosulfate of 1:4, respectively. Nearly all of the silver present in the solution is in the form of [Ag (S2O3)2]3-, the active complex for ethylene effect inhibition. Prepare a 0.02 M STS by slowly pouring 20 ml of 0.1 M silver nitrate stock solution into 80 ml of 0.1 M sodium thiosulfate stock solution. The STS can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a month. However, preparation of the STS just prior to use is recommended.
My thoughts and questions;
Could I use a bigger volume of water, to deteriate the solutions of Silvernitrate and sodium thiosulphate, to have avoid precipiation?
Would it be possible, by evaportation to condentrate the final solution with Silver thiosulphate?
I am not much of a chemist so i hope these are basic questions, to be solved with rather simple solutions.
Best regards Joost.
-----

Abstract: The majority of diseases or syndromes are consequences of Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS)- induced oxidative damage. Silver nitrate (SN) is a widely used compound in many fields such as animal treatment and industry, which makes it an intensive pollutant for air and soil. This results in a continuous exposure of both human and animals to SN...
Penile gangrene is a rare but fatal complication of calciphylaxis in end-stage renal disease (ESRD). To date, there are no guidelines on its management, and outcomes are generally poor with high mortality rate. We present a case of a diabetic patient with ESRD presenting with dry gangrene of the glans penis due to calciphylaxis and successfully tre...