Question
Asked 31st Oct, 2014

Where can I find geNorm Excel sheet?

I want to evaluate reference genes stability, do you know where I can find geNorm excel sheet? or another alternative tool?

Amy Smith
University of Georgia
Carlos Gaete-Eastman they are Ct values. If I recall, it's a simple tab-delimited file with the different reference genes that were tested as columns labeled across the top row, and the their reported Ct values for each sample in the rows below. The example looks messy because of the tab spacing. Your data can be organized in Excel or any spreadsheet or even basic text file very easily, before pasting into the website.

22nd Mar, 2015
Brandon Hendrix
University of Central Florida
Here's the GeNorm excel sheet so you don't have to bother trying to learn python. Also attached GeNorm manual and a couple other excel methods (NormFinder and BestKeeper), an example for how to input data for NormFinder (I have nothing for BestKeeper, sorry) and the seminal papers for all 3 algorithms in case you were interested in the nitty gritty.

31st Oct, 2014
Vincent Bloks
University of Groningen
31st Oct, 2014
Michael B Black
ScitoVation
I don't have the link handy, but there is a python library named "eleven" that implements the geNorm algorithm. Should be findable online with a search. 
1st Nov, 2014
Ahmed Mostafa Hassan
Medical University of Graz
Thanks Vincent and Michael..the link to phyton libraray is available..on genequantification.info..but I would prefer using excel sheet...
1st Nov, 2014
Michael B Black
ScitoVation
Well, as explained here - http://medgen.ugent.be/~jvdesomp/genorm/ the old excel sheet is no longer distributed so you may find it impossible to download from anywhere.  You could try using the free 15 day trial of gbase+ (linked to from that site).
I think the BioConductor package NormqPCR also implements the geNorm algotithm in R.
2nd Nov, 2014
Vincent Bloks
University of Groningen
Good suggestion from Evelyze
3rd Nov, 2014
Ahmed Mostafa Hassan
Medical University of Graz
Thanks Michael, Evelyze, and Vincent. The website seems to be most convenient and comprehensive, I will start with it. 
3rd Nov, 2014
Ahmed Mostafa Hassan
Medical University of Graz
I started using the web site suggested by Evelyze. Unlike the software I used previously, it doesn't provide the combinations evaluation automatically....To get the combination values, I calculated the values for geometric means of the combination, and put them as a reference gene, Is this the way for evaluating combinations, or Genorm Algorithm has a different formula for evaluating combinations?? 
22nd Mar, 2015
Brandon Hendrix
University of Central Florida
Max Ingberman
Universidade Federal do Paraná
Brandon, thank you for the files!
I was looking for some of those during the last couple months!
Have you checked in your assays if the results on the different platforms are similar?
Brandon Hendrix
University of Central Florida
I have not had the chance to cross-check any of them, unfortunately. Sometimes, they do give different answers, so it may be best to do all 3 and do a final ranking based on the geometric mean of each reference gene candidate's scores from all 3 algorithms. There's also a website that can do just that for you: http://www.leonxie.com/referencegene.php#
Max Ingberman
Universidade Federal do Paraná
Fantastic!
Thanks, Brandon!
Ahmed Mostafa Hassan
Medical University of Graz
Thanks :)
Changzheng Xu
Southwest University in Chongqing
Thanks so much!
Maria Thomas
PHC Europe B.V.
You can try our new LEMming tool, described here:
LEMming: A Linear Error Model to Normalize Parallel Quantitative Real-Time PCR (qPCR) Data as an Alternative to Reference Gene Based Methods
Alejandro Ibáñez-Costa
Instituto Maimónides de Investigación Biomédica de Córdoba
Leonxie webpage is not available since July: http://www.leonxie.com/referencegene.php#
Do you have an alternative? This site was very useful to choose the best reference gene.
Zeeshan Niaz
Hazara University
Have you found any alternative to http://www.leonxie.com/referencegene.php# ? @ Alejandro Ibáñez-Costa ·If yes please share here, Thanks
Ahmed Mostafa Hassan
Medical University of Graz
Thanks Maria, Alejandro, and Zeeshan
Ralf-Leslie Meilenbrock
Max Planck Institute for Biology of Ageing
RefFinder apparently got moved here: http://fulxie.0fees.us/?type=reference
Ahmed Mostafa Hassan
Medical University of Graz
Thanks Ralf
Petra Disterer
University College London
Dear Jamila,
The leonxie.com link seems to be defunct. Apparently, this one is the new one:
It should not require you to download or install anything as it is an online webtool.
EDIT: 2018-10-25 The above link and http://leonxie.esy.es/RefFinder/ are not working anymore either, but this seems to work:
Jörg Panzer
Fraunhofer Research Institution for Marine Biotechnology EMB
I just checked the RefFinder, seems like a handy tool. But it looks like you can only insert the raw Cq values and no efficiencies. That would mean in the case of different efficiencies of your primer pairs, the calculation of the stability values would be flawed.
What do you think about that?
Amy Smith
University of Georgia
Hi @Jorg Panzer, I have also just used RefFinder for the first time, having given up on BioGazelle/geNorm, and am very happy with the results!  I generated my Cq data in LinRegPCR from the "raw" Rn data off the pcr machine. LRP calculates the exact efficiency of each individual well, and analyzes the mean efficiency per target/amplicon/gene. You can use the individual efficiency, or the mean in your post-analysis. It also sets a threshold for each, and then calculates the Cq. I would think this is more accurate than running the efficiency separately (as you are talking about). At any rate, that's what I'm doing.  LRP is very easy to use.  Its real goal is to back-calculate the pre-amplification concentration of a sample (N0), and to use those numbers to calculate relative expressions, but you can use the Cq values to calculate ddCt (the numbers from both analyses are very similar, in my experience, IF you use the Cq LRP generates.  My only two complaints is that you have to generate your errors independently - it doesn't calculate that for you, and if you are dealing with multiplate data, it gets a little complicated to compare between them, but the authors have a recommendation to compile the data in the FAQ section. 
the software download, FAQ and manual:
a youtube tutorial:
Cheers.
Jörg Panzer
Thank you Amy! I will check it out and tell you what I think about it.
Kamran Shekh
University of Alberta
Just use NormqPCR and ReadqPCR packages in R to conduct analysis. It is very easy to use and you can also get very beautiful graphs (codes are provided in the documentation).
Ahmed Mostafa Hassan
Medical University of Graz
Thanks Kamran
Ward Hellemans
Biogazelle
As described on the original geNorm page (https://genorm.cmgg.be/), the XLS-sheet is no longer available for download.  However, a much improved geNorm module is integrated in qbase+:
  • fully automatic and expert result report
  • handles missing data
  • single best reference gene identification
  • much faster
A free version for two weeks can be requested on the qbase+ website.
Ahmed Mostafa Hassan
Medical University of Graz
Thanks Ward but how much is it after the two weeks ;) ?
Ward Hellemans
Biogazelle
That information is also available on the website. Nevertheless, 2 weeks is enough for some people.
Ahmed Mostafa Hassan
Medical University of Graz
Ok, thanks Ward
22nd Apr, 2017
Nishat Sarker
Hi, http://fulxie.0fees.us/ this link isn't opening....what is the other best way ??
In Normfinder excel sheet, what need to write for ''Select input data""
Yuan Yan
Tongji University
Hello everyone, the link of RefFinder got there : http://leonxie.esy.es/RefFinder/
Enjoy!
Shweta Jha
Jai Narain Vyas University
Dear Brandon Hendrix
genorm excel sheet is opening as blank in windows 10. Nothing is there
3rd Apr, 2019
Terry Lee
UNSW Sydney
If you are still looking for the links, I've posted a new link to RefFinder that uses geNorm in another post, it's free to use, here it is: https://www.heartcure.com.au/for-researchers/
3rd Apr, 2019
Shweta Jha
Jai Narain Vyas University
Thanks
Maccus Hao Jie Wong
University of Malaya
i cant open the NormFinder excel file
NormFinder:
Microsoft Visual Basic
Run-time error '5':
Invalid procedure call or argument
and when i try to insert the column and row in geNorm Excel, it shows:
Compile error:
Can't find project or library
(Mod_Intro 37:11)
Anyone experiences the same things?
and what should i do to open the file to run the test?
Ameneh Shariati
Ministry of Education
Carlos Gaete-Eastman
Universidad de Talca
Dear Terry Lee , thanks alot sharing this webpage with RefSeq, just one question, Do you know the data format to put into the data window? There are not any guide to follow, just an example, which data seem not to be Ct values? Any Help will be great. Thanks in advance.
Can you help by adding an answer?

