Question
Asked 4th Aug, 2020

Which Organizational Performance can Organizational Resilience Capability predict? Which connections with Sustainability?

Dear colleagues,
I am working on a measurement model based on capabilities to measure organizational resilience capability (ORC). Given that I could only focus the study on the antecedents of ORC with a microfoundational approach, I would instead like to develop the model a bit more and find an outcome variable that could depend on the different levels of ORC that I will assess. Let's call this missing outcome variable "variable Y" for the moment.
I am also trying to connect the current COVID-19 pandemic to ORC, expecting to find a better response of more resilient organizations with respect to Y. Finally, as I work on Sustainability, I wouldn't mind Y to be related to sustainability too. I was thinking about something such as the difference between "perceived" and "expected" sustainable organizational performance, expecting lower differences to be connected to higher level of ORC. What do you think about that? It is not easy to find a direct link between an outcome variable and ORC. Any suggestions?

Lilian Hupkens
University of South Africa
Hi again, my previous reaction may seem a bit too critical. However, my experience is that when the underlying presumptions of your questions are brought to light by careful and critical questioning by others, that leads often to insights where you can answer your own questions because your own thinking has developed. Wishing you success!

Popular answers (1)

Muhammad Yahya Qureshi
KRIC (Knowledge Research & Innovation Center), Pakistan
Dear Giacomo Buzzao
Seeing all that you have explained, it seems that you are trying to develop a holistic model that can integrate micro, meso and macro levels. Therefore you need to go to individual level (micro of both organization & holistic concept), then to organization's highest level (macro of the organization and meso of the concept) as well as beyond organizational level (macro). I am working on a similar holistic approach but area is a bit different; Individual and Collective Organizational Mindfulness by integrating Micro, Meso and Macro levels. Micro elements effect the outcomes at Meso level, such as Organizational Collective Performance, simultaneously the Meso level (Leadership, Policies, Procedures, Resources and Attitudes etc) effect the elements at Micro level. Beyond that at Macro level certain factors factors also effect which are beyond control of the organization, such as National Policies, Natural Disaster, Pandemic like COVID-19).
I think first you need to conceptualize your concept in clarity . After specifying the CONCEPT ( Organizational Resilience), then derive DIMENSIONS from the concept (Anticipate, Coping and Adaption and so on), further derive FACTORS (Internal as well as external to the organization) from dimensions and finally derive ELEMENTS from factors. After you have done that place DIMENSIONS at macro, FACTORS at meso and ELEMENTS at micro and your CONCEPTUAL Model is automatically formed. Then think, discuss and fine tune your model.
I am sending you few figures which I developed for my thesis and fuhrer for my ongoing project and hope they might help you as guideline in formulating your Model. i am available for further help if you need me. Regards

Béatrice Marianne Ewalds-Kvist
Stockholm University University of Turku Finland
Health-care organisations are linked to moral resilience and basic school organisations are linked to child abuse and neglect:
Adaptability to change- Economic cycles ,in technology,in product profile,in customer preferences and in HR practices( in combination) will be the vitality for organizational resilience.All these factors may occur in combination independently or in groups in varying degrees at different times.
The cause and the intensity have to be factored and appropriate interventions have to be customized specifically.
Solaiman Elsheikh
Benha University
interesting
Muhammad Yahya Qureshi
Dear Giacomo Buzzao
Giacomo Buzzao
University of Groningen
Dear Muhammad Yahya Qureshi I really appreciate the time you took to provide me with this very insightful answer. You're right, I am working on a holistic model based on different levels. However, more than deriving and identifying Dimensions, Factors and Elements, I was also looking for an outcome variable, a performance variable (such as for instance Organizational Performance), related to sustainability. You're answer really helped me making clear some aspects I mistakenly gave for granted, thanks again.
Muhammad Yahya Qureshi
Dear Giacomo Buzzao
Thanks for your such gratified comments, I am always available for discussion and help. Regards
21st Aug, 2020
Muhammad Yahya Qureshi
Dear Giacomo Buzzao
I have few words from my thesis that present how I transformed existing concept of Mindfulness into Organizational Holistic Concept. which might seem interesting to you and probably invoke some new thoughts/ mechanism for your study model. Please read the following link.
Sana Noreen
University of Lahore
follow
Lilian Hupkens
University of South Africa
Some questions:
What is the reason you want or need to broaden the research question? Do you lack data, is it to do with microfoundational approach, a term unfamiliar to me.
What methodological pathway are you following?
A. do you want to construct a model first and then compare it to the measured reality?
B. Or, do you want to do research in organisations first , measure reality, and then see what jumps out at you that you could define as “variable Y”?
I would recommend pathway B because you can substantiate it with your data.
Linking this with sustainability and covid19 would be a third and fourth step.
Before you know it, you are developing ideology such as “resilient organisations are also sustainable”. And adding Covid19, your idealogical statement becomes “resilient org’s cope better with Covid19 than others, AND are more sustainable.”.Is that science? It would be if you have the data for this, unless ypur subject is only building a model.
Lilian Hupkens
University of South Africa

Recommendations

The restructuring of global value/supply chains gained increasing attention as the unprecedented COVID-19 echoed around the world. Yet, the COVID-19 related theory-driven, large scale quantitative, and empirical studies are relatively scarce. This study advances the extant literature by empirically investigating how do firms in the global food valu...
Origins Center to open at Fundamentals of Life in the Universe symposium
Sponsored Content
On 31 August, Louise Vet (director of the Netherlands Institute for Ecology, NIOO-KNAW), Ben Feringa (University of Groningen, Nobel Prize winner for Chemistry 2016) and Rens Waters (general and scientific director of the Netherlands Space Research Institute SRON) opened the Origins Center, in front of an audience of over 200 delegates at the Fundamentals of Life in the Universe symposium.
The Fundamentals of Life symposium was held on the Zernike Campus of the UG. Nineteen speakers from the Netherlands and abroad discussed the various aspects and challenges in the search for the origins of life. In conclusion, Stan Gielen, chair of the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO), spoke about the future of the Dutch National Research Agenda.
Origins Center
The Origins Center is a virtual pooling of resources, bringing together leading Dutch researchers from the fields of astronomy, biophysics, ecology, molecular and evolutionary biology, planet and earth sciences, chemistry, mathematics, informatics and computational science, all focusing on the origins of life in the broadest sense of the term. In July, NWO awarded the Origins Center a grant of € 2.5 million for a three-year programme involving a number of preliminary research projects. The programme includes developing a virtual centre designed to support collaboration between these researchers and similar centres elsewhere in the world. The Origins Center will also initiate projects relating to science communication.
The Center’s programme entails five three-year projects, focusing on the origins of life-bearing planets and life on planet Earth, the predictability of evolution, the malleability and controllability of life, modelling planet Earth as an exoplanet and the mathematical understanding of the effect of emerging phenomena on underlying organization levels in natural systems. The projects will serve as a joint basis for a larger, longer-lasting scientific programme designed to provide pioneering insight into the phenomenon ‘life’ on astrophysical, planetary and molecular scales.
More information? Check our website: http://www.origins-center.nl/