Question
Asked 18th Mar, 2022

Will the surface charge density be uniform?If not, where will it be minimum?

A thin, circular disc of radius R is made up of a conducting material. A charge Q is given to it, which spreads on the two surfaces.
Will the surface charge density be uniform? If not, where will it be minimum?

George Dishman
Thales Group, UK
Thank you Joerg Fricke, those are excellent resources.

Elias Sadeghi Malvajerdi
Shahid Beheshti University
Certainly the surface charge density is not uniform. The surface charge density is highest at the margins and lowest at the center of the disk.
Best regards
Elias Sadeghi Malvajerdi
Shahid Beheshti University
Of course, what I said was assuming that the material of the disk is homogeneous and isotropic and the surface of the disk is smooth and polished.
Stam Nicolis
University of Tours
A homework problem, that's stated in ambiguous terms, which leads to endless discussions. This is material that's part of a course, not part of research.
What is, hopefully, taught is what is needed to make unambiguous statements, not statements that don't mean anything.
23rd Mar, 2022
Mohit Rattanpal
Bhabha Atomic Research Centre
Elias Sadeghi Malvajerdi Shouldn't the charge density at all patches on the flat surface be uniform as the curvature is same there??
23rd Mar, 2022
Mohit Rattanpal
Bhabha Atomic Research Centre
Stam Nicolis Actually I have encountered this problem while I have been studying Electrodynamics from a textbook where the answer to this problem is not given. The author has himself asked to discuss such conceptual questions with friends. So i posted on Research Gate.
23rd Mar, 2022
Elias Sadeghi Malvajerdi
Shahid Beheshti University
The electric charge accumulates at the edges and sharp points. Therefore, the electric charge should have a maximum value at the edges of the disk, and the farther we go from the edges to the center, the lower the electric charge should be.
Paul Pistea
Try to find it by using derivative on set functions
George Dishman
Thales Group, UK
I'd be interested in the answer this as well. It's not homework for me, I'm recently retired and this is just a pet project. My aim is to calculate the path of a charged particle fired at an acute angle towards any point on charged disc. What I've found so far are these discussions on the field and the potential which may be helpful:
Joerg Fricke
FH Münster
when I don't "see" the answer to a problem immediately, I find it sometimes worthwhile to play around with the help of a math program. For example, with integrals such program replaces a heavy book like Gradshteyn, Ryzhik: "Table of Integrals, Series, and Products", and if an integral cannot be solved symbolically, it can be solved at least numerically for a few cases.
Assuming a unit disk, and using polar coordinates (r, φ), for a charge at a certain point (p, 0) on the surface one can split the surface into an inner disk with radius = p - ϵ and an outer ring with inner radius = p + ϵ, for a small ϵ (and outer radius 1, of course). Then one can write an equation for the r component of the force (the φ component is zero due to symmetry) which takes into account the 1/d^2 dependence of the force (d being the distance between p and an arbitrary point on the disk) as well as the angle of the force. 2D integration over the inner disk and over the outer ring results in the forces exerted by both, and addition gives the total force. Please see the attached figure 1. Since this procedure involves no term expressing a dependence of charge density on location, it covers evenly distributed charge, and figure 1 refutes this idea: Except at the center, the total force isn't zero, so the charge density would change (here, positive values stand for centrifugal forces and vice versa).
If the term to be integrated is expanded by a factor modeling a charge density dependent on r, then the results change accordingly. The correct term, 1/sqrt(1 - r^2) in the case of a unit disk, results in figure 2. In this case, the total force is zero everywhere, except at the edge of the disk.
These notes by Ted Bunn might be of interest because they explain how to arrive at the correct term:
George Dishman
Thales Group, UK

