Question
Asked 4th Dec, 2019

What is the interest to publish papers in journals which are not indexed neither by SCOPUS or by Web of Science?

Papers published in journals which are not indexed by SCOPUS or Web of Science, are not considered for the national assessment of researchers or laboratory performances in many countries. It thus would be much more interesting to publish in journals indexed by SCOPUS or Web of Science, or both . Otherwise the quality of their content may be subject to caution.
This question might overlap with the interest to publish in open-access journals, which for many of them are not indexed, - mainly because they prevent the leaders of edition from some money. Among these open access journals, there might be some good journals, but they are still considered with caution due to the situation in regard of major indexation sites.

Gil Mahe
Institute of Research for Development
Thanks
Although it takes time to create such a new free journal on line, I think it is a MUST DO thing, to stop being ruled only by the indicators of huge editors.
Then the second thing to do is to push forward among the community the seriouness of this new edition process and receive good papers to publish. We then have to convince our administrations to take into account alternative publications in the assessment process.

31st Jan, 2020
Paulo Galvão
Federal University of Minas Gerais
There is another point to be considered. Some journals are not indexed by SCOPUS or Web of Science because their articles are not written in English. However, there are good and respectful journals with very good articles written in their native languages because some specific topics are more interesting to local audiences, with more potential readings, than if these articles were published in an international journal (e.g. case studies from a specific area). Here in Brazil, the journal called "Águas Subterrâneas" (Groundwater Journal) is very important, with a good audience, but the majority of the papers are written in Portuguese.

