Question
Asked 25th Oct, 2017

What is the best way how to start writing a monograph?

I have signed a contract with a publishing house for a monograph and now I need to make a plan how to write the manuscript. I will write it along my other commitments and teaching obligations so I need to find a way how to be able to write the book without too much stress. I have done a lot of writing and preparations already so I hope that six months will be sufficient time to write the first draft of the whole thing.

Alisi Duaibe
Fiji National University
Look into your author's collection of genres. Identify the perspectives of writing used and then insert them cleverly into the structure of writing that you have prepared.

Elana Gomel
Tel Aviv University
In my experience, it is much easier to revise already existing output than being confronted with a blank screen. I put together drafts, previously written material, bits and pieces of research, and then revise and knit it all together.

Ben Stickle
Middle Tennessee State University
One method I used was to set aside some time every day (say an hour) and then always write. Turn off the email and phone and write. Even if the next day you don't like it, just write. I have found that forcing yourself to write every day helps promote a habit, keeps you thinking about the topic, and helps you get something (as I said even if its poorly written) on paper, which is key. Also, make a note of when you are most productive as a writer. For me, it's late at night so I often set aside time in the evening to write.
Roland Berberich
Edinburgh Napier University
As Ben suggests having a writing habit surely helps. However, you never know when interesting ideas come up so I suggest being ready to note things down at any moment and actually do it.
Other than that, on the actual writing, I found Dragon Naturally Speaking a great tool to put thought and content on paper fast.
Kind Regards
Roland
Elana Gomel
Tel Aviv University
31st Oct, 2017
Matúš Mišík
Comenius University Bratislava
Thank you very much for your recommendations and suggestions. They are all very useful and I am currently trying to find out what will be the best possible strategy for me. I have already started to work on the book so thanks for helping me to kick-start this project!
Kacper Szulecki
Norwegian Institute of International Affairs
I also think that writing based on re-writing, like Elana suggests, helps to get you started. Writing habits are fine, but sometimes its better to put aside not 1h a day for a month, but rather 4-5 full days straight and just get into it. Plus - think of chapters as small articles - you've written plenty of these, maybe that will just help to lift the pressure off.
Ian Kennedy
University of the Witwatersrand
The best thing I did to start my monograph was to get 2 co-authors.
Alper Baysan
ETH Zurich
My experience as a writing tutor and author has taught me two things: first, take your time to prepare a detailed concept (work with bullet points, use concept speak) where you detail the contents of each chapter down to the section. The concept is your ’building plan; like that of an architect or engineer. Based on the bullet points of your concept construct thematic paragraphs and formulate text. This way you can take breaks between writing sessions and take up from where you left. Second and relatedly, with a concept you don’t need to write all at once. As a guidepost it will help you back on track even if you manage other tasks and jobs inbetween. Generally I recommend: whenever you sit down to write, reserve larger time blocks (say 6-8 hours) fully dedicated to writing up texts. This is crucial for getting into the so-called ’flow’ which will also help you feel more satisfied at the end of the day and reduce frustrations.
good luck with your book project!
Ian Kennedy
University of the Witwatersrand
Review the literature!
Saif Aldeen Saad Alkadhim
Xi'an Jiaotong University
Dear
define the problem in specific area , solve it , get impact , write what you get , that's All.
Regards

-----

Presenting and publishing are closely linked. Although many authors are later asked to speak, the reverse is also true. Many presenters are asked to author manuscripts based on their presentations. This author who is experienced in professional presentations and editing gives tips to nurse authors on how to develop a manuscript from a presentation.