Question
Asked 19th Jun, 2021

Why butyl acrylate adhesive dos not form a uniform film on pre-treated propylene?

I have synthesized a pressure-sensitive adhesive containing 37 % butyl acrylate and 3% acrylic acid and sodium lauryl sulfate as surfactants in nitrogen atmosfer. After synthesizing, I noticed that the adhesive forms an island shape on the surface of the pre-treated propylene film, and the adhesive film is not uniform.

Popular answers (1)

21st Aug, 2021
Abdelkader BOUAZIZ
SOUGUEUR Division - Chemistry (POLYMERS), Université Ibn Khaldoun Tiaret
Dear all, in addition to the valuable answer of Prof. Frank T. Edelmann, I think it is difficult to screen the reasons regarding the multiple variables involved, but I strongly suspect the uneven surface modified polypropylene. This means a surface characterization should be done first. My Regards

3rd Aug, 2021
Frank T. Edelmann
Otto-von-Guericke-Universität Magdeburg
Dear Ruhollah, sorry to see that your interesting technical question has not yet received an expert answer. We work in synthetic inorganic chemistry, so that I would not call myself a proven expert in polymer chemistry. I assume that by "pre-treated propylene film" you mean polypropylene, right? My guess is that the sodium lauryl sulfate surfactant could play a key role in the unexpected performance of your pressure-sensitive adhesive (PSA). Perhaps the sodium lauryl sulfate is not compatible with the non-polar surface of polypropylene. In this context please have a look at the following potentially useful article entitled:
Screening Experiments for Butyl Acrylate/Vinyl Acetate Pressure-Sensitive Adhesives
Unfortunatey this paper has not been posted as public full text on RG. However, the corresponding author has an RG profile (https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Marc-Dube-2). Thus there is a good chance that you can request the full text directly from this author via RG.
In this study the authors used either sodium dodecyl sulfate or partially hydrolyzed poly(vinyl alcohol) (= PVOH with a molecular weight of 22,000 and a degree of hydrolysis of 80%, commercially available from Cevol) as surfactant components. Apparently the partially hydrolyzed poly(vinyl alcohol) gave significantly better results on PET surfaces. Thus it might be worth a try using this PVOH in your experiments too.
Good luck with your research and best wishes, Frank Edelmann
21st Aug, 2021
Abdelkader BOUAZIZ

Lithium metal is considered to be the "holy grail" electrode due to its high theoretical energy density and low potential. However, Li dendrite growth and high reactivity of Li metal towards the electrolyte result in a poor coulombic efficiency and raise safety concerns for lithium-metal batteries (LMBs). Herein, we attempt to integrate artificial...
In the fabrication of a-Si photoreceptor for electrophotography (Fig.1), it is important to understand physical and chemical reactions in glow-discharge plasma [1] in order to improve film quality and to achieve high deposition rate [2] and uniformity of the film, because of its thickness of about 30 μm and large area.