Dean Whitehead
Federation University Australia
That is true in many cases Gil - but I believe that the rules are changing due to the advent of many more 'emerging' journals that are reputable and 'chasing' to become established as ranked journals. A highly competitive publishing market means that not everyone can publish in ranked journals. My personal advice is to try ranked journals first, and if unsuccessful, try non-ranked journals with an emerging reputation.
Gil Mahe
Institute of Research for Development
Thanks Dean
it is a wise suggestion.
Do you have any knowledge about how to find "emerging good journals" ?
I know about emerging journals by Web of Science.
I do not know about such partition with Scopus.
I think there are alternate ranking for open access journals, but always seen bad recommendations about them.
Any good information to share about this ?
thanks
Gil
Hussein El Hage Hassan
Université Libanaise, laboratoire de recherche L'EA 1210 CEDETE (Université d'Orléans)
there are reviews classified HECERS are of a high quality
Gil Mahe
Institute of Research for Development
Thomson Reuters, now Clarivate Analytics
promotes the Emerging Citation Index
which could be refered as "second class" journal citation index...
Faiza Hallouz
Université de Khemis Miliana
Hello Gil
It is very interesting this topic,
it is certain that everyone prefers to publish in indexed journals SCOPUS or Web of Science but sometimes these journals take a long time to process the submitted articles and therefore their publication can go up to 2 years or more to see the light of day Thanks
Gil Mahe
Institute of Research for Development
A list of "predatory" journals, as refered to by the Beall’s list at web.archive.org.
within which you can publish a paper, most often after a very light review and money transfer
Roland Yonaba
Institut International d'ingénierie de l'eau et de l'environnement
Dear Prof. Mahe,
I believe this recent paper, published in 2019 and presenting Kscien's list of predatory journals will be of much interest to you.
21st Dec, 2019
Gil Mahe
Institute of Research for Development
Thanks
Very interesting
21st Dec, 2019
Ibrahim Oroud
Mu’tah University
There are so many predatory journals which keep soliciting papers for submission. These journals care about money mot scoence
21st Dec, 2019
Gil Mahe
Institute of Research for Development
But this seems not so simple too me.
If you want to publish in an American journal you have to pay a very expensive amount of money. Moreover the publication is not open access unless you pay more...
So why other editors would not request being paid for publications ? This is just the same than are doing many editors.
And in the case of many of these news editors rhey offer open access free.
This is most interesting for many researchers across the world who can not afford huge edition fares.
Then the question is why a journal should be qualified as serious or not? Who decides?
The best way would be to look at the number of citations of the papers by colleagues. If the paper is cited it means that it is interesting for many.
If not cited it means that its content do not deserves much interest.
Moreover the 2 main indexes Web of Knowledge and SCOPUS are the property of huge editors... so they themselves give the rules and olay the game.
Until when?
Gil Mahe
Institute of Research for Development
Safia Taleb
University of Sidi-Bel-Abbes
Hi,
In Algeria, a PHD student cannot defend his thesis if he does not have an article (at least) classified in scientific journals selected by the national commission under the direction of the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research. This commission also publishes each year the list of predatory journals with predatory publishers
Gil Mahe
Institute of Research for Development
Thanks
the list is mainly issued from Web of Knowledge or SCOPUS, or both ?
Or it is different ?
Safia Taleb
University of Sidi-Bel-Abbes
Yes, the list is mainly issued from Web of Science and Scopus. There are also De Gruyter journals , AERES journals , CNRS ...
Here, the web site of the General Direction of Scientific Research where the journals are published
31st Jan, 2020
Paulo Galvão
Federal University of Minas Gerais
31st Jan, 2020
Gil Mahe
Institute of Research for Development
Very good remark. It is true for man,y countries.
31st Jan, 2020
Paulo Galvão
Federal University of Minas Gerais
I had manuscripts submitted to international journals in which the editor did not consider them for publication just because the topic was very local and, therefore, of low interest to the international community.
31st Jan, 2020
Paulo Galvão
Federal University of Minas Gerais
C'est la vie!
31st Jan, 2020
Salim Heddam
University 20 Août 1955 SKIKDA
Hi, Paulo, very good your comments
31st Jan, 2020
Paulo Galvão
Federal University of Minas Gerais
Thanks, Salin! :)
3rd Feb, 2020
Alberto Mannu
Mannu Consulting
Of course there is almost no interest in publishing in a not scopus- indexed journal, I agree. I don't agree with the second part of the post, which relates the open access status with the indexing. Many open access journal are indexed in scopus. ACS, RSC, Wiley, MDPI, and more, propose open access journals indexed in scopus and web of science.
Gil Mahe
Institute of Research for Development
Yes of course there are many very good open access journal which are indexed by scopus and Web of Knowledge.
Gil Mahe
Institute of Research for Development
For papers written in other langages than English, and not published in indexed journals, you can try to post their automatic translation, on RG for instance, and give the reference to the original edited paper.
This could increase their interest to a larger audience, and rise their level of citation, which would be visible by google Scholar for instance.
Alfred Awotwi
CK Tedam University of Technology and Applied Sciences (formally University for Development Studies Navrongo Campus)
Then the question is, what is preventing then from being part of SCOPUS or Web of Science? I think their mode of review and other factor that does not merit being part of SCOPUS or Web of Science. We all know that SCOPUS or Web of Science requires rigorous review which are not being considered in most of non-SCOPUS or Web of Science journals.
Ammar Anwer
University of Lahore
One of the requirements for indexation in these databases is "2 year Publication" which means journals have to be in publication for 2 years before they can apply.
Absolutely agree with policy of these databases. There must be quality checks.
Alfred Awotwi
Ammar, most of them have been in the publishing business for more than two years but still can't apply. This means there is something fundamentally wrong somewhere.
Gil Mahe
Institute of Research for Development
Yes SCOPUS and Web of Knowledge require that the reviewing process be secured and validated. I know several journals which after being newly included in SCOPUS were removed from the indexation because they could not present adequate procedures.
Md. Sirajul Islam
Manarat International University
There are many open access journals which are indexed by Scopus and Web of Science.
Md. Sirajul Islam
Manarat International University
I have found some open access journals indexed by Scopus and Web of Science.
Even the h-index more than 50.
Md. Sirajul Islam
Manarat International University
There many journals non indexed yet. Some articles' quality of non indexed journals better then some articles have been published in indexed journals.
Md. Sirajul Islam
Manarat International University
I always try to complete my scholarly part 95% to make an acceptable contribution. Before submitting in journal ether indexed or non indexed I do not relay on reviewers. On the one hand, I play my scholarly roles 95% as an author to outstanding unique contribution in my articles. On the other hand, I play 97% as a reviewer in my articles. Then I submit in journal.
Md. Sirajul Islam
Manarat International University
I belief that as I am a researcher I have to appreciate the valued readers, scientists, scholars and researchers than journals. My article will be published in indexed journals or non-indexed is not matter to me. But I am very serious about my work quality. If my works be accepted by scholars although it has been published in non-indexed journal no problem. I always appreciate my works and readers.
Gil Mahe
Institute of Research for Development
Dear Sirajul Islam
thanks for your contribution to this question.
Yes there are many open access journals indexed, and some of them with very high h index (or IF). Open access does not mean that the journals are less interesting. there are ma ny journals in the world which exist since long and where you have to pay to be published, even not open access.
But not indexed journals are not taken into account by our adminsitrations for promotion.
Fady M. A Hassouna
An-Najah National University
Gil Mahe Most of these journals are not indexed in Scopus and WOS because they do not satisfy Scopus and WOS requirements. publishing in such journals is just wasting efforts and time.
Gil Mahe
Institute of Research for Development
Dear Fady
I agree with you, with however one detail: scopus and WoS are notnal9ha andbomega of publications. They belong to huge edition compagnies which search for profit and give rules we have to.follow and vreate indicators used by administrations. This should be not the standard. We scientists do not need these editors and their rules nor pay to publish. Instead we might create new free of charge journals in web support, which could be managed fully by scientists, and be of high quality even if not SCOPUS nor Wos indexed.
Mohit Tiwari
Bharati Vidyapeeth College of Engineering, Delhi
very enriching and interesting discussion .

Presentation
In the last decade, literally thousands of papers have attested that the selectivity and affinity of aptamers are comparable or even superior to those of antibodies. Furthermore, due to their straightforward production and ideal chemical properties, aptamers could be the method of choice for the development of diagnostic devices. In spite of their...
This article is the editorial of Issue 13 of the Journal of Emergent Science. The Journal and Open Access and the papers referred to can be downloaded from the Journal's website https://www.ase.org.uk/journals/journal-of...science/.../13/jes-13-summer-2017.pdf
Most of the papers published in the more than 360 Indian open access journals are by Indian researchers. But how many papers do they publish in high impact international open access journals? We have looked at India's contribution to all seven Public Library of Science (PLoS) journals, 10 BioMed Central (BMC) journals and Acta Crystallographica Sec...