How can I include group numbers in RefFinder normalization tool?
Question
  • Yasmina Esther Hernández SantanaYasmina Esther Hernández Santana
I'm performing a normalization analysis of qPCR data in RefFinder (http://www.leonxie.com/referencegene.php), which uses 4 normalization algorithms: geNorm, NormFinder, BestKeeper and DDCt. I have different biological groups in my set of samples but I don't know how to include the group number when I paste my Ct values in RefFinder website. Someone know how to do it? I'm interested in this for correctly perform NormFinder algorithm in RefFinder tool. Thank you in advance.

Modern research is increasingly data-driven and reliant on bioinformatics software. Publication is a common way of introducing new software, but not all bioinformatics tools get published. Giving there are competing tools, it is important not merely to find the appropriate software, but have a metric for judging its usefulness. Journal's impact fac...
This article describes a new approach to teaching bioinformatics using Arabidopsis genetic sequences. Several open-ended and inquiry-based laboratory exercises have been designed to help students grasp key concepts and gain practical skills in bioinformatics, using Arabidopsis leucine-rich repeat receptor-like kinase (LRR RLK) genetic sequences. In...
Conference Paper
The bioinformatics software domain contains thousands of applications for automating tasks such as the pairwise alignment of DNA sequences, building and reasoning about metabolic models or simulating growth of an organism. Its end users range from sophisticated developers to those with little computational experience. In response to their needs, de...