Question
Asked 23rd Jul, 2013
Deleted profile

What is the best open source CFD Software? SU2, OpenFOAM, ...

Recently, open source simulations software attracted so much attention. What is your idea about the best one for CFD simulation?
I, personally, prefer the SU2 since it based on fortran, but what about you?

Mohamed Salem
National Research Nuclear University MEPhI
excuse for those who said Su2 aren't C++ based, I have found that on their website; ((The SU2 Foundation is an educational and scientific not-for-profit that will bring together computational scientists and engineers through the SU2 Foundation platform. The SU2 Foundation develops, maintains, and supports a collection of C++ and Python-based software tools for performing Partial Differential Equation (PDE) analysis and solving PDE-constrained optimization problems))
So I will repeat the question what could be better, and easy to learn specially for nuclear reactor application??
thanks

Deleted profile
Hi Amir,
We work with wind turbine simulations using our own open-source CFD software, Fluidity: https://launchpad.net/fluidity (or http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/earthscienceandengineering/research/amcg/fluidity), and includes modelling solid-fluid interactions (though this is work in progress). It's hard to write down a series of disadvantages for any software. I would read the manuals for each, see if they have any existing examples similar to what you want to do and go from there.
Hope that helps

23rd Jul, 2013
Christiano Garcia S. Santim
CEPETRO-Center for Petroleum Studies
Dear Malvandi,
OpenFoam is a more embracing software. SU2 based on Fortran language is similar to use UDFs (user defined functions) in the Fluent writing in C++ or Phoenics using your own language. To find the best software you should specify the work area. For example, to simulate chemical reactions employing Fluent and OpenFoam its so difficult that it is necessary to employ other additional softwares to do it.
23rd Jul, 2013
Mohsen Lahooti
Imperial College London
Dear Amir,
I'd like to add a note to Chris's Answer. Nowadays OpenFoam has gotten a lot of attension but since its Class based ( which is one of its best properties) its a little bit difficult to modify and develop. Use the one you are most comfortable to develop and change.
Deleted profile
Actually, I want to know disadvantage of these softwares? I want to work with wind turbine simulations.
Deleted profile
Hi Amir,
Hope that helps
Vijai Kumar
Delft University of Technology
I am sorry for a very late reply but SU2 is written in C++ and glued with python. So you can drive it very easily. OpenFoam has become a much more of a bigger phenomenon than SU2 and it is gaining popularity for a lot of commercial applications too which isn't the case in SU2. 
UPDATE: Things have changed. If you want to do external aerodynamics simulations, jump straightahead to SU2. It is good for Internal aerodynamics too. I don't know why so many people downvoted my answer though. 
Ran S Sopher
Perrydigma Research LTD
Could anyone please recommend an open-source software which s/he finds the most 'user-friendly' (intuitive GUI, easy to learn, etc.)? 
Stewart A Bible
We've recently published an article making a comparison of popular CFD packages that I think you will find useful:
Best of luck,
Stewart
Bidesh Sengupta
Gyeongsang National University
I wish to understand SU2 code, what can be the good point to start?
Can you help by adding an answer?

Conference Paper
The design of centrifugal pumps needs a detailed understanding of the internal flow. The prediction of the flow inside the pump is comple due, mainly, to the rotation and the curved three-dimensional shape of the impellers, and its intrinsic unsteady behavior. Using computational fluid dynamics CFD codes, the flow behavior predictions are quite goo...
Conference Paper
Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulation were carried out for the separation of carbon dioxide and methane through a spacer filled narrow membrane channel. This CFD codes was used to study the flow profile for gas separation in a spiral wound membrane module. The availability of CFD simulation study to reveal gas permeation properties and flow...
A two-fluid modelling approach with interface sharpening is applied for numerical simulations of flooding waves in air-water co-current flow in vertical pipe. The simulation capability of Neptune_CFD code is analysed. The results are compared with experimental data and with the simulations performed with the computational code ANSYS CFX. Isothermal...