Why do textbooks that refer to relativity tell us that time and space should be given equal footing?
Question
  • L.D. EdmondsL.D. Edmonds
I don't even know what the mathematical definition of "equal footing" is, but I do understand the meaning of the postulate (which I am not complaining about) that the laws of physics are expressible in a way that can be used by all observers. However, given this postulate that I accept until convinced otherwise, this still does not imply any equivalence between time and space. They have some similarities in the Lorentz transformation in special relativity but they also have profound differences, including:
1. The most obvious difference is human perception that perceives time differently from space.
2. On a more mathematical level, the metric tensor has only one eigenvalue having the sign for the time coordinate and three eigenvalues having the opposite sign for spatial coordinates.
3. Still using math, the time coordinate can always be used as the parameter in the parametric equations representing a particle trajectory, while other coordinates can serve this purpose only for special cases.
4. Because of the usefulness of time as a parameter (see item 3), Hamilton's equations give time a special role.
5. Constants of motion in any physics topic refer to quantities that do not change with time.
6. Getting more mathematical, but really referring to Item 5 above, the topic of field theory identifies field invariant quantities as spatial volume integrals that are constant in time.
So why are we told to treat time and space in the same way?
Extracting the transmission amplitude for the photoemission using a quantum mechanical model?
Question
  • Victoria Madeleine BjellandVictoria Madeleine Bjelland
I am following the model explained in this paper:
which could give a good estimate of the QE regardless of wavelength.
However when it comes to this equation 6, I don't see how they get the transmission amplitude (Tn) out since it is inside a summation.
I am also having difficulties seeing the restriction for the fourier components l.
On the left side of the equation is dirac-delta(l), what kind of restrictions does this lead to the value of l?
About Riemann's Hypothesis and Quantics
11 replies
  • Akram LouizAkram Louiz
Famous mathematicians are failing each day to prove the Riemann's Hypothesis even if Clay Mathematics Institute proposes a prize of One Million Dollars for the proof.
The proof of Riemann's Hypothesis would allow us to understand better the distribution of prime numbers between all numbers and would also allow its official application in Quantics. However, many famous scientists still refuse the use of Riemann's Hypothesis in Quantics as I read in an article of Quanta Magazine.
Why is this Hypothesis so difficult to prove? And is the Zeta extension really useful for Physics and especially for Quantics ? Are Quantics scientists using the wrong mathematical tools when applying Riemann's Hypothesis ? Is Riemann's Hypothesis announcing "the schism" between abstract mathematics and Physics ? Can anyone propose a disproof of Riemann's Hypothesis based on Physics facts?
Here is the link to the article of Natalie Wolchover:
The zeros of the Riemann zeta function can also be caused by the use of rearrangements when trying to find an image by the extension since the Lévy–Steinitz theorem can happen when fixing a and b.
Suppositions or axioms should be made before trying to use the extension depending on the scientific field where it is demanded, and we should be sure if all the possible methods (rearrangements of series terms) can give the same image for a known s=a+ib.
You should also know that the Lévy–Steinitz theorem was formulated in 1905 and 1913, whereas, the Riemann's Hypothesis was formulated in 1859. This means that Riemann who died in 1866 and even the famous Euler never knew the Lévy–Steinitz theorem.
How do we justify replacing total potential with external potential in the Langrangian for electromagnetic fields when the sources are point charges?
Question
  • L.D. EdmondsL.D. Edmonds
For those that have the seventh printing of Goldstein's "Classical Mechanics" so I don't have to write any equations here. The Lagrangian for electromagnetic fields (expressed in terms of scalar and vector potentials) for a given charge density and current density that creates the fields is the spatial volume integral of the Lagrangian density listed in Goldstein's book as Eq. (11-65) (page 366 in my edition of the book). Goldstein then considers the case (page 369 in my edition of the book) in which the charges and currents are carried by point charges. The charge density (for example) is taken to be a Dirac delta function of the spatial coordinates. This is utilized in the evaluation of one of the integrals used to construct the Lagrangian. This integral is the spatial volume integral of charge density multiplied by the scalar potential. What is giving me trouble is as follows.
In the discussion below, a "particle" refers to an object that is small in some sense but has a greater-than-zero size. It becomes a point as a limiting case as the size shrinks to zero. In order for the charge density of a particle, regardless of how small the particle is, to be represented by a delta function in the volume integral of charge density multiplied by potential, it is necessary for the potential to be nearly constant over distances equal to the particle size. This is true (when the particle is sufficiently small) for external potentials evaluated at the location of the particle of interest, where the external potential as seen by the particle of interest is defined to be the potential created by all particles except the particle of interest. However, total potential, which includes the potential created by the particle of interest, is not slowly varying over the dimensions of the particle of interest regardless of how small the particle is. The charge density cannot be represented by a delta function in the integral of charge density times potential, when the potential is total potential, regardless of how small the particle is. If we imagine the particles to be charged marbles (greater than zero size and having finite charge densities) the potential that should be multiplying the charge density in the integral is total potential. As the marble size shrinks to zero the potential is still total potential and the marble charge density cannot be represented by a delta function. Yet textbooks do use this representation, as if the potential is external potential instead of total potential. How do we justify replacing total potential with external potential in this integral?
I won't be surprised if the answers get into the issues of self forces (the forces producing the recoil of a particle from its own emitted electromagnetic radiation). I am happy with using the simple textbook approach and ignoring self forces if some justification can be given for replacing total potential with external potential. But without that justification being given, I don't see how the textbooks reach the conclusions they reach with or without self forces being ignored.

Mecanografiado Tesis (Magister Scientiae en Física Fundamental)-- Universidad de Los Andes, Facultad de Ciencias, Postgrado en Física Fundamental, Area de Electrodinámica Clásica, Mérida, 2002 Incluye bibliografía
Chapter
In this chapter we present a brief overview of classical electrodynamics in attenuating media. The formulas presented here are useful to understand the origin, behavior, and value of the attenuation coefficients that are used for the design, modeling, and simulation of optical and radio frequency (RF) underwater communication systems.
This book is a manual for the course of electrodynamics and theory of relativity. It is recommended primarily for students of mathematical departments. This defines its style: I use elements of vectorial and tensorial analysis, differential geometry, and theory of distributions in it. Russian version of this book was published in 1997 under the app...